Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 1.9 K5 Blazer build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #21

Default hand bros

hows that steering workin for you?
pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Very small expanded metal. The place I bought it from normally sells it in 4x8' sheets, but they had some smaller cut pieces from another order so was able to pick up some for about 5 bucks

Very easy to cut, not so easy to braze up. It's pretty thin so it heats up much faster than the material I was brazing it to. Takes a bit of work to get it done right.
cool, thanks for the info
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

looks great ive always liked chevys! nice trailer too! could a guy talk ya into making one that holds a comp rig?? im diggin the leafs on the trailer. GREAT build!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryno View Post
my mistake with the bumpers. whats the web site where the scalevolution products can be seen?(i tired scalevolution.com and googling it. nothin.)

-thanks

you have a PM
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

x2 on the great looking combo i'm jealous
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #26

One of the best Blazers I have seen. VERY COOL !!!
Brutus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineryno View Post
my mistake with the bumpers. whats the web site where the scalevolution products can be seen?(i tired scalevolution.com and googling it. nothin.)

-thanks
JasonC is the username. His vendor's thread is here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189430 I'm pretty sure he's sold out though, as I think I might have gotten the last set of bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickup View Post
hows that steering workin for you?
Works great. No bump steer issues from the one run I've had it on, and it cleans up the axle nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
looks great ive always liked chevys! nice trailer too! could a guy talk ya into making one that holds a comp rig?? im diggin the leafs on the trailer. GREAT build!
I'm not much into making trailers. If you're looking for a good trailer, definitely check out Whitebone trailers. Rocky builds a beautiful lightweight trailer that can haul just about anything you want around

Been working on the interior. So lots of styrene dust and glue fumes ! This is actually the second interior I did, the first one didn't work out so well... Still lots of filling and sanding to do. As you can see, the rear shocks poke through the floor of the interior, so need to get creative and make some boxes to cover it up.

Dashboard made up. I scratched my head on this for a while, but figured out the best way was to make the dashboard separate from the rest of the interior.

As you can see in the next pic, the dashboard attached to the underside of the hood with a few pieces of velcro. Nice thing is I can adjust its position slightly without moving the whole rest of the interior.

Got a driver too. Got this as a pair, my son got the other guy. My wife was right, this is just Barbie for men !

Obviously, the seats aren't secured yet. Interesting thing about the new Recaro seats, is that they're different in shape from the older ones. About the same size, but if you've got an older style one and want another for a pair, keep in mind they won't match completely.

More work to come, lots of sanding and filling. Need to pick up an Axial interior and exterior kit. Then need to make up gauges, work on the seats, etc. etc.

I'm looking for suggestions on the interior colour. Might possibly do the dash and console in diamond plate. I've seen this on some aftermarket Blazer dashes.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Great work Chris, it's taking shape nicely, looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.
Isn't Styrene dust/shaving the best?
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Great work Chris, it's taking shape nicely, looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.
Isn't Styrene dust/shaving the best?
Yeah, it's loads of fun. I thought metal shavings/dust were bad!

As you can see, I do have a lighting system, which is currently just hanging out of the side of the truck. I have some other parts on their way too. By the time everything is added, this truck is going to weigh 20 pounds !
Old 10-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

That is an awsome rig! Great job on the build! It's definetely now one of my favorite scalers on this site.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Not a lot of progress on this. Between being super busy at work and being sick, the rc side of things have been sitting for a while.

Interior is finished and has the filler on it. Just need to sand and paint it now. Decided on sticking with the green theme and going with green and black with some silver highlights. Waiting to paint it until I put in the gauges Krawler Konceptz are doing up for me.

Added in mirrors, windshield wiper, and got a clod bowtie repro grill off of ebay and fit it in the front. I'm impressed with this grill. For being a resin repro, it's got a lot of detail.

I've got a couple of questions that I think others can help with . First, can someone tell me on this year Blazer where the signal lights were located, especially in the rear relative to the brake lights? I want to make sure I put the leds in the right spots.

Second, with the grill being resin, when it comes to painting is there anything different I need to do compared to painting styrene, or do I use the same primer, paints, etc.?

More to come.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Damn Chris, your Blazer and trailer really turned out nice Dibs on the trailer if you ever sell it

Painting resin parts is really no different than painting styrene. Wash it to make sure any mold release agent is gone, then sand, prime and paint like you would styrene.... at least that's what I did with resin parts for model airplanes when I was building them
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Here is some pics of the grill in my K5 . I used the repro grill plus a 4x4x4 grill . I found that 1 grill liked abit being wide enough . So I cut thru the headlight buckets on the repro grill . Then I cut thru the grill on the 4x4x4 . This added maybe 1/16" to each side of the grill when I glues it back together .

Much better than the old sticker !!
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Damn Chris, your Blazer and trailer really turned out nice Dibs on the trailer if you ever sell it

Painting resin parts is really no different than painting styrene. Wash it to make sure any mold release agent is gone, then sand, prime and paint like you would styrene.... at least that's what I did with resin parts for model airplanes when I was building them
Thanks Matt. Having your Bronco in house inspired me! You'll have to get in line for the trailer, seems everyone likes my after thought !

Thanks for the tip on painting. I have a second grill here, just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
Here is some pics of the grill in my K5 . I used the repro grill plus a 4x4x4 grill . I found that 1 grill liked abit being wide enough . So I cut thru the headlight buckets on the repro grill . Then I cut thru the grill on the 4x4x4 . This added maybe 1/16" to each side of the grill when I glues it back together .

Much better than the old sticker !!
Thanks for that. Your K5 was an inspiration for mine (although mine is full canopy) so I remember you cutting up grills for yours. On mine though, I found the repro grill was basically the exact same width as the stock sticker, so I'm happy with it for now. Way better than the sticker as you said

I did steal your idea for the back of the seats. Not pictured, but I took a dremel to them and got rid of all of the excess crap, cut and painted some thin styrene flat black and glued it to the back. Gives it a nice clean finished appearance.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #35

Thumbs up

Very nice build, it is motivating me to continue on mine. My Blazer will be blue with a white top. Unfortunately I already purchased the Pro-Line bumpers, they'll have to do, although yours look much nicer and sturdier.

I like the roof rack and especially the trailer. Again, very nice and clean work. respect.

SDI makes rubber fender flares for Chevy bodies and Ford, the Chevy ones being a little more square. I'm just not sure how to mount them to a Lexan body. I have their Ford flares on my F-350 but that is a plastic body, the mounting was easy.

Best regards,
Thomas
Expat Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #36

Looks great!!! what rear body mounts did you use? They look the same as another build on here, just wondering for my Blazer I'm working on.

Thanks!!
ben97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #37

Having patience and the skills really pays off. That's a very sweet rig.
HWYSHREDDER78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Crawler View Post
Very nice build, it is motivating me to continue on mine. My Blazer will be blue with a white top. Unfortunately I already purchased the Pro-Line bumpers, they'll have to do, although yours look much nicer and sturdier.

I like the roof rack and especially the trailer. Again, very nice and clean work. respect.

SDI makes rubber fender flares for Chevy bodies and Ford, the Chevy ones being a little more square. I'm just not sure how to mount them to a Lexan body. I have their Ford flares on my F-350 but that is a plastic body, the mounting was easy.

Best regards,
Thomas
Thanks. As for the fender flares, probably something like shoe goo or silicone would work. Not sure how thick they are, but perhaps drilling and attaching with small screws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben97 View Post
Looks great!!! what rear body mounts did you use? They look the same as another build on here, just wondering for my Blazer I'm working on.

Thanks!!
Well, with the interior, the body mount in the rear is probably going to be velcro attached to the tailgate section. I'll be securing it to the sides with the sliders (still to be built). Got this idea from building sliders for montana.matt for his bronco. Pretty slick set-up.

Having said that, the mounts I used before were stock SCX mounts. Just added in styrene on the body posts and held the body in place with velcro so no body post holes had to be drilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSHREDDER78 View Post
Having patience and the skills really pays off. That's a very sweet rig.
Thanks!

One pic with the new tires and rims on:

I've been working on frames for others, so haven't done anything else with this rig for the moment.

Last edited by ecoli; 08-31-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Default Reference site

"I've got a couple of questions that I think others can help with . First, can someone tell me on this year Blazer where the signal lights were located, especially in the rear relative to the brake lights? I want to make sure I put the leds in the right spots."

The stock turn signals are in a few different places depending on options of the truck. If the front bumper has the option of lights they are there, is not then they are often in the grill almost hidden behind it in the bottom outside corners.

If you want a great site for reference of the Blazers you can look up the replacement parts at www.LMCtruck.com (unless you are lucky enough to own the real deal like myself ).

I will be posting my own build as soon as I get some pics of the front end (which still has to be assembled). Mine is going to be an 85 which means the Pro-line body has the wrong fender running lights, wrong front end, and of course there is the issue of no rear bumper. Hopefully I will have a thread up within a week, in the meantime I hope lmctruck helps you with reference! Enjoy!
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Blazer looks badazz with the new wheels and tires on it, Chris
I think you're gonna love those Rok Lox tires. Got 'em on my Bronco and they are the best tires I've used to date Ran it last weekend and even with the tires plugged with mud and snow, they still did great....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote