Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions

Hello guys, I m on the way to have the new kit.
It sgoing to be for scalling only. Electronics will be savox 1230, Castle BEC10 amps, Castle SV3 and integy 35 turns.
First question is Lipo, 2 S or 3S ? I thought 2 x 3S 2500 mah, one of each side of motor for a great CG....what do you think about that...2S or 3S because it s a question of wheel speed. For 2S I have already some Nanotech 6000mah.

Next question is for the owners of radio Airtronics MX-3X. I want to put an electric winch from RC4WD, could I be abble to control the winch with my 3rd channel and if yes what is the setup.....I cannot try by myself, because if I can do that, I order this one otherwise I ll order the one with little bip- remote control.

Tks for your help guys and pics will be here ASAP, I have a lot of idea and a good budget...
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have a lot of idea and a good budget...
Then might I suggest you rethink that Integy motor? I've had Integy motors before, yes I know they're okay enough, but I also have a 35 turn Holmes Torquemaster Pro in my SCX and there's a world of difference. The smoothness and power are noticable, to say the least.

When I tore apart the AX in my avatar and rebuilt it as an SCX, I used the stock gearing which was 14/87 (48p). IIRC the stock gearing in a factory is 20/87, isn't it? I'd recommend 14 teeth if you run that Integy, or a 16 if you spring for a Holmes or Brood hand-wound.
Personally, I run 3S, and think you should do the same. Gearing high to get your wheel speeds up is going to make for less leverage for the motor and more heat. Also results in more amp draw, so 'C' rating's going to need to be higher. My Go-to packs are some G-force 3S/1300/30C packs from Valuehobby.

As far as the winch controller, I'm not familiar with the Airtronics radios, but I know HeyOK has a winch controller that works with a two position (on-off) third channel switch. Check with Team3Six and Overkill RC, I think one or both may have something similar.

Just my opinions, and ideas for what to search for, take 'em with a grain of salt.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Tks for the reply man, I ve seen that Holmes hobbies do a motor for scaler in 27 turns...maybe a good option too.
For lipo 3S dual, one on each side of skid plates....what is your average run time with your lipo?
I remember thatnwhen I had my wraith, with 3S 1550 mah I had 40 minutes.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I ve seen that Holmes hobbies do a motor for scaler in 27 turns...maybe a good option too.
(shrug) He's got far more experience than I do, I don't figure he'd offer one up if it was just a blatantly bad idea. Though I think if I were to run one of those, I'd limit how much time I spent on gnarly climbs, and probably avoid mud pits, grassy knolls, and sand dunes. Probably runs at a nice, brisk pace on cleared trails, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois
For lipo 3S dual, one on each side of skid plates....what is your average run time with your lipo?
I remember thatnwhen I had my wraith, with 3S 1550 mah I had 40 minutes.
I run mine single, and with 3S/1300 mAh I can easily squeeze out 45 mins in my AX crawler (2.2 t/w), and in the SCX (1.9 w/t), a good hour + of climbing boxes in the basement (didn't have time to get out on the trails before the weather turned). Parallel up a pair of 2500s, and I think you might be bored silly by the time you ran them down. (My Sidewinder Micros won't even turn on if I series up a pair of 2S's. Probably just as well, I don't want to have to start buying 4S packs and a more capable charger.)
Maybe if I really feel like doing a torture test, I'll do a trail run this summer with my MaxAmps (2S/13,500mAh), and see if I can't make a day of it.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

One hour with 3S 1300mah so I can go with smaller than 2x2500 mah like that I can save weight.
I still want two lipo on the skid plate for lower CG.
About ESC, holmes BR-XL COST 110 in waterproof version and the SV3 cost 64$ waterproof too. With castle link I can program it properly and I don t care about the great BEC of the BR-XL ( 5 amps) because I ll run an external BEC
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Based on Castle's site, the SV3 is waterproof, but "not intended" to be ran underwater. Honestly until a handful of people get these and do some real world running, we're not gonna know how well they're waterproofed.

As far as running an Integy motor, I have 2 that I run. There have been some concerns recently about the QC on the newer ones. If you're on a budget get one, if not I'd recommend a HH or Brood motor.

For the winch control, if your TX has a 3 position 3rd channel, you shouldn't have any issues hooking up the winch. As for which voltage, I run mostly 2S, 3S from time to time. Either work, with proper gearing 2S is pretty much perfect for a realistic experience. 3S is fun when you're trying to break stuff or showing off.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The difference between the scx10 rubicon and the scx10 honcho RC_addict1 Axial SCX-10 14 01-06-2015 08:52 AM
Rubicon kit im gunna crawl Axial SCX-10 4 01-17-2013 11:05 AM
Questions about original AX10 KIT (first gen.) and latest KIT GWEEDZ Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-18-2012 07:30 AM
About to buy SCX10 kit, 2 questions federally Axial SCX-10 18 07-23-2011 10:54 AM
HPI Rubicon Questions... MLambert19 Paint and Body 6 02-22-2009 02:43 PM