Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: MIP Install Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MIP Install Help

Bought a combo of new wraith mips and a used yeti rear mip.

For the front wraith mip, does this look right? Does the fat shaft or skinny shaft go on the drive shaft or does it not matter?

It seems like there is some binding on compression and also some rubbing on the lower link at compression. Maybe won't be issue when I assemble with the shocks installed.

This is the used yeti rear which is too long by about ~1/2". But it seems like it's the right pieces? What am I missing?

Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: MIP Install Help

Yeti rear fits fine.

The Wraith shaft was too long for me, had to use two short ends and clearance the boss on the rx box.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The front shaft has a wraith end on the trans which is making the male end too long. Swap that end out for a regular scx type end and the shaft won't be too long anymore.

Do you have the stock length trailing arms on the rear? That looks like the correct parts for that application.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Front: Okay, I will swap out the larger end on the drive shaft with same size as the axle end?

Rear: I have vp trailing arms and incision upper links. Are those ends correct?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes swapping the ends will fix your length issue up front. It sounds like you have the right parts in the back.

Is your rear pinion is rotated too far down the shaft will be too long. You'll have to unscrew the ends on the upper links a bit to correct that if that is the case.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Whelp, I swapped out the longer end for shorter end on the front. I get interference with the receiver box with the "bell" of the drive shaft. Still can't figure out the rears...may just get the supershafty bomber MIP package.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The supershafty package is exactly what you have. Take a razor and cut the bottom on that tube off the rx box. It's plastic, just cut it.

The rear takes a standard yeti MIP. If you're trying all this on a bench with the truck assembled don't fight it. It will fit fine.

I believe I was the first one with MIPs on a bomber? I pre-ordered the RTR and had them installed the day the truck showed up. Checked my thread, MIPs were installed December 1st 2015, been on there for a while.

Last edited by maslin; 08-21-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I hear ya and thought the same, but the supershafty package is different.

The front mip uses the longer hub on the output side which allows it to clear the receiver box per my first attempt. So they must have shorter shaft piece since they use long hubs on each end.

As for the rear, it's so far off that I cannot connect the axle to the links after installing it. When you look at the ends on the supershafty package and even the yeti mip rear package, the hubs look shorter than what is on the used one I bought. So perhaps the used one had the ends swapped out.

Supershafty rear hub

My rear hub

Old 08-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Standard yeti kit fits, probably too long if you have longer ends.

The Wraith center shafts with two wraith/ax10 short ends fits the front just fine. Trim 3mm of plastic.

Grab the correct yeti ends and you're good to go. $16.

for Axial Yeti #14391, ,(14391) by MIP X-Duty 5mm Drive Hub 2pcs

Last edited by maslin; 08-21-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

In the super shafty pic, it looks like the front shaft has long ends on both sides.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
In the super shafty pic, it looks like the front shaft has long ends on both sides.
It does. That's how they get the length back after using a male end from an old ax10 dig rear driveline.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok, was curious about that. How much different are the lengths of a front scx shaft and the wraith/bomber? I have a spare set of scx mips laying around, could it be used on the front of my bomber?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think scx should fit directly on the front of a bomber. The rear can be used for parts once you have the correct male end.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'll give it a try and post the outcome. So far the stock ones are holding up for me.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Forgot I have to take the cage off to get into the driveshafts. Did some reading on the Mip site and the scx/wraith kits do use the same bones. The only difference I noticed in the parts list is that the wraith has 2 of the long drive hubs and 2 of the standard drive hubs while the scx has 1 long hub and 3 standard hubs.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Okay, I think I got all the right parts now. The front is installed with no issues. The rear will now install but it's almost bottomed out to get it in. Therefore there is binding when the rear is flexed. I even unbolted the transmission to install it as to prevent binding. It's like the rig is 1/4" too short in the rear.

Installed in rear are the following:

AR60 axle housing
Stock shocks
VP Yeti Trailing Arms
VP Yeti Sway Bar
Incision SS Upper links

Here is a photo from the Harley Budget Build video and it shows some of the spline exposed after installation. On mine there is no spline exposed since it's almost bottomed out.

Here is a photo showing the connection at the transmission. It's odd that the rear output shaft is longer but I believe that is normal.

Thoughts? What other photos should I take to help trouble shoot this. Really frustrated.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I like my mips as close as possible to bottoming out under full compression so I have full engagement of the splines. Take a picture of your rear shock/link mount. Depending how yours are, you might be able to flip it and will extend your axle a few more MM and should make it not bind.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Good suggestion, I will snap some photos when I get home from work. I may take the whole rear end apart, then hook up the drive shaft first, then add each component back one by one to see what starts it to bind.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

What's your pinion angle like out back? Did you change trailing arms and upper links at the same time? I'm wondering if you have wraith length trailing arms or something of the sort causing the fitment issue.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I have vp yeti length trailing arms for sure (my wraith length, currently not installed, are JEC)....with that said I did buy the incision wraith link kit and incision yeti upper link kit at the same time. I sold a pair of the wraith lower links (front and rear were same length) and kept the rest. So on the side (not installed) I have the wraith length upper links and wraith length JEC trailing arms. The wraith length upper link is clearly shorter than the links currently installed. So I think I am good there.

Do you want a photo of the pinion angle with the rear MIP installed or with the wild boars installed. Note I have no issues with the wild boars.

MIP Install Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIP install question Kit 11116 (driveshafts) IPT Axial Wraith 11 06-06-2014 10:53 AM
Which MIP stub axle will fit MIP AX10 center driveline cups ?? sweli General Crawlers 2 11-08-2011 06:59 PM
Getting ready to install my MIP :) mr_manny Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-24-2008 02:18 PM
MIP TLT CVD Install - Q's RE: tips/tricks? gr33nlite Newbie General 17 10-28-2007 12:46 PM