Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My craigslist find! New to trailing,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Demo's Honcho to Wroncho Build Thread AKA- The Classifieds build

Building This rig with almost all Classified purchases from RCCrawler!

This is my first 1:10 in about 23 years. I come from the era of Losi Jrx2's, Tamiya Blackfoot's, Clodbusters and 4 minute batteries.
I kept telling myself that "I don't want a SCX-10", until I found a ad on Craigslist. I got it for $225. Came with a Nimh battery, aluminum links and steering.
I fabricated a front bumper mount that raised the bumper by about 20mm. I didn't like how the bumper would hit rocks before the tires would bite in.
I ordered a 20t stock Wraith motor because I would like a touch more speed. Eventually I'd like to buy a clear body and paint it black or possiably paint the outside of the body in a matt black.
I'm keeping this car pretty low budget, oh I also got a 5000mah 2s lipo for some extra run time-The thing never dies!.
A quick Q, can you adjust the drag brake on the stock ESC?

Thanks for looking, If you have any suggestions please let me know. I may add some spacers to clock the front and rear pinions to a better angle.
What C hubs are available that are already clocked back for better steering?
Attached Images

Last edited by Demodude; 05-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My craigslist find! New to trailing,,,,

for better steering get cvd`s fro the front and then high clearance knuckles so the arm doesnt hit the screw right behind it. also think about trying the overdrive trick basicly changing the gearing on the front diff to 36t/14t some people also do the rear underdrive trick which is think it 46t/13t.

for the drag brake you will either need a castle link cable then download the software onto your computer windows only it wont work a mac or a field programmer a program card that you plug into your esc from what ive heard

Last edited by boohoo; 04-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
for better steering get cvd`s fro the front and then high clearance knuckles so the arm doesnt hit the screw right behind it. also think about trying the overdrive trick basicly changing the gearing on the front diff to 36t/14t some people also do the rear underdrive trick which is think it 46t/13t

Yes, I've been looking for the part numbers for the front Overdrive mod, Do you have a link?, Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 36T/14T here u go they also have the knuckles and under drive gears and here is the link to program ur stock esc http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...sc_09-2012.pdf
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks Mark32, that was really helpful! I'm going to order the overdrive gears and clockable c hubs. I did an overdrive mod on my MRC and it was so fantastic, I hope it's as noticeable as that was
Old 04-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think in stock form the esc is set at 50% , you can set it to 100% but will need a castle link and the software..

-sent from my smarter than me phone
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Another quick Q, I've been reading about the CMS setup. What is the purpose of CMS? Scale looks? Does it equal better or worse steering performance? Is the panhard setup with CMS purpose so the steering doesn't shift the chassis over instead of steering? Hope that made sence
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

CSM is just an apperance thing, there isnt any "real" performance gain cept higher COG.

Panhard bar simply removes bump steer caused when the axle travels and the servo is mounted on the chassis. The tires will turn before the chassis will be moved as they weigh less.

So if you wanted your truck to perform, keep the weight low. if you want to look scale, get a CMS and a panhard bar.
you CAN run without a panhard bar, but as the axle shifts left to right the tires will turn slightly.

Welcome to the world of 1/10 from the micro 1/24. It's awesome
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post

Welcome to the world of 1/10 from the micro 1/24. It's awesome

awwww man you blew my cover! J/K. If I had the funds this truck would become a Wroncho quick. I may have to sell my Micro Wraith to fund some new parts.....
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #10

nice to see someone from the old school of RC Demodude. i still have my Blackfoot, midnight Pumpkin & Clodbuster. they were all purchased new in 1985-86 & still run! allthough they dont see much action now days. IMO, CMS doesnt improve perfomance, it raises COG, from what ive read & seen it can cause steering problems, for looks only, & i dont get that either. IMO!!! overdriving the front, underdriving rear is an excellent upgrade.I agree w boohoo , CVD's & alum. chubs & knuckles help alot too. the scx-10 is a blast to run & work on. good luck with your build.
dlm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm7 View Post
nice to see someone from the old school of RC Demodude. i still have my Blackfoot, midnight Pumpkin & Clodbuster. they were all purchased new in 1985-86 & still run! allthough they dont see much action now days. IMO, CMS doesnt improve perfomance, it raises COG, from what ive read & seen it can cause steering problems, for looks only, & i dont get that either. IMO!!! overdriving the front, underdriving rear is an excellent upgrade.I agree w boohoo , CVD's & alum. chubs & knuckles help alot too. the scx-10 is a blast to run & work on. good luck with your build.

Thanks man!, Yeah, these run times are blowing my mind. I ran my truck for 3 days on the same charge!!!!??? Ok, they were 20min sessions but, wow.
I like the scale look of the truck but I bought it for max fun and a bit of bashing. I'm going to do some non scale things to it like going to some 2.2 tires and I'll widen the stance with some wheel wideners. I'm not going to do CMS

Here is what I did with my front bumper:

Scx10 front bumper mod
Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Enough people do the Bumper lift mod I can't believe nobody has manufactured one as a stock appearance optional upgrade.
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
Enough people do the Bumper lift mod I can't believe nobody has manufactured one as a stock appearance optional upgrade.

There is a manufactured bracket on in this video from Martin on Rcbits Honcho Front Bumper Modification & Rear Bumper Axial SCX10 trail TR Hop-Ups - YouTube

I basically followed the basic shape but his triangle is backwards because he's using a dingo bumper

Last edited by Demodude; 04-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

For better performance, get a smaller battery. The huge battery sitting up high is not a good thing. Long runtime is great but not at the expense of performance. With a 35T motor, a 2650mah lipo should be good for 1.5-2hrs. Also, get some weight in those wheels if there isn't already.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Wow, 4 minute battery runs? Dang, I get over an hour on one battery or 2.2 miles. RC'ing must have been hard back in the day.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
For better performance, get a smaller battery. The huge battery sitting up high is not a good thing. Long runtime is great but not at the expense of performance. With a 35T motor, a 2650mah lipo should be good for 1.5-2hrs. Also, get some weight in those wheels if there isn't already.
I actually moved the battery perpendicular and behind the front axles like a lot of people do, I like the lower cog..

Just placed an order with RPP which includes:
Mip driveshafts
Overdrive front gears
Clockable c hubs
Jun Fac wheel wideners
Cvd's

And from EBay:
Axial Wraith 2.2 wheels and ripsaw tires

I'm going to experiment with a few ideas..... So much for the budget build!!!

Last edited by Demodude; 04-17-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Yup. There aren't many budget builds around here. Try as people may, once the bug bites, there is no going back.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

All in all, the upgrades were under $175 which keeps me in the "normal upgrade" catagory.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New life to an old body

As you could see, the truck body was really scratched up so I wet sanded and pumiced the body to take out as many scuffs as possible. I decided to paint the outside of the body in a "matt" black. If I get any scuffs from here on out they'll show up as silver from underneath. I also painted the topside of the rear diamond plate in silver just to offset the black a bit. I was contemplating painting the roll cage assembly silver too but I think it'd be to much.

I just got in my Axial 20t motor, Wraith 80 tooth spur gear, 23 tooth pinion and man this thing is fast! My thoughts on this rig is to make it a rock racer.... yet it crawls really well. I can always change the gearing to my liking.
Attached Images

Last edited by Demodude; 04-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Default I love it when Brown Santa comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh-Oh, I think some fender trimming is in my future!! I love the look of the Wraith wheels on there and they were super inexpensive at $10 a corner. I have to suppress the addict in me!
I should add that these pics are with the Junfac wheel wideners installed
Attached Images

Last edited by Demodude; 05-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.

My craigslist find! New to trailing,,,, - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craigslist find yesterday. BarCrawl Axial SCX-10 8 03-07-2013 07:41 PM
Awesome craigslist find! must see! shadowrejects Chit Chat 3 08-12-2010 09:09 PM
craigslist find gyrene General Scale Talk 15 10-28-2009 06:01 AM
Craigslist find..any ideas? slimeball Non Crawler RC's 6 10-27-2009 07:46 PM
Craigslist Find Shaun Chit Chat 10 05-07-2009 02:48 PM