Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another Honcho or Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another Honcho or Dingo

I bought a LNC to put an 80 series landcruiser body on it to make a replica of my 1:1 crawler. Got to hooked on crawling and started modding it. The I bought an SCX10 about a week ago because it was more scale and would accept the Landcruiser body better. Shortened the wheelbase mached up the body and started painting. While waiting for the body to dry I relengthened the wheel base put some losi rock claws on it, cut the body, threw some proline scaler shocks on and weighted the wheels and took it on a hike. I like it to much to make a shelf queen out of it. So my question is should I buy another Honcho and shorten it up and build my Landcruiser ? Or would it make more sense to buy a Dingo throw in some cheap electronics in it since its just for fun ? Or option three buy a Dingo and put all my Honcho electronics in it and upgrade the Honcho ? I will still cruise the Landcruiser around but the bodies are hard to come by so I don't want to damage it by beating the crud out of it.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another Honcho or Dingo

Thats really your call man. If you like messing with your truck take the more challenging route. Otherwise do what fits you best. OR play with all the things! ;) What good is a body you spent money on if it sits on the shelf? Wasnt the point to enjoy it?
a2hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm in the same boat. I bought a Honcho and a Land Rover Discovery body to put on it. When they arrived the Honcho wheel base was too long so I ordered the Axial Dingo aluminium link kit which was the exact wheelbase.
While waiting for the link kit to arrive I've been hill and cliff climbing the Honcho and love it - it's so capable. I've also painted it and bought a few suspension bits. But it's getting bashed - You can't help but take it to the limits and try the impossible .... more often than not ending in a roll over, and if you're playing on cliffs and hills a roll over can be epic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hsvholdencars?feature=mhee

The link kit has arrived and I've installed it and taken the Honcho out again and now that it's 30mm shorter it can't climb any of my original tracks without flipping over backwards.

Like you, I don't want a shelf trophy or an immaculate scale LR3 that I can only drive on flat ground so I think I'm going to get the Honcho aluminium link kit to lengthen it back to stock and stay with the Honcho body. The LR3 body can be for when the Honcho is sitting at home waiting for another run!
Holdencars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have two sets of links so that I can run both the Honcho body with Honcho length links or the Proline 2Dr. JK with Dingo length links.

I am not having any issues with the front end coming off the the ground when running the Dingo wheel base.

You do need to do some tuning such as relocating the battery so that you can get lower the center of gravity. I also run 4 oz of weights in the front wheels and 2 oz in the rear.

Of course it is more fun to have 2 or 3 or ... more crawlers.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to get the Dingo Kit and use all the electronics from the Honcho then upgrade it i think. I dont want the landcruiser to sit on the shelf but like Holdencars said the body get trashed pretty fast when you crawl them hard up hills and stuff.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

meh, shit'll buff out. just repaint it when it gets scratched that's my take. if you're worried, buy another body now and save it for display. there will always be a latest and greatest body for your scaler - unless you hand-make a hard body that can't really be replaced.

i don't really understand your question about honcho or dingo and building either one up vs the other since they're both the same, just different body and link lengths. what i would do is keep the cruiser, build it, use it, break it, fix it, use it, etc. and get another Cruiser body for backup. If your question was about which NEW scx to add to your fleet, then the answer is kinda obvious -- Honcho since you seem like a Yota fan

btw, body only really gets trashed when you paint the outside of the lexan since the paint scratches off. hard-bodies get trashed since they're rigid.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote

Another Honcho or Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
honcho vs. dingo bigdogramsst Axial SCX-10 23 07-28-2012 04:27 AM
honcho to dingo help slashinbashin Axial SCX-10 2 03-17-2012 08:12 PM
honcho vs dingo LUNAticCrawlingCrew Axial SCX-10 11 07-26-2011 04:13 PM
Honcho or Dingo?? geekfreek95 Axial SCX-10 11 02-23-2011 10:07 PM
honcho vs. dingo geekfreek95 Axial SCX-10 2 02-16-2011 05:27 PM