Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scale replica of a real crawler project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Scale replica of a real crawler project

What's up guys (and gals)?!?! I'm new here poting but I have been here many times for reference and of course inspiration. Well, now it's my turn

I have a 2nd Gen Axial SCX10 Honcho and I have a great friend of mine that has a Tacoma crawler. Its found on TTORA,Pirate4x4, NC4x4, Hardline and more!

Anyway, I've decided to make my Honcho as close to his as possible. Meaning exact scale dimensions. I'll be using 3/16" steel rod and 3/16" square steel stock for the flat bed and then the rod for everything else. I'll also be working with the TIG torch for this project.

I'll get some current pictures of my Honcho tomorrow, but here are pictures of my friends truck to give you an idea of what I'm doing.

Specs:
2001 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road 3.4L V6 Supercharged Automatic
Marlin Crawler doubler T-case with a stock Tacoma T-case
Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt full float rear
39.5" Iroks on custom made beadlock wheels
Walker Evan coilovers
Alcan leaf packs with Walker Evan shocks
Full interior roll cage
All custom flat bed

My Honcho:

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 10-12-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Pretty cool.... Do you plan to replicate the rear bed area cause it looks fairly easy with some styrene. Good luck with it. Keep updates with pictures.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scale replica of a real crawler project

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Pretty cool.... Do you plan to replicate the rear bed area cause it looks fairly easy with some styrene. Good luck with it. Keep updates with pictures.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
Yes, I plan on fabricating every bit of metal protection on the 1:1 truck to my Honcho.

I'll be using 3/16" square steel stock for the flat bed and then covering it with sheetmetal. for the bumper, rock sliders and the bed rock slider tie in hoops, I'll be fabricating it out of 3/16" cold rolled steel rod.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks great! I'll be following your thread. Can't wait to see more.
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

nice trucks!! go to rc4wd they have the tacoma stickers don't add any lights in the front with that sticker its gonna look real nice
bryan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juswin24 View Post
Looks great! I'll be following your thread. Can't wait to see more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_crawler View Post
nice trucks!! go to rc4wd they have the tacoma stickers don't add any lights in the front with that sticker its gonna look real nice
Thanks fellas! I hope to get on a real roll here next week.. Just all of the cuts and measurements is very tedious work.

I was planning on getting the sticker sheet to match the generation of my friend's Tacoma. It'll definitely make it look better. Those lights were already in there from when I got it used (like 6 packs old). I think it looks really cool and may add it back to the new stickers.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

that truck looks like a honcho just get the stickers and if your good at metal work you can make it look just like that one in no time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Thanks fellas! I hope to get on a real roll here next week.. Just all of the cuts and measurements is very tedious work.

I was planning on getting the sticker sheet to match the generation of my friend's Tacoma. It'll definitely make it look better. Those lights were already in there from when I got it used (like 6 packs old). I think it looks really cool and may add it back to the new stickers.
bryan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_crawler View Post
that truck looks like a honcho just get the stickers and if your good at metal work you can make it look just like that one in no time
They are on the list. I am in the welding program at my local Community College, therefore that's the only cahnce I have to get a TIG torch in my palm. This last week I've been cutting, grinding and preparing all of the piece for assembly. I still have another 60% to do.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'll also get some RC4WD Yota axles or of the like to match the 1:1 Tacoma's 1 ton axles.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

:woohoo!: Updates!!!

Here is a little work I did today. I'm not satisfied with the bed height, so I'll probably redo it eventually. Here you go!

This is the bed and upper portion of the front bumper:

Here is the bed portion welded to the frame:

And the front bumper that will be redone before this is over too. The whole thing is crooked, I guess that's what I get bending the rod with only a table vise:

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Day 2, completed!

Well the bumper still needs to be worked out... I think the grille hoop is throwing me off.

Temporarily painted:

Hope y'all enjoy! As anything else, I'm learning as I go. First time I've handled the TIG torch in 3-4 years and the first time I've done any type of work like this.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm lovin that front grill. The rear looks like its gonna come out pretty trick.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
I'm lovin that front grill. The rear looks like its gonna come out pretty trick.
Thank you, sir! I figured for the covering of the bed I'm just going to get a thin sheet metal and use bed liner for the texture. The flat bed is about 60% done as of right now.

Alright guys, I have a few questions and I know it's been covered but sometimes it's just easier for it to be answered in your thread instead of having to try and find the same thread again.

Leaf springs:

The rear will be scaled down from the 1:1 Tacoma as well. I have been looking and here's what I have come up with:

-Chino63 military wrap springs. The back of the Honcho will be HEAVY when it's completed.
-RC4WD shackles and hangers. Black of course. Thoughts on that product for the Honcho? What about pinion block and such? Help!

I know RCBros has a conversion kit but he's out of stock, plus I enjoy the challenge of making it my own.

I appreciate the comments guys, I'm open for advice too! Thanks for all the help and I'll be keeping this thread with tons of updates.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well I was looking around Tractor Supply today and found something very interesting and alot more scale than what you would find on RC4WD or RCBros.

This is #35 roller chain link. Its the perfect shape and size. It'll fit around the frame and then use some plastic of nylon spacers so it all fits correctly. I'm still trying to see how to do the hangers and how to do the leaf springs. I found a crappy measuring tape and took the spring but it looks WAYY too thin and flexible. Any advice for me?

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 10-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

MOAR!!!!!! Thank you to the classmates that have helped me out with the welding and fabrication.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 10-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Scale Detail Engineering

I love the front bumper, it's bad ass man!

They make 1/10 diamond plate aluminum...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I love the front bumper, it's bad ass man!

They make 1/10 diamond plate aluminum...
Thank you, sir! Its a little crooked but it isn't too bad for being new to this.. You can only get better!

I saw whereRC4WD carries it, however, I can't use it because you can't efficiently weld Aluminum to mild steel. So I just used real 1/8th" diamond plate.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Alright here are some better pictures than it being on a vise with no driveline:

working on the leaf spring assembly now
Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Thank you, sir! Its a little crooked but it isn't too bad for being new to this.. You can only get better!

I saw whereRC4WD carries it, however, I can't use it because you can't efficiently weld Aluminum to mild steel. So I just used real 1/8th" diamond plate.
How about use the flat reverse side of the checker plate face up, and then attach the scale diamond plate to that?

looking really good though, much better than the projects I got to do in school!
southcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcrawler View Post
How about use the flat reverse side of the checker plate face up, and then attach the scale diamond plate to that?

looking really good though, much better than the projects I got to do in school!
I thought about that. The extra weight from the diamond plate has really helped out the weight distribution though. Plus the diamond plate was free, haha.

That's a great idea though! Using like CA glue or some other type of epoxy..

But thank you! Yeah its fun and I'm only expanding my "know-how".

Scale replica of a real crawler project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a real scale crawler! action pics pg10 chino63 1.9 Scale Rigs 419 01-26-2015 11:08 PM
First Scale Build...replica of my first '74 Bronco jnaarnold Axial SCX-10 7 10-16-2012 10:01 AM
My 1:1 project and its 1:10 replica... Soulo747 Axial SCX-10 18 04-03-2012 03:24 PM
Project Suzuki Samuri tube crawler.replica of a real crawler RCWizard General Crawlers 7 12-24-2004 06:53 PM