Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build

This is my version of the Bomber. I took the motor, ESC, servo and 2 speed out of my yeti. (HH Puller Pro 3500, MMX and Futaba BLS172SV. Only upgrades right out of the box are KNK hardware, Avid bearings and under drive gears in the rear.

First time getting dirt on the tires. I'm running Voodoo KLR's silver on Y Town aluminum wheels.

The power plant. I wish the receiver box was bigger. It is crammed full.
Got my lights hooked up
KMC winch sitting on Wertymade mount and HeyOk wireless winch controller.

So far I love driving this rig. Coming from a yeti it is night and day difference. It is so balanced, turns sharp and actually crawls. I'm going to try hard and leave it stock for as long as I can. It just works so good out of the box. Hope y'all dig. Any questions? Just ask. I got lots of build pics. Figured I needed to post a build finally cause I enjoy following so many others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blkbart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build

What sort of and how did you attach the lights? I have some small CoB style LEDs I'm thinking of mounting as rock lights.

#CamBrady2017
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I love driving mine too! My other trucks are slow scale crawlers. My Bomber is fast and can crawl.
I would sure like more pics and photos of your winch installation if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How do you like those wheels?
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
What sort of and how did you attach the lights? I have some small CoB style LEDs I'm thinking of mounting as rock lights.

#CamBrady2017

I used DinkyRC 1" Rock lights, http://www.dinkyrc.com/collections/e...k-lights-large
It took me a long time to figure it all out. I stared at it for a while and then finally dug in and started cutting and soldering wire. Best place for me was to put them next to the shocks. Keeps them safe and free from roost. In the front I have 8 wires, 4 for rock lights and 4 for headlights. I reduced those down to 2 wires. I used 24 gauge red and black speaker wire. I did the same in the rear and added an extra wire so I can add an amber in the future. Ran those wire together and ran the positive to a on/off switch so I can, self explanatory Name:  IMG_0241.JPG
Views: 1238
Size:  30.5 KB
They both run to a mini Deans connector. On my ESC I have 2 extra leads with mini Deans. 1 for BEC and 1 for lights Attachment 1 I have to point them straight down to clear the shock but they should still get the job done. This was a little bit of a project but I went little by little, double checked myself often and eventually it was done.

Attached Images

Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
I love driving mine too! My other trucks are slow scale crawlers. My Bomber is fast and can crawl.
I would sure like more pics and photos of your winch installation if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a couple Losi crawlers, very slow so I got the Yeti and tried to crawl with that but wasn't completely working out so the bomber if right in between. Faster than the Losi and crawls way better than the Yeti.

Here are some pics of the winch.
The mount is Wertymade, http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/wm-bsp.htm. It mounted up really easy. Only issue was the spacers that came with it, like 3mm, were too small. The servo was touching so I went with 6mm. It still was barely touching so I add 9 mm spacers to the rear only so no more contact with the servo. I thought about drilling holes in the plate cause it is big, to reduce weight but probably not that big of deal. the Hey Ok wireless winch controller with JST plug https://www.freewebstore.org/HeyOK-P..._15353011.aspx I attached the receiver to the right body panel The remote I just velcroed my controller. I went wireless because I'm using my 2 extra channels for the 2 speed and Drag brake adjustment.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by utieh View Post
How do you like those wheels?

They kick ass. I needed nice wheels for the Voodoo KLRs. I originally got them for my Yeti cause I kept breaking Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt wheels, I loved the price of the CI's. So for strength Jake @ Y Town Crawlers didn't tapper my P1's.
I feel I'm more performance oriented than scale so I really like them. They definitely stand out when I go crawling with others.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

It's been a while. Time to show some progress pics. Truck has evolved and I lost the battle of trying to keep it stock.

I am super happy with the truck. I get nervous with upgrades, wondering if they are worth it? So far so good. The performance has improved and I think it looks pretty sweet too. Just a couple more items and some tuning left.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hey man nice steup, looks real clean are those dlux solid knuckles and if so how did they fit and work?
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 AM   #10

Sweet looking Bomber! What axle housings and diff covers are you using?

The spokes on those wheels look thin. I'm surprised they can take the abuse of a Bomber.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build

Sweet rig! Thanks for the tips about mounting the winch. I was thinking of making a mounting plate, but the WertyMade option with the spacers looks great!

Do you have a link for the winch?

Last edited by Thloftus; 01-31-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinsocal View Post
Hey man nice steup, looks real clean are those dlux solid knuckles and if so how did they fit and work?

They are Dlux knuckles. They fit great and worked excellent. I tested over the weekend and was pulling lines I couldn't before. My buddy had a stock Bomber so it was easy to compare. There is a lot more weight now. I went to 50w shock oil to compensate. So far so good. I have another set of Dlux knuckles on my yeti so I was familiar with them.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sweet looking Bomber! What axle housings and diff covers are you using?

The spokes on those wheels look thin. I'm surprised they can take the abuse of a Bomber.

Stock axle housings with Dlux U4 trusses. http://www.dluxfab.com/#!/AR60-Wrait...egory=12405705. The diff covers are from Locked Up Rc http://www.lockeduprc.com/AR60-14-Bo...ver_p_863.html I got the scale bolts to match. Not needed for performance but I love how the metal covers get beat up by the rocks.

The wheels are solid. They appear thin but I can't imagine breaking them. If I do it's because I drove off a 250 foot cliff and the entire truck will be totaled. Then still I bet the Y Town P1 wheels will still be good.

Last edited by blkbart00; 01-31-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Sweet rig! Thanks for the tips about mounting the winch. I was thinking of making a mounting plate, but the WertyMade option with the spacers looks great!

Do you have a link for the winch?

I bought the winch through Blue Monkey a long time ago. http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=245 but to be honest it is pretty cheap. I looked up the servo and it's a $10 servo. It does not work that smoothly either. Fortunately I don't use it too much.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 PM   #15

The scale bolts on the diff cover are what I'm seeing. That looks great! My only concern is getting those screws out once they get beat up by the rocks.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The scale bolts on the diff cover are what I'm seeing. That looks great! My only concern is getting those screws out once they get beat up by the rocks.

Only 4 have to be removed and I'll probably swap them out for regular button screws to make trail repairs easier. The rest are in there permanently. They are faux bolts. I glued them in and cut them flush.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #17

Great idea! Is the hardware from Locked Up RC?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Great idea! Is the hardware from Locked Up RC?
Yes and I bought the tool from KC tools online for a few bucks
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbart00 View Post
Yes and I bought the tool from KC tools online for a few bucks
Are they Wiha brand?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbart00 View Post
They are Dlux knuckles. They fit great and worked excellent. I tested over the weekend and was pulling lines I couldn't before. My buddy had a stock Bomber so it was easy to compare. There is a lot more weight now. I went to 50w shock oil to compensate. So far so good. I have another set of Dlux knuckles on my yeti so I was familiar with them.

Thank you sir. Great detailed pics, exactly the info i was looking for. Both rides look sweet and the yeti looks like its ready to kick someones arse! Haha
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Blkbart's RR10 Bomber kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Petition axial for RR10 bomber kit.... colorado chaos Axial RR10 Bomber 23 04-18-2016 07:25 AM
Axial RR10 Bomber Kit Version? Wes S. Newbie General 11 04-10-2016 05:10 PM
MIP kit for Axial RR10 Bomber Blue Monkey RC Axial RR10 Bomber 9 03-25-2016 10:49 AM
Stage 1 Suspension Kit for RR10 Bomber Blue Monkey RC Axial RR10 Bomber 19 03-17-2016 08:30 PM