Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: shock mounting question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default shock mounting question

Ive been looking at pics around the forum and noticed that some people mount their shocks with the body down and the shaft up..is there a reason for this? or is just a matter of preference?
FordFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: shock mounting question

Is this what you mean?

The shock body contains the shock fluid and spring therefore it is the heavier end. When you run them the way i have them in the picture you are keeping the weight closer to the axle or center of gravity.

It might not seem like a lot but when you multiply the weight by 4 (or 8 depending on the amount of shocks you are running) the weight adds up.

Another added benefit is "no leaking" but its dependent on the type of shock body. The GMADE and LOSI shocks have closed tops and not a threaded cap end.

When the shock body is on the top and the shaft by the axle, the shock fluid tends to slowly leak past the O-rings even when the rig is not used.

When you mount them upside down, the shock body acts like a cup and holds the fluid with no leaking.

Hope this helps.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

it does help cause i didnt think of it in that way...now, can all shocks be flipped or would a should with a shock cap on top leak?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
RCC Addict

They all could be flipped though there are a few that may leak and another thing to consider is some shocks may not be as smooth when flipped.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #5

If u run them flipped there is more unsprung weight.

Last edited by 552jrider; 01-15-2012 at 10:59 PM.
552jrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Also sometimes when you are changing brands of shock there diameter may be larger and they might bind on the chassis when in their normal orientation, flipping them removes this issue, another example of the above is when you use 1.9-2.2 height adapters.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 552jrider View Post
If u run them flipped there is more unsprung weight.
This is totally true; it does create more unsprung weight. However, the weight factor becomes evident at high speeds.

Motorcycles for the most part have the shock bodies located at the axle and shafts up top at the triple clamps(look at cruisers, standard bikes, & low end sport bikes; ie Yamaha FZ6R). If you look at performance motorcycles such as a Yamaha YZFR1 you'll note that the shocks are flipped; shock body uptop and the shaft located at the axle.

This is reduces unsprung weight and allows the suspension to react faster at high speeds.

In our case, the weight is better at the bottom by the axle. The crawlers are slow going and having more weight at the axle means less chances of flipping over. This is also why some crawlers have their batteries mounted on the axles as well.

On my nitro trucks i have the shock bodies up top and shafts at the axles due to the higher speeds and faster shock activity.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobonyc View Post
Is this what you mean?

The shock body contains the shock fluid and spring therefore it is the heavier end. When you run them the way i have them in the picture you are keeping the weight closer to the axle or center of gravity.

It might not seem like a lot but when you multiply the weight by 4 (or 8 depending on the amount of shocks you are running) the weight adds up.

Another added benefit is "no leaking" but its dependent on the type of shock body. The GMADE and LOSI shocks have closed tops and not a threaded cap end.

When the shock body is on the top and the shaft by the axle, the shock fluid tends to slowly leak past the O-rings even when the rig is not used.

When you mount them upside down, the shock body acts like a cup and holds the fluid with no leaking.

Hope this helps.
Your springs are not inside the shaft are they?
Kurtsara1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara1800 View Post
Your springs are not inside the shaft are they?
The GMADE shocks in the photo have the springs located inside the shock body.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

cool thanks guys...im used to running them body up on my SC trucks...this is still new to me.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Note that your lower seals, when mounted correctly (body up), will be covered in fluid and likely have less stiction against the shock shaft than they would if mounted body down and being dry. While the tiny difference in unsprung weight will mean nothing at crawling speed, any minute increase in stiction will be noticed. It's something to keep an eye out for.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

u think tjey would dry out if installed body down?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

well i just flipped mine on my dingo and it didnt feel as smooth as they were in the stock posotion...i guess ill wait to buy some new shocks like the g shocks

shock mounting question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock Mounting Question md7989 Redcat Crawlers 4 05-05-2010 11:27 AM
AX Link and shock mounting, Vs Berg mounting locations. BEELZEBOB Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-09-2009 04:04 PM
Shock mounting on lower links. Quick question. Neeley General Crawlers 5 02-14-2009 09:08 AM
Lower link and shock mounting bracket question 4x4dodge HPI Wheely King 9 04-30-2007 10:28 PM
shock mounting jamesdezy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 04-09-2006 01:00 PM