Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Badger's SCX10 RTR Trail Ready

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default hmmmmm

I was just wondering what one of these rigs cost I have been thinking of getting me another one. (as in a scale truck) I looked on the axial site and they have 2 prices quoted for the truck. None the less I definantly want one. Also about how fast is the 27T that comes with it. I mean is it geard slow or???
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
I joined the Band!

They are about $299.99...The truck isnt going to be very fast as its a scale crawler
proraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Right I knew it wasnt going to be fast but all the vids I have found of it after posting this shows it to be fast enough to catch air. My question I guess was mostly pointed at the gearing in the truck.

Thanks for the answer though.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
Right I knew it wasnt going to be fast but all the vids I have found of it after posting this shows it to be fast enough to catch air. My question I guess was mostly pointed at the gearing in the truck.

Thanks for the answer though.
It will do wheelies

Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #25

Crunks is a liar, dads only 59 (1950-2009=59)
but he did convince the old man to get the scx-10
itll hopefully be here friday
thanks for lettin me in the forum too guys. lil brother tag along.
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

ahhaaahaaa... awesome first post there snax !
yea well at least pops is trail ready.

no more T-maxx shit weeeeeeeeee !

Last edited by crunky; 10-14-2009 at 12:49 PM.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone know if the ESC will handle 3s lipos? I have a few of them from my Mini Revo and am planning on dropping them into my scaler, and I just need to know if I need to buy a new ESC or it can wait until I want to buy a new ESC.
FireWire79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire79 View Post
Does anyone know if the ESC will handle 3s lipos? I have a few of them from my Mini Revo and am planning on dropping them into my scaler, and I just need to know if I need to buy a new ESC or it can wait until I want to buy a new ESC.
You will need a new ESC for 3s Lipo. I recommend a Tekin FXR. But if you go that route you might want to buy a higher turn motor as the FXR is not rated for a 27t with 3s. Some people run HH cobalts with theirs though with good results, I just know what the book says.

If you were going to do that I would just build the kit version right from the start to get what you want.

And if anybody here cares to be techincal, its not a true Scaler because the body is not a replica of a true full scale vehicle. I am referencing 1BJB from his scale guidelines in the other forum. It may look close to something, but its not.

I will say it does look good though. I just know in a month they will be very common and cookie cutter.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I'm not going to be running that body. And as for power, I've considered several different options and am looking for the best of both world, crawling, and enough speed to be fun, around 25-30. I have considered a Tekin FX-R 35t combo on 3s, as well as a HH 10t on 3s with CC Sidewinder or Crawlmaster ESC. I am hesitant to go with a puller motor though, due to the size of it, as I know the can is longer than a standard 540 series motor.

I will need to figure out if I can flip the tranny, or go the route of GRU and T-case, it depends on space and motor length.

As for getting the TR vs the Kit, it costs more to get the bumpers and rock rails than it does to make my own metal links. Plus, I like the bumpers that come with the TR, they should look sweet on my Silverado body.

Hmmm.....to many choices....I forgot to consider dropping the additional $100 for new ESC/motor combo. Damn, back to the spreadsheet.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

30mph in a SCX10? Im sure it can be done but its going to take more than a hot motor and lots of juice.

Its not cheap to go fast. You might have to put in the optional higher geared ring a pinion.

I will just tell you that you want the kit not the TR, if this is what you want to do.

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

what pinions did the TR come with? and if i where to get a new crawler right now this would be the one! its so tight!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

I was originally going to buy a kit but after pricing every thing out, even with a radio change (adding an Airtronics 2.4 receiver) and a 55 turn motor it will still be cheaper to get the RTR. BTW, does the stock Axial ESC have a drag brake?
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
does the stock Axial ESC have a drag brake?
I'm interested in the answer to this question. I know my RockRacer esc didn't have a drag brake. Kinda silly IMO to sell a crawler/trail truck without a drag brake. Of course Axial isn't the ONLY one doing it! First thing I had to do was replace the ESC with a MM.

Regards, Jim.

Last edited by jim_w; 10-18-2009 at 05:47 AM.
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
I was originally going to buy a kit but after pricing every thing out, even with a radio change (adding an Airtronics 2.4 receiver) and a 55 turn motor it will still be cheaper to get the RTR. BTW, does the stock Axial ESC have a drag brake?
I'm in the same boat. Been wanting a SCX10 since it came out. Now the TR is pouring gas on the fire!! I can get the TR for 240.00 with my Tower SS membership. I like the look of the TR much more than the kit SCX10.

Regards, Jim.
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #35
RCC Addict

I should be getting my TR in the next couple weeks, whenever Great Hobbies gets more in.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
30mph in a SCX10? Im sure it can be done but its going to take more than a hot motor and lots of juice.

Its not cheap to go fast. You might have to put in the optional higher geared ring a pinion.

I will just tell you that you want the kit not the TR, if this is what you want to do.

Drunk
I was able to squeeze about 15ish out of a SCX10 with a XL5 ESC and 12T Titan out of a Slash. Not to bad over all, definitely a lot faster than I was expecting, and I am willing to bet, that with a little gearing, and the right motor/ESC combo I can get around 20-25ish out of it.

Good thing I have an IR temp gun for my racing rigs. This should just be a matter of getting the right motor and ESC in conjunction with gearing. Basic stuff really.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I took Thanksgiving week off and went fishing one of the days up at Lake Camanche, brought my SCX10 TR with me. There was some nice scaler terrain to drive and fortunately I brought my camera with me.

Here are some shots from the fishing/crawling trip.

My favorite

badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Wow, pretty cool. Nice pics. That brings back some memories. We use to have a place there in the 80's. Loved it. We were on the side with the water slides. I think that was South Shore. Cant remember. Be so long.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
I joined the Band!

Plastic steering links, antena hole in the middle of the hood and cheap electronics, I'll stick with the kit version. I do like the different bodies Axial is comming out with.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #40
I joined the Band!

The stock esc that comes with the tr kind of sucks. There is no drag brake and it seems to cut out all the time