Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Got a new Honcho but have some questions, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Got a new Honcho but have some questions, please help

Hi everyone,

I just recently (yesterday) got my hands on a new SCX10 Honcho RTR and I have a few questions as I get started.

Before I list my questions I will give you a quick idea of what I am trying to do. I would like to make a nice, scale rig that fits the requirements of the SORRCA "street" class. I care about performance to some extent, but I'm more focused on keeping everything scale, clean looking, and well built. I have a Proline Bronco body that I would like to mount on the Honcho chassis, and I am waiting on a set of 1.9 Flat Irons and white "stock-looking" steel wheels from rc4wd.com.

My questions are:

1. I've noticed that the front shocks are almost half way compressed after putting the battery in, and I only have a 1/2 inch or less of suspension travel before the steering linkage hits the frame rails. This seems fine for the Honcho's raked stance, but for the Bronco I'd like the ride height to be level front to back. I have adjusted the spring retainers so that the springs are compressed and stiff. This brought the height up so that the shocks are now almost fully extended with the battery installed. This is great for the ride height but obviously it is way to stiff. I believe the stock shocks are 90mm eye-to-eye, so should I go with a slightly taller aftermarket shock/spring to get the height, or maybe just get slightly stiffer springs from Axial so that the front doesn't sag as much?

2. Aside from the ride height, I'd like to replace the upper and lower links with adjustable metal versions. I've seen the links from Axial and read about others on the forum, and my questions is are there any brands that you recommend that will give me some good adjustability? I would like to be able to adjust the pinion angle on the axles as well as fine tune the wheel base to fit the body by adjusting the links. Also, I have not been able to find any replacement for the stock plastic front 3 link. Can you recommend any metal versions, aside from going to a 4 link?

here are a few pictures of the Bronco body mocked up on the chassis. The front springs are very compressed in these pictures in order to get the front end from sagging. I really like the stance and height, but I need to get the shocks figured out so that I can keep the height and get some suspension performance.

Thanks in advance for any help guys. I have been into 1:1 crawling and off-raoding for a few years now (running a built up Jeep TJ) and I am blown away at how realistic and similar these scale rigs are.

thanks, Dan
dan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Got a new Honcho but have some questions, please help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
honcho questions Stangdude99 Axial SCX-10 1 03-16-2012 08:31 PM
Stock honcho questions Stangman92 Axial SCX-10 11 03-06-2012 07:35 PM
Jay2380's honcho questions? Jay2380 Axial SCX-10 7 02-06-2011 07:29 PM
A couple honcho questions ageekwithabaja Axial SCX-10 5 02-13-2010 09:23 AM
Honcho Questions.... Zuk90 Axial SCX-10 4 12-19-2009 08:27 PM