Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: DRV KRAWLER from Comp to Scaler Almost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default DRV KRAWLER from Comp to Scaler Almost

I broke down both of my Frogger builds. The "OG" was a great rig. Sold off that rig altogether but, a few small parts remained in the box. Then I broke down the "PD" to build a Scaler for my Son Nicholas. He is 4 and just is not into the Crawler Speeds. He was more interested into a "Basher".
Traded off my "PD" Chassis to a member on RCC. for a SCX10 chassis with aluminum links. All of the remaining Parts from the "PD" is going onto this Rig. Any interest in axles, Trans and Electronics can be found here : "The official Tuolumne County Poison Dart"

Here we go :

Here is the pile of parts thrown into a box after disassembly of the "PD". I was sad to see the Rig torn down it was a KICKA$$ set up.

A few items as I got ready to apply what I have learned from the Comp side. I have chosen to follow the Comp type set up and applied to a SCX10 format. Let see what comes of it.

This was the first go around with links. Ended up shorter on the wheel base in later photos.

I started out with the three link design just to see where it was going. This was my first set up on a SCX10. Except when I built my Foff. Totally different direction than this build. If any interest in what a Foff is : DRV KRAWLER FOFF'en Formula Offroad {UPDATES to come to the this build also}.

I modified the front VP 4-link battery servo mount to use on the rear end and used the Rear VP 4-link on the front of this build.

DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: DRV KRAWLER from Comp to Scaler Almost

Well up and running Pretty Damn quick with the 16t Cralwmaster for HH. My son wanted a Body ASAP. This is all I had and he loves it. I have a second body rough cut waiting to paint.

Pretty Funny Looking with a XR body on a SCX10 Chassis. Better protected during the shake down of the running gear. Especially with a $ year old at the Wheel. I did however strip the Kimbrough Spur gear almost instantly.

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 01-20-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added additional comment.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

A few other changes as this has taken place.

Here is a few with the body roughly cut.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
Traded off my "PD" Chassis to a member on RCC. for a SCX10 chassis with aluminum links.
Yeah, one of you guys shoulda jumped on that trade..... the Poison Dart was in absolutely IMMACULATE shape. I should probably look at making a (re)build thread on that thing soon. Meh.

Kid's truck is looking pretty good so far. Now you said you were going all stars and stripes on that pickup body, right? (j/k)
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Yeah, one of you guys shoulda jumped on that trade..... the Poison Dart was in absolutely IMMACULATE shape. I should probably look at making a (re)build thread on that thing soon. Meh.

Kid's truck is looking pretty good so far. Now you said you were going all stars and stripes on that pickup body, right? (j/k)
LOL ! Actually that had crossed my mind early on. I am going to attempt to make the body look like my 1977 Ford F150 4X4. It is Multi colored and a few rust spots here and there. We shall see how that goes.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
RCC Addict

How about a quick run down on parts :

Beef tubes front and rear axles
O/D Front Axle
U/D Rear Axle
Front Axial C-Hubs
Front Zero Acherman VP Knuckles
3 Racing CVD w/ Gunnar pins Front axle
VP Rear lock outs
Gunnar Hex pins all 4 corners
VP Front / Rear 4-Link paltes reversed and moded front to rear.
VP Razors in back
(2) 3.5 Traxxas BigBores w/ Mini T Spring cups in the Front
(2) 4.0 Traxxas BigBores w/ Mini T Spring cups on the Rear
Axial Trans all Robinsion racing intrernals w/ VP Dig
Hitech Mg225 for the Dig
MIP Drive shafts front and rear
HH 16T CrawlMaster
Tekin FXR ESC
Airtronics 94780 w/ CC Bec
VP DH (2) for the front
VP SLW V4 w. C.I. Wideners (2) for the rear
RC4WD Mud slingers

Last edited by DRV KRAWLER; 01-21-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Well I have only received one comment on this thread SHOCKER. I must say for my first SCX10 built Rig this thing is one of my over all favorite builds. It has been purpose built for my 4 year old Son. He prefers the quicker speeds than the real Crawlers.
I really like the effect of the VP Dig unit installed this way. It provides a rear wheel drive for spinning the tires and little roosters. While still being able to lock in the 4 wheel drive for good old "Bashing". One other cool feature is locking the front axle and doing "Brake stands".
I will be double checking what pinion gear I am running at present on the 16t HH CrawlMaster. I may go larger for additional speed. I do have the Tekin FXR that can be tuned in addition.
I did install the VP Razors on the rear of this Rig. I had them left over from the "PD". With the additional shock height and the Razors have given the rig a "Rake" to it. It seems with the 3.5 Big Bores on the front and the 4.0 Big Bores and Razors on the rear. That it is a formidable climber in must rough terrain.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated here. I would like to here some opinions on the Suspension set up for sure.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Nice build, looks really good, like all the fancy VP doohickeys on the transmission.
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
With the additional shock height and the Razors have given the rig a "Rake" to it.

Quote:
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated here. I would like to hear some opinions on the Suspension set up for sure.
Indeed it does have some rake to it.
Must be the significantly longer wheelbase you're running, because on my super short CUCV, I went with Slash front shocks all around (w/ no Razors), and I still wonder if that's too high. But if your little guy likes it, and can wheel it around without it falling over too much, then I'd say however you run it is right enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER
I really like the effect of the VP Dig unit installed this way. It provides a rear wheel drive for spinning the tires and little roosters. While still being able to lock in the 4 wheel drive for good old "Bashing". One other cool feature is locking the front axle and doing "Brake stands".
Sure beats what I did with the eMaxx! Last time I ran that thing out in the snow, I jumped over the path to the alley, and came up short. Front end hit the opposing snowbank, under full power of course, and shattered the front driveshaft. 2WD for the rest of the day, and a blood curdling knocking sound of a drive shaft flopping around underneath. That was a one way ride, though, no going back to 4WD.
Having the ability to pop into 2WD should provide some fun with doughnuts (brodies, twisties, spinnies, whatever they're called where you are) and other throttle assisted turning activities.

Looks like you've got a pretty solidly built machine there, have fun runnin' it.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post

Indeed it does have some rake to it.
Must be the significantly longer wheelbase you're running, because on my super short CUCV, I went with Slash front shocks all around (w/ no Razors), and I still wonder if that's too high. But if your little guy likes it, and can wheel it around without it falling over too much, then I'd say however you run it is right enough.

Sure beats what I did with the eMaxx! Last time I ran that thing out in the snow, I jumped over the path to the alley, and came up short. Front end hit the opposing snowbank, under full power of course, and shattered the front driveshaft. 2WD for the rest of the day, and a blood curdling knocking sound of a drive shaft flopping around underneath. That was a one way ride, though, no going back to 4WD.
Having the ability to pop into 2WD should provide some fun with doughnuts (brodies, twisties, spinnies, whatever they're called where you are) and other throttle assisted turning activities.

Looks like you've got a pretty solidly built machine there, have fun runnin' it.

Thank you my Friend ! If it was not for you Trading up I would still be building up funds for the Chassis. I hope all is going well on the "PD" set up for you. I have been keeping a eye out for a Thread.

Actually with the set up as it is. This rig climbs very well also cresting and down hill is quite capable. I thought at first it was going to be top heavy. I tried really hard too create a 55 to 45 weight split on this build. Without scales not sure but pretty damn close.
The over drive front axle with the under drive rear is a huge benefit all together on this rig.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
Nice build, looks really good, like all the fancy VP doohickeys on the transmission.
The VP Dig is a Great addition to this Rig. I really "DIG" the ability of 2wd and 4wd. Plus locking the front axle to do a brake stand is pretty FUNNY !
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Re: DRV KRAWLER from Comp to Scaler Almost *COOL UPDATE*

All not good reviews so far on this thread. I am hoping that this addition will make up for it. With running the VP Dig limited space was issue the new battery 11.1 40c 2200. After looking into the situation of mounting it low as possible up front.
I grabbed the tool box with all of my misc. Axial plastic left overs. The key parts is from stock Wraith Chassis shock mount. 1 - 20 mm Aluminum link. 4 - Plastic stock servo mounts. 2- Steering link ends. 4 - 5mm Aluminum spacers. 2 - 45 mm Aluminum links. And a few screws and washers. All of the above parts I had Just in the bottom of my tool box.

I apologize for the picture Quality. Had to use the Old Camera. If some are interested in better pictures let me know. I have thought about doing a thread on just this mount. it is perfect on clearance and cost. I would be willing to disassemble and do a step by step if anyone is interested.

This is the result :

Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Received these in the mail Yesterday. AWESOME GIVEAWAY by Die-Laughing. GripFab "Grip-Lok" Locker Giveaway #2 I can't wait to install these.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

I was wondering what was going on over in this camp.......

You won again?!?!?!?!? You've been on a giveaway winning tear lately haven't you? Congratulations, lucky bugger!

Any progress on that pickup body?

And has junior gotten any stick time on it? How's he likiln' it?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I know, can you believe it. I have won quite a bit of Swag this year. THANK YOU Vendors ! No progress on the Body. Been playing with my 1968 Mustang Convertible. Actually very pleased with the over all Running of this rig. I really have no need to change anything other than these Awesome lockers. Nicholas is becoming quite a driver. He prefers the performance of this way more than the Crawler. With the Dig and the 16 t HH motor It is a pretty zippy Rig. The under and over driven axles are really vital in this type of rig in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
RCC Addict

updated pictures :