Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Motor for the bomber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Motor for the bomber

I'm wanting to upgrade my bomber. And I'm thinking of either the tekin pro4 HD or the ROC412. When I looked them up other than can size and shaft size they seemed basically the same. So what's the difference between the two. And lets throw the Holmes hobbies puller pro in there too. They all have similar kv's and similar prices.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Default Re: Motor for the bomber

Holmes Puller Pro all day long! Friend of mine runs the ROC and the Holmes and says the Holmes is much smoother. I run the 2200kv but it's geared a little for speed and still crawls really well. ( both my buddy and I are running these in our Bombers)
Dornbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know a guy who put one of Traxxas' Titan 21t motors in his and runs it with stock gearing on 3s, sounds like it runs fine, more than enough power by the sounds of it.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornbox View Post
Holmes Puller Pro all day long! Friend of mine runs the ROC and the Holmes and says the Holmes is much smoother. I run the 2200kv but it's geared a little for speed and still crawls really well. ( both my buddy and I are running these in our Bombers)
Thanks, I wonder how it compares to the pro4 hd.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

i have a titan 21t in mine and i think it is great. only got it because the stock motor died on day 1
and that is what the LHS guy said to try out. I have been running it on 3s.

Monday morning, however, I am ordering a puller pro 3500!
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

can some one please post the stock gears with the tooth count for each.

and the stock tire heights. I will add a tab to my spreadsheet for the rr
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

32 pitch, 12/64 pinion and spur respectively. Tire height stock is right at 5.5
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
Thanks, I wonder how it compares to the pro4 hd.
I have ran both a Pro4 HD 3000kv and now the Puller Pro 540 XL 3500kv. The two motors look very similar physically as far as can diameter and length, and both have a 5mm rotor shaft. I have to give the Pro4 HD a slight edge as far as low-end smoothness goes. Hard to explain, but the Pro4 HD kicks in at just a little less pull of the trigger and starts crawling. The 540 XL takes a little more pull of the trigger to get going, and starts at a little higher speed. Very negligible difference, but I did notice it. What the 540 XL lacks in smoothness at the low end when compared to the Pro4 HD, it more than makes up for it in overall punch and speed. It just feels like it has so much more torque and definitely a higher speed. You really notice that extra 500kv that the 540XL has when comparing those two motors. Ran both motors with a MMX and kept the settings the same. Also used the same 13t 32p pinion. No actual data logged. Just going off how the two motors felt from the Tx in my hand. Take it for what it's worth.

They make a Pro4 HD in 3500kv that you could test out, and maybe the two will end up feeling exactly the same. However, Tekin doesn't recommend 3s on their 3500kv Pro4 HD motor, and Holmes is clearly good with it. 3s is what I run in this thing, so I'm sticking with the Holmes motor. Would like to test the standard 540 one day to see the difference.

Last edited by smittycm; 01-03-2016 at 03:03 PM.
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycm View Post
I have ran both a Pro4 HD 3000kv and now the Puller Pro 540 XL 3500kv. The two motors look very similar physically as far as can diameter and length, and both have a 5mm rotor shaft. I have to give the Pro4 HD a slight edge as far as low-end smoothness goes. Hard to explain, but the Pro4 HD kicks in at just a little less pull of the trigger and starts crawling. The 540 XL takes a little more pull of the trigger to get going, and starts at a little higher speed. Very negligible difference, but I did notice it. What the 540 XL lacks in smoothness at the low end when compared to the Pro4 HD, it more than makes up for it in overall punch and speed. It just feels like it has so much more torque and definitely a higher speed. You really notice that extra 500kv that the 540XL has when comparing those two motors. Ran both motors with a MMX and kept the settings the same. Also used the same 13t 32p pinion. No actual data logged. Just going off how the two motors felt from the Tx in my hand. Take it for what it's worth.
I found pretty much the same thing. I think that John even notes that the XL has a bit higher startup level. Designed with the Yeti in mind.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterSpec View Post
I found pretty much the same thing. I think that John even notes that the XL has a bit higher startup level. Designed with the Yeti in mind.
Thanks guys! I'm looking for a u4 motor and it sounds like the puller pro is the way to go.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #11

I'm a little low on funds so I'm going to try a CC 1410 4pole 3800kv that I have laying around with an MMX, hope to get good results so that I don't have to pay $150 for another motor.
adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #12

Adonis:
How did the 3800kv work out? I am just about to order that same set up (Mamba X with 3800kv)
Bawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Im using a HH PP 540 3500kv in mine with stock gearing and pitbull growler 2.2s. And i think its a great set up. Good for some crawling and speed when ya want it. Very smooth motor imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I know a guy who put one of Traxxas' Titan 21t motors in his and runs it with stock gearing on 3s, sounds like it runs fine, more than enough power by the sounds of it.
I have a Titan 21t and I like it (though, I have caught the brushless bug). At the top end, it is about as fast as my nine-year old running. Also, a buddy and I just got back from crawling and we tested in the parking lot to see who could go slower. He has an SCX10 with Novak Goat 3s and I could actually creep along slower than he could.
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have the Titan 21T setup with the Axial 2 speed trans (faster gearing installed), 43/13 gears in the axles, and Rock Beast 2 5.75" tires. It is close to perfect for my use with excellent low speed control and sufficient high speed to have fun but not overpower the chassis. I briefly tried the motor out of my Yeti in the Bomber, it was nothing but rollovers and a lack of control as speed and significant cogging at low speed. I figured I'd run the Titan 21T motor for a while and then upgrade, but on 3S is seems to be holding up great while saving me significant $$$. If it died tomorrow I would go get another for $20 and run it for another year rather than spending big bucks. I already spent big bucks upgrading most everything in the driveline, axles, links, steering, steering servo, wheels/tires, etc. I would rather spend some upgrade money on a 1/18 scale Yeti with a brushless setup.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor for the bomber - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Motor/ESC in RR10 Bomber sean_cj7 Axial RR10 Bomber 27 09-11-2017 02:15 PM
Bomber width Crazysammi87 Axial RR10 Bomber 2 12-28-2015 06:12 PM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM
Where is the Bomber made? skybolt Axial RR10 Bomber 4 12-22-2015 08:55 AM
Backwoods Bomber Duuuuuuuude 1.9 Scale Rigs 153 06-11-2012 08:41 AM