Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Travis's Rubicon kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Default Travis's Rubicon kit

I'm pretty new here. I just got a new Rubicon kit.

Tekin RS with a Tekin ROC 3100kv motor on 2s
Hitec 5646wp servo
Vanquish shock hoops
Jevne Racing battery plate
Rc4wd Bloggers on axial black bead lock wheels
****'s 32 pitch pinion and spur.

Other upgrades as needed. Here are some pics

The body was a pain to paint and decal. Still have to trim windshield for a better fit so it isn't on yet. It's a metallic blue with black interior.

travis4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Travis's Rubicon kit

Looks sweet! Nice job!
monsterbeetleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I love that blue. I'm in the middle of turning my Dingo into a JK...I have the body cut, all the holes drilled (except for tail lights) then it's being torn down for interior masking...boy I'm really not looking forward to this evening. How long did it take you to mask the interior and was there any bleeding? I think I'm using the same exact green 1" tape.

Also, is your body fatter at the rear? Mine buldges a bit and is most moticeable by how un-parallel it runs down the sliders.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

How do you like the servo
Wraith913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

05Fronty4x,
I love the blue also, was going to go green but I didn't want it to be like a lot of others I've seen. The interior was a pain to tape off. Take your time and have a small straight blade screwdriver and a hobby knife. I didn't have any bleed through that I can tell. What colors are you planning on painting?

Wraith913,
haven't got a chance to drive it yet, but the servo came highly recommended from some local crawlers. Once I drive it I will post.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Truck looks nice. Good job.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #7

Thank you
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

Very nice, I cheated and did it all black, looks good, but looks like crap with the shell on. Thinking about ordering another body trying again, lol. And I agree, I hated doing the body.

EDIT: What brand/color paint did you use? I normally don't like blue, but that looks good.
dglewis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis4380 View Post
05Fronty4x,
I love the blue also, was going to go green but I didn't want it to be like a lot of others I've seen. The interior was a pain to tape off. Take your time and have a small straight blade screwdriver and a hobby knife. I didn't have any bleed through that I can tell. What colors are you planning on painting?
So you actually layed the tape beyond your line and cut the line with an xacto? I like that idea, though the body sure seems thin and fragile. I hope not to score too deep into it. I was going to try and lay it in there all perfect and seat it with a screwdriver , but I can just see myself contantly having to pull it back to the point that it looses it's stickiness and causes bleeding.

I'm doing orange/black. I wanted a slightly darker (reddish) orange than Pactra's orange, but oh well. I'm too lazy to dig up the airbrush and mix paint so regular Competition Orange it is. I finished up the tail lights and got the windshield finished. I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm tonight to mask the interior so it'll have to wait for tomorrow. I feel like I'm so close, but once the paint is done the fun has just begun (decals). There shall be many-a 4-letter word flyin about.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post

I'm doing orange/black. I wanted a slightly darker (reddish) orange than Pactra's orange, but oh well. I'm too lazy to dig up the airbrush and mix paint so regular Competition Orange it is. I finished up the tail lights and got the windshield finished. I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm tonight to mask the interior so it'll have to wait for tomorrow.
Competition orange backed with black will work well. The lighter your backing color, the lighter and brighter the orange.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

You can use fine line tape on the edges and regular masking tape over the rest. It is flexible, and can be easily formed. It's a vinyl tape kind of like electrical tape, but doesn't leave residue when removed. 3M makes the best stuff. You can get it at most auto body supply stores.
project_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Twin Turbo!!!! cool.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_mayhem View Post
You can use fine line tape on the edges and regular masking tape over the rest. It is flexible, and can be easily formed. It's a vinyl tape kind of like electrical tape, but doesn't leave residue when removed. 3M makes the best stuff. You can get it at most auto body supply stores.
I thought about some thinner tape, but the issue I'm having is that the line along the sides of the interior is in a corner and down in a small gap. I pretty much either have to get lucky and place it just right, or I'll have to do some careful xacto work, or just paint the whole damn thing orange, lol.

I wish the masking fairy would visit me. I should have stuck the JK under my pillow last night. I bet that's what Travis did, .
Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Why not paint the outside of the interior? I'm fortunate in that the inside of my lexan is black, the same color I want the interior. My body is painted black inside and red etc outside. Much easier to mask the outside of yhe interior off.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #15

I used regular automotive tape. It was hard but was able to get the tape down there and used the xacto knife to help place it where I needed it and trim some. Just don't press real hard because you will cut the body and it will break.

I did the inside because coming from the racing world thats all I know.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Why not use liquid making tape? I used that on my wraith EB body and it works great.
ElBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBandito View Post
Why not use liquid making tape? I used that on my wraith EB body and it works great.
I forgot about liquid mask, that would make it easier.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #18

finally doing some more updates to my Jeep. Added wraith axles, rc4wd boggers (cut), and axial beadlock wheels a while back. Just put an order in for some Gear Head RC 1.9 Trail King EZ-Loc Wheels and Vanquish stage one kit in blue for the wraith axles. Going for more of a mud racer look. like my dads 1:1.

Travis's Rubicon kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx-10 kit Dingo or Rubicon fivel_976 General Crawlers 12 03-12-2013 04:08 PM
Rubicon Kit D: $1079 value? Let's compare! Dailyroost Axial SCX-10 18 02-28-2013 08:32 PM
dingo/cherokee or rubicon kit? mrcrzrs Axial SCX-10 12 02-08-2013 01:47 PM
Rubicon kit im gunna crawl Axial SCX-10 4 01-17-2013 11:05 AM