Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 1 problem after another

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 1 problem after another

Ok so i dont know what is going on but i'm getting pi$$ed!!! SCX10
So first thing is the torque twist is getting annoying. I have preloaded and flipped everything. I think i will try to rebuild the axles.
Next is i stripped the wheels and had to get new ones. No problem i like the new RC4WD pro 10's except that the cross pins leave too much play in the wheels.
Now i just stripped the output shaft that connects to the drive shaft from the transmission side the set screw actually grooved into the shaft.
Dont know how i will fix it except by making another flat.
Also the screw holes in the axle that hold in the chubs dont have much of a thread so the screws dont tighten much.
Its just getting frustrating is there any ideas on what to do? Especially with the drive shaft and torque twist.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1 problem after another

What electronics are you running?

And whats your suspension setup?
NMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What are you doing to your rig?

Are you using a drill to tighten screws? Screwing into plastic takes finesse.

I installed the under-drive gears when I built my kit. My wheel/tire combo weights about 8.0 oz. I can say I don't notice any torque twist in my Honcho. Noting is mirrored, or flipped. I have lengthened my wheel base, but not to remedy torque twist.

Do you have weight in your wheels? What about a pic of your current set up?
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Twist?? You running stock-plastic links??? If so, part of your problem. Rung-off output shaft, grubs not tight. Was it an RTR???
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Did you buy it used or build it yourself?
ndi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Electronics are sidewinder sv2 stock axial motor hs562mg? I forgot the servo. The lower links are steel custom made links uppers are aluminum and th ree link the entire way around and is cms system. I did buy it used though as a roller which explains the stripped threads.
Wheel weights are 5.5 in the front none in the rear.
the wheel base is at 12.1"
The chubs are the aluminum caster ones to adjust for the links.
And shocks are 4" losi crawlers with whites on them.
everything else is stock as well.
The electronics are located in the rear battery up front.
Ill post pics in the a.m.
foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foratm View Post
Ok so i dont know what is going on but i'm getting pi$$ed!!! SCX10
So first thing is the torque twist is getting annoying. I have preloaded and flipped everything. I think i will try to rebuild the axles.
Next is i stripped the wheels and had to get new ones. No problem i like the new RC4WD pro 10's except that the cross pins leave too much play in the wheels.
Now i just stripped the output shaft that connects to the drive shaft from the transmission side the set screw actually grooved into the shaft.
Dont know how i will fix it except by making another flat.
Also the screw holes in the axle that hold in the chubs dont have much of a thread so the screws dont tighten much.
Its just getting frustrating is there any ideas on what to do? Especially with the drive shaft and torque twist.
For the torque twist, search is all I can say in a short sentence. It has been fought with since the dawn of shafties. Mirroring trans, thicker shock oil/stiffer spring in the leaning corner helps. Everything is a balance tho.

For the trans output, get the Axial steel outputs and use 2 m3 screws per yoke. Tightening the flat side one first.

For the chub screw hole in the axle, get beef tubes.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

sounds like mine, kept upgradin everything till the weakest link became tough. It's now fun to drive after upgrading nearly everything on my ready to run. Only thing stock now is the frame. lmao
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

thats odd, mines been great.
kingkong101184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong101184 View Post
thats odd, mines been great.
It's not that odd, they are all common issues. On the front C-hubs, take out the course thread screws and replace with 3mm hardware (The longest screws you can put in that don't hit the drivecup). If yours are too far stripped, you may need to replace them, but don't reuse the coarse thread screws!

As far as the driveshaft stuff, this was a known issue, and has been upgraded on the new SCX10 trucks. I have a link with all of the part numbers to fix this in my build thread (See sig. link). And as far as torque twist goes, I have just come to live with it, and compared to many other rigs, it really isn't that bad on the SCX10. Do the trans. mirroring at least if it bugs you. Stiffer springs in the dipping corners will help hide the issue, but will compromise on the rigs performance.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
It's not that odd, they are all common issues. On the front C-hubs, take out the course thread screws and replace with 3mm hardware (The longest screws you can put in that don't hit the drivecup). If yours are too far stripped, you may need to replace them, but don't reuse the coarse thread screws!

As far as the driveshaft stuff, this was a known issue, and has been upgraded on the new SCX10 trucks. I have a link with all of the part numbers to fix this in my build thread (See sig. link). And as far as torque twist goes, I have just come to live with it, and compared to many other rigs, it really isn't that bad on the SCX10. Do the trans. mirroring at least if it bugs you. Stiffer springs in the dipping corners will help hide the issue, but will compromise on the rigs performance.
A new screw won't stop an alum chub from snapping the end of the axle housing off
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
A new screw won't stop an alum chub from snapping the end of the axle housing off
I didn't see him mentioning anything about aluminum C-Hubs. Plus, I originally thought he meant the steering pivot screws, i didn't see that he meant the screws into the axle housing, but the same advice would go there.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote

1 problem after another - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Tekin RS system in my LCC, will a BEC fix my problem? rcboy514 Electronics 3 01-12-2012 05:55 PM
Tekin Problem or Radio Problem? Harvo Electronics 8 07-30-2010 06:02 AM
Little bit of a problem, Possibly big problem... C_Money Electronics 11 03-08-2010 05:49 PM
Charger problem or power problem? Rockfrog Electronics 4 10-09-2009 01:10 PM
* Problem * Clicking Problem on my 1/18th clodman General Crawlers 6 04-08-2006 08:40 AM