Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Front Left Wheel Binding When Turning Right...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Front Left Wheel Binding When Turning Right...

Hi everyone.

I installed the Axial aluminum 4 link setup tonight on the front and rear, and it comes with the Axial aluminum steering links.

After I installed it, I noticed that the front left wheel seems to be sticking a bit when I'm turning all the way to the right.

It would appear that the steering knuckle is hitting the screw that holds the hub carrier in place.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure this started after putting the new steering link on. It's possible that it was happening before with the stock stuff, and I just never noticed it.

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong, or a part that I need to get, in order to remedy this situation??

Thanks.
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Front Left Wheel Binding When Turning Right...

With u holding it. turn the steering and just check for anything thats looks like it m ight get stuck on.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I can clearly see that it's hitting the screw holding that hub carrier on. I turned the truck upside down on my floor and went full right and held the trigger down very lightly. I can see where it's binding against that screw, but it only seems to do it about every 180 degrees.

I'll try to get a video.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
My vendor status has been revoked

sounds like its your dogbone joint... maybe its a little worn out? so at that high degree angle the joint is not aligning properly? just my guess..
summitcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It does seem like it's got to have something to do with the dogbone, but I don't think it would be worn out...I've only had the truck for a month, and it's got maybe a total of two hours of use, more than half of which was just light trail driving.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Alright, I put the stock steering links back on it tonight, and it's still doing the same thing.

Which leads me to one of two conclusions.

It was doing it all the time, and I just noticed tonight when I was inspecting the truck with the 4 link setup installed...

...or...

The 4 link has somehow caused an issue with the drive train.

I'm leaning towards option one.

I noticed that it seemed like what was causing it was the dog bone was getting a bit snagged in the piece that it goes into that actually turns the wheel. I'm sorry, I don't know what that part is called.

I also noticed that the truck turns to the right a LOT more than it turns to the left. I was able to get the right turns evened out to the left by adjusting the endpoints on my radio. When I did that, the binding went away.

So I'm wondering if I just hadn't noticed it but it had been doing it all along, and by adjusting my endpoints I took that out of the system.

I'm still open to any other thoughts if anyone has them. I really don't know how installing the 4 link would cause this, but if anyone thinks that it could be the culprit, by all means let me know!!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

It was probably doing it all along, because of the radio (mis)adjustment. It is common for the knuckle to bottom out on the screw for the c-hub, that is just the limits of the stock steering set up. You should adjust your EPAs so it just touches but does not try to keep turning when it's bottomed out. If it's too far open, it will shorten the life of your servo considerably.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Okay. I think I've got it set up pretty well now.

Thanks for the tip Big Daddy.

I ordered some aluminum steering knuckles anyways, so when those come I'll get everything completely dialed in. I won't be driving the truck for a few days anyways...long work days this week...so the knuckles should show up before I get a chance to go out again.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Another thing is you need to set the epa so that when you turn the dog bone doesn't come out of the stub. My friend was having this same issue and I just turned his epa down till the dog bone stayed where it was suppose to be when he turned. He swapped to the cv style shaft now and can turn till the knuckle just barely touches. I wish they made the universal shafts for these like they do the wraith.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Craddock, that's what it seemed like it was doing...like the dog bone was very slightly coming out of the stub.

Which CV shafts work?? I've found the Axial part number, but am having trouble finding them in stock anywhere.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I havn't seen them in stock anywhere either. My friend got them on here out of the for sale section. I have been watching for a set myself but at the same time I am hoping axial will start making the universal style for the scx10. If they did I would snatch up a set of them. I have heard of people making them and there is some kind of mod to make them fit without doing much. I think you can get the long beef tube and wraith chubs and knuckles to get the wraith shafts to fit but I think you have to buy 2 sets of axles and use the long shafts. I have thought about doing that with mine but I would read about more before I did it to make sure what all is needed.

The cv shafts for the ax10 are the ones you need they are the same as the scx10 just seems like nobody lists them for the scx10. You might be able to email rpp hobby or somebody and ask when or if they will be getting them back in stock.

Last edited by craddock35; 05-22-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Okay cool.

I'll keep my eyes open for a set of the CV shafts.

I found them at one online seller, but I've never even heard of them so I'm a bit reluctant to place the order.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Axial cvd's have been disco'ed for awhile now iirc.

The xr universal mod can be done a couple ways. I opted for the standard width as its a scaler. Pardon the crap pic...

Chubs, knucks, shafts, some grinding and you're there
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I looked for how to do that one here while back but never could find it.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Axial cvd's have been disco'ed for awhile now iirc.
Nope, Axial CVD's were never discontinued Thats some bad info!

Scheduled to be in early June: TowerHobbies.com | AXIAX30464 AX30464 Axial Universal Set AX10 (2)

Hope that helps
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Wow that's good news. Have a buddy looking for some. Perhaps confused info with mips.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35
I looked for how to do that one here while back but never could find it.
Check the ax10 section, a lot more info and pics than I can provide.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Check the ax10 section, a lot more info and pics than I can provide.
That is probably where I messed up I was searching in the scx10 section and didn't think to check the ax10 section.

That is good news on the shafts not being discontinued. Now if they would do the universal style for the scx10 so we don't have to do the xr mods to have them.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I went ahead and ordered the CV axles from Tower. They don't charge your card until they ship, so that's a good thing. If I find them somewhere else, like Ebay, before then, I can cancel the order.

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I found my CVDs on ebay awhile back and only paid like $15 for them brand new. Just have to keep an eye out.

Having it to do all over again, I probably would have done the XR mod. Those u joints seem to work really well.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Front Left Wheel Binding When Turning Right... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left front wheel not spinning on V2 Axle... i-5 EnRoute Berg 5 06-19-2011 08:09 AM
XR10 Left front wheel wobble question xv-townboy Axial XR10 17 12-24-2010 02:18 PM
Turning LNC into a LCC driveshafts binding? skkeeter Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 06-08-2010 12:13 AM
Trouble turning Left ArmyStrong Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 10-08-2009 09:10 PM
stopped turning left???? king_crawler General Crawlers 2 01-18-2006 01:37 PM