Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Updates on my SCX10.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #201
2006 2.2 National Champ

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BARTO 1979 View Post
SA-WEEEEEEEEET!!!

Damn i love them BAJA trucks,

This may sound as a noob question,

At those speeds with open spur and pinion,
isnt that a rock waiting to happen?

I'm not gonna lie, i want to copy that truck :-P
R - E - S - P - E - C - T !

Grtz
I haven't had any issues with the spur and pinion being exposed to the elements. But, I did install inner fender wells which do a great job at keeping sand and mud from getting sprayed all over the inside of the chassis.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #202
Quarry Creeper

How in the hell did i miss this thread?!......

Very nice Brad!!........ I've been impartial to the Dez/Tuff truk look, for quite awhile now......
Last year I built a CR01 based Tuf Truk. But it wasn't as sweet as this build!!.......

What gearing/motor set up are you runn'n?(stiil the 12T titan?).......Are there any sacrifices with torque?............

Last edited by axelsnapr; 03-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.
axelsnapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #203
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelsnapr View Post
How in the hell did i miss this thread?!......

Very nice Brad!!........ I've been impartial to the Dez/Tuff truk look, for quite awhile now......
Last year I built a CR01 based Tuf Truk. But it wasn't as sweet as this build!!.......

What gearing/motor set up are you runn'n?(stiil the 12T titan?).......Are there any sacrifices with torque?............
Thanks.

I'm running an 87t spur with a 23t pinion, and the stock 12t Slash motor. It crawls ok, hard binds can stall the motor out though. Plus, I don't have any drag brake since it's an old Novak Super Rooster.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #204
Quarry Creeper

Bender,

Nice build I have read through allot of your posts and have gained a ton of knowledge. I just joined the crawling scene 2 months ago and have since built a comp ready AX10 and just picked up an SCX 10 a few days ago. I am still doing research on build plans before I start it.

Quick question being new to the scaler realm. It looks like it is common place to waterproof electronics on a scaler. I have a goat system ready for my build that I do not want to destroy. Do you have any suggestions or threads you can point me to with good ideas about waterproofing the electronic systems as well as placement when building the SCX 10.

I plan on building a full cage, bumpers, and interior for this vehicle and am very concerned about the layout as I would obviously like it all to fit. Any suggestions or links you can provide would be of great help so I get this thing right the first time.
69CrazyHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #205
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CrazyHorse View Post
Bender,

Nice build I have read through allot of your posts and have gained a ton of knowledge. I just joined the crawling scene 2 months ago and have since built a comp ready AX10 and just picked up an SCX 10 a few days ago. I am still doing research on build plans before I start it.

Quick question being new to the scaler realm. It looks like it is common place to waterproof electronics on a scaler. I have a goat system ready for my build that I do not want to destroy. Do you have any suggestions or threads you can point me to with good ideas about waterproofing the electronic systems as well as placement when building the SCX 10.

I plan on building a full cage, bumpers, and interior for this vehicle and am very concerned about the layout as I would obviously like it all to fit. Any suggestions or links you can provide would be of great help so I get this thing right the first time.
Thanks for the compliment.

Most guys do water proof their scalers. A lot of guys put the receiver and esc in balloons or plastic bags, then use a little grease and some zip ties to seal everything up. As far as the electronics layout I would just try and test fit everything while you are going through the build process. If you're going to have a full cage and interior hiding the electronics under the hood, or under the bed is probably the best way to go IMO.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #206
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing one of these cases. drilling a hole large enough for my servos to enter and my battery connection to exit. and sealing the hole with a grommet and waterproof silicon. The box will fit my receiver and speed control.

http://www.watertightcase.com/1600series.html

Any thoughts positive or negative are appreciated.

I was thinking I can paint the box black and paint a cap on it than it would look like a fuel cell or a gas tank under the bed of the truck.

Can a lipo battery work underwater without additional protection?

Thanks allot for your help.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #207
RCC Addict

Quote:

Ours can. Our Li-Po's are the only water tight packs available. With a little dielectric grease on the main plug and the balance tap plugs your good to go submarine style. Don't try that with any other brand.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Than you sir is who I will buy my batteries through for my build.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #209
Pebble Pounder

Wow Very Nice Rig and Cool Video
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #210
Rock Stacker

two thumbs up to brad for this build. super sweet...
RobiUSA-James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #211
Rock Crawler

This is a sick build Brad! The video was superb as well.
I have got to get one (or two) of these SCX-10's.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #212
Quarry Creeper

This truck looks like crap Brad.. send it to me so I can get it off ur hands lol. I love all the work of urs I have seen and this is no exception Brad. Keep up the good work man... I would love to see what you could do with the same base I started with for my Wheely King trail rig.. The stock Clodbuster chassis.. I have mine with a Stampede tranny, Savage shocks with inner limiters, Wheely King axles of course, Savage bumpers, 05 Chevy body, Proline Flat Irons, Junfaq Mudrock beadlocks, Trinity Matched Madness motor from my Clodbuster, and all the stock Wheely King electronics. I know if you started with the clod chassis you would blow mine outta the water and I'd like to see what you would do to it.
mastathug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #213
Pebble Pounder

you should see mine with a novak gtb 3.5r in it. its stupid fast. i inded up using my 3:1 gear redution box to colm it down some still does wheelies with battery up front and 16 ozs in the front tires.
brushlessemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #214
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I'm envisioning a whole new segment for the SCX-10........a scale prerunner racing class.
hell yeahhhhhh i completly agree im getting one of these for my birthday in acuople months and i want to go with a ford ranger prerunner

this truck is awsome Bender props like that body to but i love the prerunner look
smokey 526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #215
Rock Stacker

i just watched the video and OHHHHH MYYYYY GGGOOOOODDDD i cant wait for mine this thing looks like it jumps awsome and it can crawl to this is what ive wanted since i got into rc cars period. i gonna do some things differently but this has really shown me wut his truck can do

AWSOME job man
smokey 526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM   #216
Pebble Pounder

badass bender. do u have any issues with it tipping over cuz of the high speeds?
JaDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #217
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing one of these cases. drilling a hole large enough for my servos to enter and my battery connection to exit. and sealing the hole with a grommet and waterproof silicon. The box will fit my receiver and speed control.

http://www.watertightcase.com/1600series.html

Any thoughts positive or negative are appreciated.

I was thinking I can paint the box black and paint a cap on it than it would look like a fuel cell or a gas tank under the bed of the truck.

Thanks allot for your help.
Sounds like that box will work perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
Wow Very Nice Rig and Cool Video
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobiUSA-James View Post
two thumbs up to brad for this build. super sweet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
This is a sick build Brad! The video was superb as well.
I have got to get one (or two) of these SCX-10's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastathug0 View Post
This truck looks like crap Brad.. send it to me so I can get it off ur hands lol. I love all the work of urs I have seen and this is no exception Brad. Keep up the good work man... I would love to see what you could do with the same base I started with for my Wheely King trail rig.. The stock Clodbuster chassis.. I have mine with a Stampede tranny, Savage shocks with inner limiters, Wheely King axles of course, Savage bumpers, 05 Chevy body, Proline Flat Irons, Junfaq Mudrock beadlocks, Trinity Matched Madness motor from my Clodbuster, and all the stock Wheely King electronics. I know if you started with the clod chassis you would blow mine outta the water and I'd like to see what you would do to it.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushlessemaxx View Post
you should see mine with a novak gtb 3.5r in it. its stupid fast. i inded up using my 3:1 gear redution box to colm it down some still does wheelies with battery up front and 16 ozs in the front tires.
Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey 526 View Post
hell yeahhhhhh i completly agree im getting one of these for my birthday in acuople months and i want to go with a ford ranger prerunner

this truck is awsome Bender props like that body to but i love the prerunner look
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey 526 View Post
i just watched the video and OHHHHH MYYYYY GGGOOOOODDDD i cant wait for mine this thing looks like it jumps awsome and it can crawl to this is what ive wanted since i got into rc cars period. i gonna do some things differently but this has really shown me wut his truck can do

AWSOME job man
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaDeR View Post
badass bender. do u have any issues with it tipping over cuz of the high speeds?
This truck can get a little tippy at top speed, because of the higher center of gravity. But, it's still a blast to bash around with.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

wow all i can say right now is wow
rccrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #219
Lifetime Gold Baby!

Default Wow!!!

wow bender....this is some very nice work!!! you used some impressive creativity and made one bad@ss all purpose truck. (love the cd holder inner fender idea...I'll be using that one for sure) this truck is just all around awesome! if I changed ANYTHING it would be to find a body that covers the tires a bit more and that's all. but even as it is it's superb and it has a simple yet eye catching, realistic looking paint job. great job bender.
kingcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

What a great build this has been.

The wheelwell idea is excellent. The ability to "see" a part hiding in something totally ordinary and mundane, and then cut it out and fabricate it is a good thing indeed.

All the planning I've done for my SCX-10 build about making it water-resistant and easy to clean up after and whatnot, and I did'nt even think about making some wheelwells. They would obviously help keep a good percentage of the debris out of the chassis while driving.

With all the other detail going on, that body is just asking for some exhaust pipes made out of stainless tubing (I make them for all my drift bodies, they are a nice scale detail that takes about 10-15 minutes to fabricate) They are in a spot where they'd be prone to recieving some abuse though. Maybe if they only stuck out like an 1/8th inch or so?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/157616-updates-my-scx10.html
Posted By For Type Date
Bender’s Custom SCX10 Prerunner Build This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:24 PM