Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build

Can you flip the pinion the other way?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Maybe shorten up the shaft by grinding or filing? Then you know its still true.
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Can you flip the pinion the other way?
The hole for the shaft does not go all the way through the pinion, so I can't stick it in the other end.
supra_89t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_89t View Post
The hole for the shaft does not go all the way through the pinion, so I can't stick it in the other end.

I've been on the road and not 100% here nor there. I'm home and see what you're saying. It's a 10 tooth and impossible to have a hole through it.

Can you snip off 1-2mm from end of the motor shaft then file it down to fit in the pinion?
Old 02-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I've been on the road and not 100% here nor there. I'm home and see what you're saying. It's a 10 tooth and impossible to have a hole through it.

Can you snip off 1-2mm from end of the motor shaft then file it down to fit in the pinion?
Haha. No worries. You had me scratching my head for a minute wondering if I was just missing what you were saying.

I could shorten the shaft, but I would much rather modify a $10 gear than a brushless motor. My shorter pinions should be here Monday, but if I get a chance this weekend I will play around with it and see if I can drill it out.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #26

I gotta get my post count up...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
huntinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Mailman just showed up! Tonight, we build! (I hope)

Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Alrighty! I did some terrible looking soldering and heatshrinking and put it in the car last night to make sure it worked. It works! (Sort of) With the sensor wire plugged in, at very light throttle, the pinion just rapidly moves back and forth. With the sensor cable unplugged, the car moves, but it definitely doesn't feel right. It won't lift a tire from a dig and is not very fast. It is odd...but I have a castle link coming in tonight and hopefully that will shed some light on what is going on.

Terrible soldering. I think I may have used too much solder. On one of the connectors, the solder actually ran out the hole and wicked into the gaps on the banana connector so I had to do some squeezing and filing to get it to fit into the female end.

Funky heatshrinking. I used the kind with the adhesive on the inside to help seal better. You can see the solder in the connector on the left with the blue wire.

Titan 550 21t vs Tenshock SC411 4000kv

It fits! I put the 11t pinion on it to start with. Once I get the gremlins worked out, I will pick my favorite of the 11, 12, 13t.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

If it's not 'feeling' right have you swapped the leads around yet?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
If it's not 'feeling' right have you swapped the leads around yet?
Not yet. I thought about it last night, but I wasn't sure which ones to swap and it was late. So I am going to look into that tonight. "They" say that it doesn't matter which ones you switch, which seems odd. Is it really ok to switch any two wires?
Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Yep. Usually the middle one goes to the middle of the other. Then just swap the two outer ones.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yep. Usually the middle one goes to the middle of the other. Then just swap the two outer ones.
Ah. Ok. There's a good chance mine is hooked up all wrong. lol
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Castle Link and Quick Connector just showed up along with the set of professionally broken-in wheels and tires donated by notajerryskid. Thanks for the donation! They will be put to good, hard use!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Found some time to get this thing wired up and installed. I put the Tenshock SC411 4000kv motor in with an 11t pinion. I didn't feel like messing with the 2700kv Gforce. I'm glad I didn't. The Tenshock is pretty fast, but I'm not astonished. I think I would have been disappointed in the 2700kv motor. Who knows. Maybe I'll put it in later.

Motor is mounted. Trying to figure out where all these dang wires are supposed to go.

Field link card and quick connect. the quick connect is worth it's weight in gold. I can't imagine having to open the receiver box every time I want to make a tuning change.

All bundled up. Rough draft. I have parts to paint and clean, so I just got it all in there for now. I will tidy it up later. Maybe. I got it set up so that nothing is attached to the cage, so I can undo the skid and shocks and lift the body off. It is so much easier to work on that way.

Taking this thing apart is such fun! I seem to find something else broken every time I get into it. The joys of buying used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by supra_89t; 02-28-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Ok, so I am following the directions as I read them, but sometimes I read into things that are not there. I cannot get the Castle Field Link card to connect to the esc when attempting to use it as a field link. It connects and updates fine when I plug it into the computer with the usb, but when I plug it in to make a change without the computer, I cannot get it to link. The esc just keeps beeping and all the led's are flashing and the fan turns on and gradually increases in speed until I turn the switch on the esc off.

As near as I can tell from the instructions, the only difference between plugging it into the computer and using it as a field programmer is that you plug the battery in and do not plug the mini usb from the computer into the card. So, I plug the battery in to the rc (esc switched off), plug the same castle quick connect connector into the programming card, and then turn on the esc switch. It does some startup beeps and then goes into all three led's flashing, beeping and the fan running faster and faster and faster. The instructions say that this may be an "unrecognized esc" error and to update the software, but the castle link software prompted me and I updated both the card and the esc last night before I did any tuning.

Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_89t View Post
Ok, so I am following the directions as I read them, but sometimes I read into things that are not there. I cannot get the Castle Field Link card to connect to the esc when attempting to use it as a field link. It connects and updates fine when I plug it into the computer with the usb, but when I plug it in to make a change without the computer, I cannot get it to link. The esc just keeps beeping and all the led's are flashing and the fan turns on and gradually increases in speed until I turn the switch on the esc off.

As near as I can tell from the instructions, the only difference between plugging it into the computer and using it as a field programmer is that you plug the battery in and do not plug the mini usb from the computer into the card. So, I plug the battery in to the rc (esc switched off), plug the same castle quick connect connector into the programming card, and then turn on the esc switch. It does some startup beeps and then goes into all three led's flashing, beeping and the fan running faster and faster and faster. The instructions say that this may be an "unrecognized esc" error and to update the software, but the castle link software prompted me and I updated both the card and the esc last night before I did any tuning.

Any ideas?
For me, I originally had the same issue, with all the lights flashing and then I realized I needed to update the field card, and then it worked.

But I don't use the Castle quick connector, I connect the ESC directly to the card. Don't know if it matters, but might be worth a try?
*Old* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Just fyi, instead of the quick connect, a simple 3" extension added works since it puts the connector on the outside of the rx box to hook up to castle link.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Old* View Post
For me, I originally had the same issue, with all the lights flashing and then I realized I needed to update the field card, and then it worked.

But I don't use the Castle quick connector, I connect the ESC directly to the card. Don't know if it matters, but might be worth a try?
I had the same thought since that seems to be the error message I am getting, but I ran through the update process a couple of times. Perhaps I was just updating the esc firmware, it was late. I'll double-check my work. It struck me as odd that it would work just fine when hooked to the computer, but not on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Just fyi, instead of the quick connect, a simple 3" extension added works since it puts the connector on the outside of the rx box to hook up to castle link.
This is why I post these things...that is a really good idea.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

I think I found my answer. From Castle's Website:
Quote:
5. Can I use the Field Link Programming Card with a Quick Connect?
It is not designed to operate with the Field Programming Card as a standalone unit. If you plug a Y harness into the Field Programming Card and connect one side of the Y harness to the Quick Connect and connect a 4.8v to 6v source to the other side of the Y harness it will function properly.
Quote:
Note: Neither Quick Connect, nor Quick Connect Duo will work with the Field Programming Cards when used as a standalone programmer. It will ONLY work when using the Field Programming Card as a Castle Link adapter.
So...that 3" extension is looking mighty useful right about now. Geez. It is not a big deal, it was only a few bucks more than the teeny tiny castle link, but I was excited about tuning in the field. :( I guess I will have to build some sort of power harness.

Last edited by supra_89t; 03-01-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #40

2000UZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

First real RC - Craigslist find - Super-budget build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Killer Craigslist find! Bansh88 Chit Chat 6 08-25-2013 02:48 PM
My craigslist find! New to trailing,,,, Demodude Axial SCX-10 61 05-23-2013 10:48 PM
Awesome craigslist find! must see! shadowrejects Chit Chat 3 08-12-2010 09:09 PM
craigslist find gyrene General Scale Talk 15 10-28-2009 06:01 AM
Craigslist Find Shaun Chit Chat 10 05-07-2009 02:48 PM