Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first crawler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Default My first crawler build

Here is what I have been working on for 2 months now. I have had alot of fun getting to this point. Started off with an Axial SCX10 basic kit, but I guess that was a mistake after all. I think I used the frame rails and rear end housings. Pretty much it is either upgraded, after market, or fabricated to get were I am. I did install a DIG unit on the front axle to make it capable of 2WD or 4WD just as full scale. I want to get some good pictures of it in its envirenment and of course some videos crawling. I guess all in due time. Still a few items to add.
Attached Images

edge_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Wow! That is bad azz what body is that? Is that a Wraith interior?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Default Re: My first crawler build

it is the HPI body modified and yes that is a wraith front interior and custom built back interior and roll cage. I got the idea for the wraith interior from Mechanic
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

heres an update with outdoor pictures
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That looks way good Good work on the interior
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

Got to take it out today and initiate it. Several scratches later I was having a blast. It really performs as I hoped, way to much fun.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

WOW
Looking real good
ZJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Looks pretty good, although your steering doesn't look happy. I really your interior. Did you pull it out of something and modify it or did you build it all yourself?
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiskate View Post
Looks pretty good, although your steering doesn't look happy. I really your interior. Did you pull it out of something and modify it or did you build it all yourself?
Why do you say the steering looks "unhappy"? Maybe i'm missing something.

The interior started off a Wraith interior. I fit it for the jeep and then built the back protion from styrene. The roll cage is brake line welded together.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Damn that's nice. It makes me want to dust off my old rubi lid.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot View Post
Why do you say the steering looks "unhappy"? Maybe i'm missing something.

The interior started off a Wraith interior. I fit it for the jeep and then built the back protion from styrene. The roll cage is brake line welded together.
The angle on the drag link is kind of crazy looking, but that could be the pics. Then the 4 link and CMS will cause bump steer due to the axle and steering wanting to move in different arcs. That's part of the reason people run a 3 link and pan hard with a CMS. The pan hard keeps everything in the same arc and bump steer free if its setup right. Its also the reason you wont see a triangulated 4 link and a steering box on a 1:1, instead you'll see fully hydraulic steering (kind of like having the servo mounted on the axle on an RC crawler).

Thats a really cool idea with the Wraith interior. How wide is it? The more I see your interior the more and more I dig it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

OK, understand why you said what you did.

Here is my theory, right or wrong. The aluminum bar I bought for the front mounts the servo point where I have it located. I can move it out to the normal location with no big deal, and may do jusy that after playing with it some. This will cut the angle down in half of what it is.

I played with 3 link, 4 link and a panard bar. No matter what it seams to limit travel or free range of the suspension in one way or another. For a panard bar to work perfect you need to have side play in the axle, may be small but you need some. These little trucks have zero side play no matter what link system you go to. Therefore no matter what the panard bar causes binding when the suspension moves.

I would rather have full travel suspension rather than zero bump steer. In all my playing around the only way to get both perfect are to mount the servo back to the axle.

All that said, on to the interior. The interior comes 6-1/2" wide at the floor. Actually I got the idea of the interior from Mechanic, another RCCrawler member. He put one in a Honcho and it looked outstanding.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
OK, understand why you said what you did.

Here is my theory, right or wrong. The aluminum bar I bought for the front mounts the servo point where I have it located. I can move it out to the normal location with no big deal, and may do jusy that after playing with it some. This will cut the angle down in half of what it is.

I played with 3 link, 4 link and a panard bar. No matter what it seams to limit travel or free range of the suspension in one way or another. For a panard bar to work perfect you need to have side play in the axle, may be small but you need some. These little trucks have zero side play no matter what link system you go to. Therefore no matter what the panard bar causes binding when the suspension moves.

I would rather have full travel suspension rather than zero bump steer. In all my playing around the only way to get both perfect are to mount the servo back to the axle.

All that said, on to the interior. The interior comes 6-1/2" wide at the floor. Actually I got the idea of the interior from Mechanic, another RCCrawler member. He put one in a Honcho and it looked outstanding.
Every setup seems to have its trade offs. I had to run a 3 link with a panhard due to the servo hitting the frame. Of course my Ding is stupid low and amazingly stable. I'm actually getting it to crawl stuff my buddies heavily modded AX10 crawls and things we never thought the SCX-10 would ever do. My limiting factor is my body and bumpers catching on stuff most of the time.

The 3 link took everything off the top of the axle and allowed it to move freely without anything hitting the frame. I do lose maybe 1/8" of up travel, but my down travel is only limited by the actual travel of my shocks themselves.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

looks great, my only real problem with it is the grill and headlight covers kinda bugs me.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
looks great, my only real problem with it is the grill and headlight covers kinda bugs me.
The grill is real "mirrored" aluminum and the headlight covers are the stock axial plastic covers.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The grill is real "mirrored" aluminum and the headlight covers are the stock axial plastic covers.
just some constructive criticism, something does not look right about them being there. but its your truck not mine. as i said though looks good just may look better if the grill were a paint finish instead of mirrored.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Love the look of your rig are those gmade shocks
josborne024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

the mirrored aluminium is a piece available through quadratec for 1:1 jeeps...
the ONLY thing that really kinda caught my eye in a wierd way was the gloss fenders. they look sahara edition-ish (not my fav but thats opinion)
i woulda painted em satin black to mimic the bolt on plastic a little better. other than that ONE stinky little opinion that is a seriously
KILLER BUILD!
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
the mirrored aluminium is a piece available through quadratec for 1:1 jeeps...
the ONLY thing that really kinda caught my eye in a wierd way was the gloss fenders. they look sahara edition-ish (not my fav but thats opinion)
i woulda painted em satin black to mimic the bolt on plastic a little better. other than that ONE stinky little opinion that is a seriously
KILLER BUILD!
Thats funny, I have been thinking the same thing about the shiny flares. Its a lexan body so anything you paint on the inside turns shiny. I thought about painting them on the outside so I can go satin black but it would most likely just get rubbed off.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thats funny, I have been thinking the same thing about the shiny flares. Its a lexan body so anything you paint on the inside turns shiny. I thought about painting them on the outside so I can go satin black but it would most likely just get rubbed off.
If you use Tamiya rubber black it will give you the effect. Even sprayed from the inside. Used it on my Cherokee and turned out real close to 1:1.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote

My first crawler build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
maxx crawler build Never even driven a crawler jh1985 Traxxas Crawlers 2 07-21-2011 02:04 PM
Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1/10 Rock Crawler Kit Build, Chapter 2 "The Mod Build" JAM MaxAmps.com Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-06-2008 10:00 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM