Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hawaiian 4runner build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hawaiian 4runner build!

Howzit guys.

Still new to crawling but on my 2nd build already. Decided I want to build a 4runner on the SCX10 platform.

I'm far from finished but here's a teaser for you guys of where its at now.

Stay tuned if you'd like to see how it got to this point, how much further it may go, parts I used/use, placed it will crawl, etc etc...
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hawaiian 4runner build!

I started this off by buying a T-runner body set directly from RC4WD. I've heard a lot of mix reviews about this body but had to give it a try because I just love 4runners!

Next I needed a Scx10. I picked up a used one from the classified section. It was a RTR Honcho that was pretty much bone stock except for an Axial metal link set, a Tekin FXR, and a Holmes hand wound 35T Torquemaster. It had very little time on it and was in excellent condition. First thing I did was strip it down and configure it how I like(nice and clean with the battery up front and down low). Also redid all the soldering and wires as they were nastty looking at best. Next I cut the body out and got a glimpse of what's to come! As soon as I saw this I knew I made a good choice and was fired up!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Lol, I though I was going to scroll down and see it all decked out and popping wheelies with the pro4 in it.

Gotta love them 'yotas.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Lol, I though I was going to scroll down and see it all decked out and popping wheelies with the pro4 in it.

Gotta love them 'yotas.
Lol. Idk what I'm going to do with that pro4 yet? It's not going in this one though!

Next up was paint. I was going for gun metal

First a light coat of pearl

Next a couple solid coats of black

Next some window tint!

Paint done and peeled the protective plastic. Came out pretty good I thought.

Last edited by cox308; 05-06-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Slapped on the decals set along with some Toyota decals I had left from my last build. Also installed the front grill/bumper assembly. I didn't like the rear bumper that came with the kit. It was just to bulky and ugly IMO. I trimmed the rear of the body a little higher in anticipation of putting on a RC4WD steel bumper. The stock Honcho wheel base was pretty damn close.

The Tacoma sticker will be replaced with a Surf sticker when I can find one!

In badly need of rear bumper!

I knew I need some "real" bumpers to protect this body but wasn't sure which ones so I literally drove it to my LHS (1 block away!) to fit some bumpers to it. The paint was still drying! Lol

Ended up buying tube style bumpers for the front and rear. The rear also had a spare tire mount which was perfect since a spare is always good to have! I choose the tube style from to be more like a bull bar to complement the 4runner factory bumper.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thought about doing this but like NAH! Lol

Once I had the new bumpers mounted to the chassis I ran into another problem. With both bumper extended all the way out the body fit perfectly in between. The problem was now the body had to sit further forward and it had to go up a little. The body mounts were already at their highest position and the holes were already drilled in the body.

To solve this I either had to some now move the body forward or fab up an extension for the rear bumper and bring in the front bumper. I decided to just move the body and here's how I did it.

I basically just used extra body mount and some spacers to move he body forward and up. This also stiffened up the body mounts as they were pretty flexy before. I also stiffened up both front and rear shock hoops using links from an Axial link set I wasn't using.

Moving the body solved a couple problems but also created one! Now my wheel base was all jacked up!

I wasn't to worried about this as I was already planning on making my own customs stainless links. I used some tape and and marked where I wanted the wheel base to be.

Next you guessed it...custom links!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ok. Now that the body, bumpers, and wheel base is squared away time for some more pic's

I really am happy with the way the front bull bar came out!

A few flex shots!

Rear bumper/tire carrier came out perfect it think! It's a bit narrower than the body but I think that will make it get hung up a lot less.

Few more rear end pics!

That's all for now. I hope you guys are enjoying this build. Please lmk!

And hit the like button if you want more!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Pretty sick boss. Is it going to be your G6 rig for next year?
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Looks good. It would look even better if you dropped the body another half inch or so, cut the stock front bumper portion of the body, then lined the aftermarket bumper up.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Nice job, it looks good. Where is that LHS, I searched all over Oahu for a hobby store while on vacation. I even took a helo ride, saw some people flying RC air planes near the North side from the air.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Pretty sick boss. Is it going to be your G6 rig for next year?
Howzit Brian. Not sure yet. Thats far away! lol. Maybe Tough Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Looks good. It would look even better if you dropped the body another half inch or so, cut the stock front bumper portion of the body, then lined the aftermarket bumper up.
Thanks Fronty. I agree and I'm considering notching the front bumper to lower to body a bit more. I'm planning on running either Irok's or Pitbulls so I don't want to lower it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Nice job, it looks good. Where is that LHS, I searched all over Oahu for a hobby store while on vacation. I even took a helo ride, saw some people flying RC air planes near the North side from the air.
Hobbietat on 10th Ave. Kaimuki

Last edited by cox308; 05-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Thank you for the reply to my question.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Cool.

I've heard that RC4WD bodies are brittle, and crack. If (when) you crash, will you report the damages to the body?
téosrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #14

dont take it downtown!
reminds me of a story when i was there..
i was going to eat on Kalakaua, by the Ferrari store..
they had one of their RC cars outside, showing it off on the sidewalk, driving around
some a-hole kicked the *&^% out of it, went flying.
jh523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
Thank you for the reply to my question.
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by téosrc View Post
Cool.

I've heard that RC4WD bodies are brittle, and crack. If (when) you crash, will you report the damages to the body?
Sure.

Update: I sold this body to a friend before I ever ran it. He cracked it pretty bad just messing around in his driveway. I'd say the body is very brittle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh523 View Post
dont take it downtown!
reminds me of a story when i was there..
i was going to eat on Kalakaua, by the Ferrari store..
they had one of their RC cars outside, showing it off on the sidewalk, driving around
some a-hole kicked the *&^% out of it, went flying.
If someone kicked my car thats a guarantee scrap!

Got to work on the drive train with some RR gears. Also replace the older style aluminum outdrives with some spare hardened Axial outdrives.
Picked up some 32p gears too. 11t/56t

Also had an extra MIP drive shaft so I only needed to order 1 more! Also pictured is some extra Axial diff gears and through style drive pins. This rig has the older style with out the through hole for the pins so I will replace them with these for now.

Due to my shortened rear link the rear MIP was just a tad too long. I cut both male and female sides about 5mm

This shortened the rear MIP about 5mm or so total.

Installed the 32 pitch gears, ditched the dust cover, and also swapped the Holmes 35T TourqueMaster/ Tekin FXR combo for a Holmes 16T Crawlmaster/BR-XL combo.

Picture of the layout. I made the ESC mount by bending a piece of aluminum.

Only reason I did the motor/esc swap is because I had the other combo from a previous build and my friend wants to buy the TM/FXR combo from me. Both of these combos drive nearly identical IMO with the CM having a slight edge in low speed start-up and the TM having a slight edge in torque.

UPDATE: Sad to say that this wiil be the end of this thread because I ended up parting this rig out to fund a Wraith build.

Last edited by cox308; 10-14-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Tags
4runner, axial scx10, honcho, rc4wd, t-runner

Hawaiian 4runner build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hawaiian Honcho build! cox308 Axial SCX-10 149 04-17-2014 08:58 AM
4Runner Build Redwood 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 06-13-2011 04:36 PM
4Runner build nodnarb81 Axial SCX-10 13 06-07-2010 11:27 AM
One Nada Local boy. Hawaiian Hawaiian kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 12 12-17-2006 08:04 PM