Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: First Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First Crawler Build

Been creeping a lot and taking in a lot of info here thought it was time to start a build thread for my Bomber.

Ended up picking one up for my son and I to play with in the yard since it was a lot slower then my Slash. Little guy can enjoy it more.

Stripped out the servo horn already and decided to up grade the stock servo while I was at it, along with the incision SS link kit.

Got everything installed tonight along with the Castle BEC, but after putting it all back together having some issues.

First off the new Hitec 7954 is super whiny, but from what I've read that's normal, it is a noisy servo? Got it centered up as well.

But now I'm having two problems.

First one is now at full turn I was getting a loud knock repetively by the inside tire. Further inspection found it to be the drive shaft knocking inside the knuckles. Something I can do to fix that? Did I miss something lol

Second one not as bad but the body does not sit level any more leans to one side when not in motion. Not crazy but thought it was odd.

Sorry if everything was noob questions but trying to figure this whole building thing out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Carnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First Crawler Build

Here's a stock of the piece I'm talking about. The pin in between the slit pops and knocks at full turn. Just packed all my stuff up but this is killing me trying to figure it put but basically the that spins inside of this seems like e it wants to pop out at full turn but then pops back into place. Only happens when fully turned.

Here's a video of servo noise. After adjusting it more it's quiet now at center http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57d389cd...5292463960.mp4

Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If the dog bones are noisy you're turning them too far. Back off the knob on the transmitter until it spins smooth. Upgrading to universals or "cvds" will get you a lot more turning angle. Hard to beat the axial universals for $30 or so online.

Torque twist is normal, shouldn't be any worse with a new servo though.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
If the dog bones are noisy you're turning them too far. Back off the knob on the transmitter until it spins smooth. Upgrading to universals or "cvds" will get you a lot more turning angle. Hard to beat the axial universals for $30 or so online.

Torque twist is normal, shouldn't be any worse with a new servo though.
Looks like I'm stopping at the local shop after work today.

And servo noise normal as well?

Old 09-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Servo noise is the digital servo trying to maintain the best/correct position according to input. If you lift the front wheels, does the noise stop?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Yeah the noise stops when lifted I got it centered up better late last night as well.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Nothing to worry about, it's just trying to find perfect center. Some are louder than others.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Nothing to worry about, it's just trying to find perfect center. Some are louder than others.
Awesome, now when it comes to the steering, I guess I can adjust my new servo end points for now till I can order new universals.

Looking at the vanquish and Incision VDI's is there really a huge difference between the two? I know they are both the same company but quality wise is there a difference?

Next few things I am thinking about upgrade wise:

1. Wraith Trailing arms - Vanquish or Blue Monkey or doesn't matter?

2. Bead locks, really want methods but damn they are pricey lol and is there a way to order single wheel for matching spare

3. Proline Flat Iron XLs

4. YETI anti rock

5. Aluminum Panels

6. DMG Tire mount - any tips on where to find one would be great

That's it for now I know there will definitely more. Do want to go brushless for more speed but also dont want to loose all the torque. Too many options
Old 09-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Vanguish VDI'S ordered. Let's hope that solves my issues

Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

So vdis are in. Won't get to test turning tonight since the babies are down for the night.

Here's a free spin video with no drive shaft attached. Does it look about right?

Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

So I got the DMG spare tire relocation bracket in today, and i guess the screw he supplies is too short for the stock wheels.

While Im waiting his response does anyone happen to know the type of screw he uses size wise? Going to head to Home Depot and see if they have anything but till then any info would be great.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Got the DMG set up he was able to send me a spare screw.

But now noticing an issue with the steering. I have the HItec 7954 servo with the incision steering links and Vanquish VDIs. But now a new issue showed up. I have full turning radius with out any issues or clipping/binding, but the at full left turn it has a tighter turn then full right side turning. not sure what the issue can be.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Haven't been updating this thread and thought it was about time I have. Upgraded a few things on here now.

1. VP front shafts to fix the issue with the stock dog bones

2. DMG tire mount to get rid of that over hang but still keep that spare

3. SSD deadlocks with RB2s wrapped around them and CC DD medium foams for now front and rear 5.5. Maybe put in 6.0 mediums after talking to Powderforbreakfast.

4. Warn winch 8274 mount on the warty plate and a hey okay controller

5. I bombed the stock motor when trying to crawl a pile of debris at work, so right now I have a Tekin 35t in there till i decide on my brushless set up. Also did a 10t pinion since the added tire size and weight

6. Currently working on aluminum body panels since its cold as hell out and need something to do lol here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Just pulled the trigger on the Dlux truss to move the servo behind the axle.

With the Werty winch plate the servo hits the plate o upward travel so trying to eliminate that.

Plus is looks awesome
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Alright so we got a few things done over the past two weeks.

First off was a new body. I wanted all aluminum but too much of a cheapskate to buy a set so I decided to make some. Following some advice from Fightfirewithfire and the tools in the shop I was able to make a set that doesn't look terrible lol.

Next up was some new trailing arms. After a ton of research I decided on wraith length. As of now I feel it's the best for me because of the added crawl ability now but enough stability at speeds for when I go brushless down the line.

I picked up a set of JEC arms and upper links for the rear. Quality is awesome.

I also got an order from dlux on a front truss. After deciphering his directions and getting everything figured out I was able to mount it all up.

Had to shave down the stock shock mounts and flip the steering since I have stock knuckles but everything seems to be working fine

Just have to set the end points but going to wait till I get my stage one kit

This is how she sits as of now. Hoping to brace the cold this weekend and get it out on some trails!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #16

Have you tested the rig with the truss? Do you like it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Bripick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bripick View Post
Have you tested the rig with the truss? Do you like it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not yet. But since I have the werty winch plate the servo was hitting the plate on upward travel and now I have full travel back lol

Old 01-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Old 01-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Looking that a brushless system might be in my future. My son wants to get a crawler as well so I'm thinking of doing the scx10ii kit and taking my tekin 35t and esc from the bomber and putting it in the 10ii.

I'm not U4 racing or bashing the bomber, I have other trucks for that its going to be mostly trail riding and crawling. Decided on a Holmes set up since they waterproof them for you.

Now my biggest issue is the KV rating. How fast is 3300 vs 2200. I want something that's not going to be insanely fast but something quicker then my 35t. My kids still like to play with the bomber so I don't need them to be braking shins haha

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Use this link:

R/C Calculations

Bomber with stock setup and 2S Lipo, 3300kv brushless in example below (2200kv drops top speed to 8.7mph, changing to 3S LiPo increases speed to 19.59 on 3300 and make the 2200 as fast as the 3300 is on 2S):
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 01-27-2017 at 09:10 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

First Crawler Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Crawler King....My 1st crawler build wyd HPI Wheely King 71 12-19-2014 09:05 AM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM