Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Anybody know how to Center the driveshafts/tranny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Default Anybody know how to Center the driveshafts/tranny?

I hate the angle of the driveshafts coming off of the trans on my Honcho.

Does anyone know how to center the transmission? or is there a trans out there with center outputs? The only one I know of is a wheely king trans, but that puts the motor way too high up.

I just want the angle of my driveshafts to go straight to the pumpkins...

Any ideas?? I need help!!

Thanks guys!
tamiyatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Anybody know how to Center the driveshafts/tranny?

put wraith axles in it, and it will fix your problem also give it a wider stance, with more stability, they have off-set chunks they stock axial trans works well, im not certain if it will line up exactly, but i do know that if it doesnt you can clock the trans 180* to help with torque twist, it should line up better than with the stock honcho axles, you can also switch out the honcho trans for the wraith trans, the wraith trans has upgrades available for dig also, if that floats your boat, hope this helps some

Last edited by The-Blacksheep; 02-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
The-Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

I thought about switching out the axles, but I kinda like the stock stance and width with the stock axles... I was wondering about the wraith trans.... It has the same mounting holes, but I can't tell if the tranny output shafts would be centered on the SCX10 skidplate... that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

I may just drill 4 new holes and slide the whole tranny over to straighten out the driveline. Waiting to see what Axial support has to say...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

there's literally no need to straighten out the drive shafts. driveshafts are made to transfer rotation to the axles at less-than-straight angles. lots of 1:1's driveshafts aren't not in the center of the chassis. there's no difference in side to side angle differences from up and down angle differences. driveshafts are meant to take it. if not, there wouldn't be universal joints in them.. they would just be straight solid cylinders that bolt onto each end.

if you're worried about the u-joints wearing out fast then buy some wraith driveshafts. they can take more extreme angles. (btw you dont need to worry about them wearing out fast, but if you do worry about it, then get some wraith shafts)

if you're just worried about the "looks" of a crooked driveshaft.. then i cant help ya. but making a new skid plate out of delrin and drilling the tranny mounting holes in the center of the new skid plate would center your output shafts and driveshafts. although this will put your motor hanging outside of the chassis rails, which will off-balance your rig. but hey, if centering your driveshafts is worth it to you, then go for it.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

heinie_21 pretty much covered what i was going to say. What is behind the desire to center them? Is it just an OCD thing? It is made like this so the motor does not have to be strait up (WK style), or too far off either side. Changing this is going to do 2 things, centering your driveshafts for no reason to make you feel better, and mess up how your vehicle is weighted, making odd torque twist on other fun issues.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

one thing you can do is flip the tranny mount around, this will not center the shaft, but it did make the angle less extreme and has the added advantage to allowing you to mount the wraith interior in a honcho.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Toss in a summit tranny
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
one thing you can do is flip the tranny mount around, this will not center the shaft, but it did make the angle less extreme and has the added advantage to allowing you to mount the wraith interior in a honcho.
This would not change the angle, it would just move the same angle to the other side.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Could take some aluminum sheet and cut it to fit the top of the skid plate for support (don't remember how the "webbing" is laid out on the plastic off the top of my head), and then drill new holes through both. Offsetting the tranny so shafts straighten out and the motor hangs off the side could allow you to mount your battery pack in the middle opposite side of the tranny from the motor. This will probably make the angles worse for the yokes, though, as the tranny outputs being off to the side help alleviate them.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Could take some aluminum sheet and cut it to fit the top of the skid plate for support (don't remember how the "webbing" is laid out on the plastic off the top of my head), and then drill new holes through both. Offsetting the tranny so shafts straighten out and the motor hangs off the side could allow you to mount your battery pack in the middle opposite side of the tranny from the motor. This will probably make the angles worse for the yokes, though, as the tranny outputs being off to the side help alleviate them.
I recommend not condoning possible methods to help facilitate this ridiculous modification. At least until we hear a reasonable explanation as to why this is desired.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyatim View Post
I hate the angle of the driveshafts coming off of the trans on my Honcho.

I just want the angle of my driveshafts to go straight to the pumpkins...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
I recommend not condoning possible methods to help facilitate this ridiculous modification. At least until we hear a reasonable explanation as to why this is desired.
Looks like he gave 2 reasons.. He hates it, and he just wants them to go straight to the pumpkins.. I dont see anywhere him asking if any of us thought it was ridiculous to want those things..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Seriously? Let someone experiment with their own kit. Why does it really matter to you what their motives are? They're asking for advice, and I gave it to them so...

As a matter of fact, I can imagine a pretty sweet FOFF truck by modifying the frame rails and doing just what the OP is thinking. Would allow for straighter shafts, meaning less stress on the yokes and shaft's ears.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Get a creeper tranny. And the more angle you have on the drive shafts the more torque twist you can get from it. That's why the GC-3 and a few other comp chassis have the motor hanging out the side of the chassis.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #14

Thanks for all the input guys... Yeah, maybe it's just an OCD thing, but I'd like the shafts on one plane instead of two... they're already angled down towards the pumpkins vertically... the other plane being horizontally towards the centered pumpkins... I really wish Axial would make an axle with an offset pumpkin for the front of a SCX10, for scale purposes... but then the shaft would probably hit the links...

I just wanted to try to mod it because I am always tinkering with this thing, like the rest of you, trying to build it like I like it... I know the shafts are strong enough, and that it was designed this way on purpose.. just sayin I don't like it that way, that's all... Technically, everyone here could have bought the thing and left it completely stock, it performs perfectly... it was designed to...

Last edited by tamiyatim; 02-03-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #15

I see RC4WD makes a delrin skid plate for installing an R2 tranny... may get one of those and drill some new holes in it... Or, I may just keep the $30 bucks and get me an aluminum bumper mount... not sure yet...
Till then, I'll sit back and enjoy seeing my "Digger King" featured in Readers Rides in RC Driver... WOO HOO!!! I feel famous!!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I see RC4WD makes a delrin skid plate for installing an R2 tranny... may get one of those and drill some new holes in it... Or, I may just keep the $30 bucks and get me an aluminum bumper mount... not sure yet...
Till then, I'll sit back and enjoy seeing my "Digger King" featured in Readers Rides in RC Driver... WOO HOO!!! I feel famous!!
Find a local plastic supplier and get a delrin sheet, a half sheet is about the same price. Or save some bucks and find a black cutting board to chop up, old school but it works.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
Looks like he gave 2 reasons.. He hates it, and he just wants them to go straight to the pumpkins.. I dont see anywhere him asking if any of us thought it was ridiculous to want those things..
I meant reasons that actually relate to how this helps the truck. I am OCD as well, so my brain is making me think it is simply about the symmetry that he is asking.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #18

Venom Creeper trans?
kingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys... Yeah, maybe it's just an OCD thing, but I'd like the shafts on one plane instead of two... they're already angled down towards the pumpkins vertically... the other plane being horizontally towards the centered pumpkins... I really wish Axial would make an axle with an offset pumpkin for the front of a SCX10, for scale purposes... but then the shaft would probably hit the links...

I just wanted to try to mod it because I am always tinkering with this thing, like the rest of you, trying to build it like I like it... I know the shafts are strong enough, and that it was designed this way on purpose.. just sayin I don't like it that way, that's all... Technically, everyone here could have bought the thing and left it completely stock, it performs perfectly... it was designed to...
You see it as two planes the driveshaft sees it for what it is, one. Turn your truck on its side until they line up, that's what the shaft sees at all times. Lining them up is only gonna make the angle steeper.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Toss in a summit tranny
Yep i was going to say this i have the summit trans and dinky cradle nice straight drive-line and 2 speed ....who doesn't want 2 speed
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Anybody know how to Center the driveshafts/tranny? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas 1/16 center driveshafts 02hawk Axial SCX-10 8 01-22-2012 04:11 PM
center driveshafts boostedg60rado Axial AX-10 Scorpion 30 03-21-2010 05:55 PM
? about center driveshafts rider12693 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 01-05-2010 03:25 PM
3 Racing or MIP Center Driveshafts Paul97 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 11-27-2009 11:57 PM
clock tranny, center driveshafts, reduce torque twist mulepic Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 09-10-2008 04:59 PM