Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Badger's SCX10 RTR Trail Ready

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #41
www.team3sixrc.com

So badge, let me ask ya. Is you could run down a list of thinks that you think could change, be deleted, be added, or updated. what would your opinion be on this rig.

I mean bottom line is I am wanting to get this truck along with the truggy design they have. but as of lately those whom have owned this have complained that it seems to top heavy?

either way like most things in the hobby everything can be altered to a point to make them better, I just wanted to get your opinions on the serious mentions that do need attention.

Thanks
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
So badge, let me ask ya. Is you could run down a list of thinks that you think could change, be deleted, be added, or updated. what would your opinion be on this rig.

I mean bottom line is I am wanting to get this truck along with the truggy design they have. but as of lately those whom have owned this have complained that it seems to top heavy?

either way like most things in the hobby everything can be altered to a point to make them better, I just wanted to get your opinions on the serious mentions that do need attention.

Thanks
I would change the ESC to something a little better (sidewinder or something of the sort), aluminum steering linkages because the plastic ones can twist a bit when in a tight spot, G8 compound Flat Irons (however the M2's get good grip when they are broken in) and lastly a 2.4ghz radio system. It's top heavy but that's because of the cage system and the full size spare pretty much hanging off the back,I 'm going to be changing the body on mine in the spring.

Also another thing to change to help the rig perform better is to take the rubber limiters off the shock shafts and the fender flairs off since the tires get stuffed right into them and the suspension can't flex all the way.

However the rig as a whole is a pretty damn good one out of the box, just needs some minor tweaking and the usual upgrading to make it better.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #43
www.team3sixrc.com

Well I know that stuff would have to be changed. This would be the obvious changes that I would make anyways. Its too bad that the wheel skirts would have to be removed and I hate that everytime there is a good truck out there with that option that is one thing that is a hang up.

The truck looks good, sdaly it seems that in the end I would just be better off getting the SCX10 chassis and just build a whole truck off of that frame rather than get this pertiqular kit.

I suppose its good for what it is, but in the end anyone buying one is just back to square one again. atleast the truggy has more capabilities. But even that I see people building a metal frame and parts with it. I know wlaot of people love the Toyota body, I know I would eventually just take that off and switch it with something more to my liking.

Hobby grade to the market

To the builder wanting it to more personalized I think we all agree it would be start from scratch rather than build the kit or ARTR
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Exactly, I knew what I was getting when I got it, but I never had a crawler before and this is a good platform to start off with, and since there's plenty of upgrades available it's easy to get the truck you really want.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #45
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Plastic steering links, antena hole in the middle of the hood and cheap electronics, I'll stick with the kit version. I do like the different bodies Axial is comming out with.
I've had no issues with the plastic steering links, but it would not cost much at all to upgrade them to aluminum links. I also did not like the pre-drilled antenna hole since I run spectrum in everything but it doesn't bother me that much and if it did I would just add either a scale accessory to cover it or a sticker. Name one RTR kit that has top quality electronics in it? RTR electronics are a cost effective way to get people on the rocks at a entry level price. If you gear down and add a external BEC, the stock TR electronics work fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
The stock esc that comes with the tr kind of sucks. There is no drag brake and it seems to cut out all the time
Why do you still post in my threads? Next time you post in ANY thread of mine you will be banned from that forum.

Thanks for being the dipshit that you are.

Quote:
The only two things I did to my rig is changed the pinion out because stock it has way to much wheel speed and then I added a external BEC.

Other things I plan to do is add a little weight to the wheels, this is not to make it comp worthy it's just to keep the tires planted a little more and cycle the suspension more. Move the battery to the front like on my other SCX10 and last would be to add a winch.

Quote:

A scaler to top heavy! Oh no! It's a fawking scaler, it's supposed to be top heavy and more challenging to drive. My SCX10 with the Novak Goat is almost to capable, still surprises me on some of the lines it makes.

If you have more of a budget then I would suggest installing a Novak Goat Crawler system in it, I have one in my other SCX10 and absolutely love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
I would change the ESC to something a little better (sidewinder or something of the sort), aluminum steering linkages because the plastic ones can twist a bit when in a tight spot, G8 compound Flat Irons (however the M2's get good grip when they are broken in) and lastly a 2.4ghz radio system. It's top heavy but that's because of the cage system and the full size spare pretty much hanging off the back,I 'm going to be changing the body on mine in the spring.

Also another thing to change to help the rig perform better is to take the rubber limiters off the shock shafts and the fender flairs off since the tires get stuffed right into them and the suspension can't flex all the way.

However the rig as a whole is a pretty damn good one out of the box, just needs some minor tweaking and the usual upgrading to make it better.
Good job man, you have just about turned the SCX10 into a competition crawler.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Plastic steering links, antena hole in the middle of the hood and cheap electronics, I'll stick with the kit version. I do like the different bodies Axial is comming out with.
I agree on the radio but it gets people crawling. When I added everything up I wanted to do to my SCX-10, irt made more sense for me to get the TR (I changed out the radio to my MX-Sport 2.4 GHz that is slated for 3rd channel winch button modifications soon). The ESC and steering servo are vary capable once you add an external BEC. The ESC is rated for 10 cells so you can run a 3S Lipo with a MaxPro Lipo board or a Smart Stop Lipo cutoff. The Servo has metal gears and appears to have about 90 oz of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proraptor View Post
The stock esc that comes with the tr kind of sucks. There is no drag brake and it seems to cut out all the time
Spend $25.00 and get a Castle BEC. Makes all the difference in the world. The reason it cuts out is the steeing servo overloads the ESC's internal 1.2amp BEC. Mine was stalling on my first run and I could tell what was happening because whenever it stalled the LEDs dimmed too telling me the internal BEC was oveloaded. I installed a Castle BEC and a 45T Integy motor with a 14 tooth pinion and it is now a fairly capable crawler (also moved the battery tray to the front for more bite). While the ESC does not have a true drag brake, if you hit the brake on an incline and let off, it will hold until you apply forward or reverse throttle.

Next mods for my TR are the TR 4 link rear suspension, a Hand Brothers CMS kit, a winch, and a 3S Lipo (using a MaxPro 3S Lipo Low Voltage monitor). Right now, I am using it as my scale comp truck and some of the scale goodies, it cost me points (like hanging the roll cage on one particular rock three different times ). This will become my Trail run truck and the Trail Honcho will become my comp truck with some modifications.

BTW Badger didn't mean to hijack the thread but I have to ask one question. Did you waterproof your electrronics?

Last edited by GP40X; 12-08-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I can spell, just can't type
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #47
"HOLLYWOOD"

Man I gotta get one of these... Looks good.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Why do you still post in my threads? Next time you post in ANY thread of mine you will be banned from that forum.

Thanks for being the dipshit that you are.

HAHA I dont know why but I thought this was really funny. I actually lol'd, thanks badger
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

nice
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
BTW Badger didn't mean to hijack the thread but I have to ask one question. Did you waterproof your electrronics?
Not a hijack at all, your post was very informative. I did not waterproof my electronics, just hoped they didn't get to wet, they did have some water splashed on them from the wheel speed but it must not have been to bad because they are still working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
HAHA I dont know why but I thought this was really funny. I actually lol'd, thanks badger
You can continue to laugh at his stupidity here.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Hey John, that stock ESC is kinda weak sause. No drag brakes either. Just thought you'd like to know.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Hey John, that stock ESC is kinda weak sause. No drag brakes either. Just thought you'd like to know.
When your at the level of driving skill I am at, you don't notice the so called "flaws" in the ESC that you amateurs bitch about. In fact, I'll go so far in saying that the stock ESC is by far the best ESC I have ever used. The stock ESC is so perfect that I run it in almost everything I own like my 4.5 pro mod on road cars, my Losi Comp Crawler, my Losi mini and micro crawlers, my toothbrush, my Slashes, SC10 and Blitz's, my ARX-540 MX bike, my pro mod electric shaver, my E-flight heli, my Nylint, my Baja 5B, my coffee maker, my Baja 5T, 6T, & 7T, and finally my PS3.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not a hijack at all, your post was very informative. I did not waterproof my electronics, just hoped they didn't get to wet, they did have some water splashed on them from the wheel speed but it must not have been to bad because they are still working fine.

You can continue to laugh at his stupidity here.
Lol beautiful!
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When your at the level of driving skill I am at, you don't notice the so called "flaws" in the ESC that you amateurs bitch about. In fact, I'll go so far in saying that the stock ESC is by far the best ESC I have ever used. The stock ESC is so perfect that I run it in almost everything I own like my 4.5 pro mod on road cars, my Losi Comp Crawler, my Losi mini and micro crawlers, my toothbrush, my Slashes, SC10 and Blitz's, my ARX-540 MX bike, my pro mod electric shaver, my E-flight heli, my Nylint, my Baja 5B, my coffee maker, my Baja 5T, 6T, & 7T, and finally my PS3.
Hahaha!!! No wonder your breath is so fresh & your face so smooth.

Bring that dirtbike with you in January.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Hahaha!!! No wonder your breath is so fresh & your face so smooth.

Bring that dirtbike with you in January.

Not sure if I want to bring the dirt bike out in March (not Jan this time), it's not nearly as easy to replace as a Blitz or Slash, although I don't think I would be leaving it in the rental car at all. It would be bad ass to run on that huge track you guys have though.