Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: the "Blizzard" build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Default the "Blizzard" build

First off, obviously my first post here so hello to all! Now, im in the process of building a Honcho that I call "Blizzard" (or bliz). Bliz started life as a rtr Scx-10 Honch "Adventure Series". It is admittedly under-used and more of a toy than any scaler I have ever built before (i think is my 5th scx10). It will eventually be used like a normal scaler, but for now it is a purpose built snow pounder. Will be uploading build pics shortly, but at this second I am in the process of installing a full custom four-link front and rear, as well as a set of Ar60 Ocp axles. I run 2.2 Pitbull Rock Beast tires, a stock ae-2 esc, Integy 35t motor, 5000mah 2s battery, and Gmade TS-02 shocks. Stay tuned!!!
Wizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #2

Default Re: the "Blizzard" build

Where it all began. Those tires never saw dirt.

Last edited by Wizzle; 02-16-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #3

After a little trimming and tweaking it was doing well in the snow, but there is always room for improvement.

The best thing about snow wheeling; self cleaning rigs!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

The TS02 shocks, simple yet effective!

And of course a new body was in order, love the Honcho but hated the silver.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

As of a few days ago i decided that overkill is necessary, so it has become time to fit some OCP axles. Just mocking up a new upper link mount, going for a shorter upper link to clear the driveline.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #6

Got the front suspension worked out after a few trials. Looks like itll flex well and is quite stable. Going for the 'it couldve came like that out of the box' look. Damn drill bit slipped and gouged the reciever box. Oh well.

Last edited by Wizzle; 02-16-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: oops
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #7

This is my current front end, finishing the rear tomorrow!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Now you just need some bigger tires, hehehe . Actually, some wide rims would be cool for the snow rigs to get that arctic truck style "balloon" look.

Welcome to the boards.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Now you just need some bigger tires, hehehe . Actually, some wide rims would be cool for the snow rigs to get that arctic truck style "balloon" look.

Welcome to the boards.

Thanks! And i think im running the widest rims available haha! I definately could go 'balloon tire' if i wanted to get some narrower ones but i love having my footprint being so wide for the snow. When spring rolls around itll get a heap of unsprung weight added as well as smaller (but still large) tires.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #10

And that green rig is running the stock ripsaw tires that came on my ridgecrest. They are quite good in the powder as well!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #11

I finally got out to the hobby store and got the last couple parts i needed to finish this beast. Here is a pic of me lining up the upper rear links.

And a few pics of them mounted up.

the final product.

I think it should be stable hehehe...

Well, my goal was to end up with something mostly sourced from Axial parts that looks as though it possibly arrived in the box that way. I believe i have succeeded with that goal. It flexes very well, has proper driveline angles, and should wheel nicely. (Snow in the forecast tonight, fingers crossed!). If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzle View Post
And that green rig is running the stock ripsaw tires that came on my ridgecrest. They are quite good in the powder as well!
The Ripsaws are a very well designed tire and seem to be really good all around tires, probably in the top 5 for scale-ish performance. Since they aren't a real 1:1 tires and the kits/RTR's come with them they really don't get the attention they deserve, because we all know if it's standard equip. on an RTR it must be junk (sarcasm, hehe).

Quote:

Well, my goal was to end up with something mostly sourced from Axial parts that looks as though it possibly arrived in the box that way. I believe i have succeeded with that goal. It flexes very well, has proper driveline angles, and should wheel nicely. (Snow in the forecast tonight, fingers crossed!). If you have any questions feel free to ask!
I think it's looking pretty dang good so far. Try and get some pics snapped of the snow wheeling. I want to see this thing ripping through the powder.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #13

I was thinking of maybe sacrificing a goat to appease the snow gods, the weather man assured me that that wouldnt be necessary

Last edited by Wizzle; 02-16-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: oops
Old 02-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #14

Nice build.
tigerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

Just thought i would post a flex pic. Still waiting for that snowstorm....

Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #16

Didnt get the heap of powder i was hoping for, but some wheeling was in order nonetheless.

It also seems to do pretty well on the rocks, though the current shocks dont allow for much droop. It is very stable and since my rim/tire combo is very light.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #17

Oh how i love the smell of burned up brushes... i think i know what my next upgrade will be. Can the ae-2 esc support brushless? I assume it cannot.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh how i love the smell of burned up brushes... i think i know what my next upgrade will be. Can the ae-2 esc support brushless? I assume it cannot.
Burned up brushes? Do you have a smaller pinion on hand? Might need to gear down for those 2.2 Pits. What pinion/spur are you currently running with the 35T?

Edit: AE-2 is brushed only.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #19

Yeah i suspect i need to regear, i went for wheel speed at first when i put it together but the 35 may not like that much. Im running a 25 or 26 tooth pinion and a larger spur. 90t i think. Im gonna have to either get a brushless and regear or accept slightly slower wheel speeds. I have also had this motor for several full charge deep powder runs with my 5000mah lipo and likely over gearing. Im not precisely sure what to go after next
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

A burning motor is a sure fire sign that you're geared too high (and possibly past the point of gaining wheelspeed). A graph of wheelspeed vs. gearing has a peak. Gearing too high and you being to actually loose wheel speed most noticeable in high load situations because the motor can only produce so much power. You might loose some straight line/flat ground top speed by gearing down, but for plowing through snow, hill climbing etc. you should gain quite a bit more pep by optimally gearing your rig. It takes a bit of trial and error, but I'd say your are definitely geared to high for those big heavy tires. I think most people even with common sized 1.9 tires are running smaller than a 20 tooth with a 35T motor. The 90 tooth spur vs stock 87 is about equall to dropping 1 pinion tooth. I'd give something in the 18-20 tooth range a shot and still expect the possibility of needing to go smaller. Your rig will be more lively, and your motor will be a much happier camper. You should pick up a little run time as well.

the "Blizzard" build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jkabee's "total noob" TJ build "this should be fun!" jkabee Axial SCX-10 128 03-24-2013 12:10 PM
My "Frogger" build "Litoria xanthomera" DRV KRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 61 10-04-2011 09:09 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM