Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hawaiian Honcho build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hawaiian Honcho build! (NEED HELP)

Howzit,

First post here. Thought I'd start a build thread to maybe help out others who need ideas on what to do with their Honcho's

Big thanks to this Forum and all the contributing member that make it so informative. A bunch of the stuff I did here is from the sticky's. Thank you if you posted the tip/trick that i'm using. This is my first RC since my RC10GT days of many many years ago so bare with me as I am sort of a newb at this all over again. Here we go....

I was planning on buying a Losi MRC and Thank god the guy at my local Hobby store convinced me otherwise. I ended up taking home the Honcho instead! Also took home a Ready 7.4v lipo battery 25c 3400mah. I went lipo since I already had a nice lipo charger from my airsoft equipment.

After my first drive the first thing I noticed is that it like to flip over pretty easy. This is partially due to my lack of crawling skills but none the less i got to work. First thing I wanted to do is lower the COG and increase FLEX!

Here's a list of upgrades, adjustments, etc that I did that night to basically get squared away. ZERO $ SPENT!

1. Removed bump stops on the shocks
2. Cut bump stops to about 1/8" and put over body mounts to eliminate body slop.
3. flipped the motor/trans 180" (not sure if this ready did much but I've read it can help with "torque twist"
4. Shaved rock sliders, flipped them upside-down, and adjusted to follow body lines.
5. topped off all shock with 30wt. oil. (I noticed 2 of my shocks were "dead" out of the box)
6. Spaced out front bumper 1 notch to better clear the tires
7. Relocate, Electric box, ESC, and Battery.(I will better explain this a little further down in picture description)
8. Ditched the spare tire. (looks cool but too top heavy for me)

After all that I still wanted a little more so back to my local hobby store for a little more. My goal this time was to put some weights in the wheels and buy metal steering linkages. $200+ later here's a list of what I ended up leaving with...

1. Rc4WD Blk Steelies 6 lug beadlock's P/N Z-w0130
2. Rc4WD 1.9" Hex hub adapters P/N Z-s0779
3. Proline Flat Irons 1.9" G8 w/ memory foam P/N 1147-14
4. Axial scx10 link set P/N AX30550
5. Stick on wheel lead
6. Dean Plug's

I ended up going with new rims and tires since I learned that cutting off my tires and re-gluing them is not really an ideal way to put lead in your rims. I got the hex adapters to keep the stance wide and also because I like the convenience of them. I chose the Flat irons because I like them, that's what I run on my 1:1. I went with the full link set instead of just the steering because I figured I want full set eventually and I did't want to end up with and extra set of steering links if I were to by that now then the full set down the road. Finally I went with the Deans because it's the best connectors hands down. I spent a hell of a lot more than I was anticipating but I figured buy once cry once.

Ok...on to some pictures!

Not much going on in the first 2 pics. You can see the new wheels/tires and you can also see my body pin storage on the roll cage (tip from stick's)

Next 2 pics are top and bottom pics with body removed. You can see my layout here and also the metal links! Sexy!

In these next 3 pics you can see how my battery is mounted. (Another tip from the sticky's) Simply cable tied the velcro straps to the shock hoops and used a piece of foam from the packaging of rims I just bought. It looked a bit ugly at first but it turned out pretty clean looking in the end. I'd still like to clean up the wires a bit.

In this pic you can see the tray I made to mount the electric box. It is made out of some clear packaging from the battery I just bought. It is a temporary mock up and will be replaced with the aluminum battery tray once I cut, drill and bend it to the same shape. The plastic one works so good it might just stay there a while! you can also see that the front shocks were turned 180 to make room for the battery.

After all these mods it crawls so much better! literally night and day. I think the weight in the wheels have most to do with that. I added 3.5oz in each wheel/tire.

I will update this thread with what ever else I do to this build...More to follow...

ALoha...

Last edited by cox308; 03-23-2013 at 08:48 PM.
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hawaiian Honcho build!

This next tip/trick made a pretty big improvement on the flex up front. I noticed that when I push down on the front the steering linkage that goes from the servo horn to the knuckle hits the frame and also the screw that connects the rod end to the servo horn was hitting and sometimes getting caught on the forward cross member. Here's what I did to fix it.

The Axial metal linkage kit comes with a lot of extra parts. so I swithed the rod end on the servo horn from a straight end to a bent end. Also I cut the ball end to be a bit more low pro(just used a utility knife and carefully sliced it).

On the left is the straight end with uncut ball end. Right side is the bent end and the cut/low pro ball.

This simple mod gave a least 1/8" more travel and eliminated the screw hitting the cross member problem I had. You will also need to adjust the horn on the servo as the bent end is longer.

I am pretty happy with the FLEX I'm getting now.

A metal servo horn will be ordered.

Last edited by cox308; 03-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Took a 20 min drive and found a perfect place to crawl. Less than 10 mins in and my stock steering horn strips! ended that session since I had no spares or tool on hand...

Back to the shop for a metal steering horn... ended up leaving with a new much stronger servo! Rc4WD Twister High Performance Waterproof Servo. P/N Z-E0032. This one has almost double the torque of the stock servo. Stocker = 132 oz. New servo 250+ oz! They were out of the Futaba Metal horns. will be back next week to pick one up. I'll use the HD plastic one that comes with the servo for now.

Also pictured is the front 4 link piece that I just realized it came with the truck! I will convert the front 3 link into a 4 link since I have all the pieces. Another project!

Last edited by cox308; 03-11-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #4

Which hobby shop did you go to.
waiheebraddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiheebraddah View Post
Which hobby shop did you go to.
Hobbietat. On 10th Ave.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

That's dakine, brudda! Nice crawl spot!
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

3/10/13 update.

Got some time to work on the Hawn Honch!

First I mounted the new servo!

Also had some time to fab my electronic mounting tray.

I just took my unused aluminum battery tray and cut, drilled, and bent it into the same shape as my mocked up plastic tray.

Here's the tray and the servo mounted. Came out pretty nice!

My only complaint is that the new servo is noticeably louder than the stocker. From what I've read this is perfectly normal for a digital servo. I haven't had time to crawl it yet but expecting a great improvement in steering!

Last edited by cox308; 03-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Generally I'd advise against rc3wd electronics, but you've already bought it. Good luck. Also, your spare clips on the tube bed is a great place for them to get hung up, I'd move them to the body posts under the cab.

Other than that, great start.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Generally I'd advise against rc3wd electronics, but you've already bought it. Good luck. Also, your spare clips on the tube bed is a great place for them to get hung up, I'd move them to the body posts under the cab.

Other than that, great start.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for future electronic purchases. Yeah the clips on the roll bars are actually the ones I use. Not spares. I just stow them there when the body comes off. Speaking of spares...I'd better buy some!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run her today!

Last edited by cox308; 03-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox308 View Post
Yeah the clips on the boll bars are actually the ones I use. Not spares. I just stow them there when the body comes off.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run her today!
Ah, gotcha.

Should be nice & muddy. Have fun.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

^^^ I'm not ready to take this one in the mud yet...lol...so I headed for the rocks!

If any one want to go for a crawl session here just LMK. This place is soooo perfect for scalers!

Like to add that The servo worked great so far. Much better turning power! Also the noise complain I made earlier about I'd like to retract. Its pretty loud when your crawling around the house at 2am trying not to wake your girlfriend...but once it's outside I didnt notice it at all

Last edited by cox308; 03-11-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Got the 4 link installed using the bracket that came with the spare parts. It is much more solid in the side to side direction and it damn near eliminated the slop in the axle wrap. The ball end on the factory Y bracket had developed a lot of slop even though this honcho is less than a week old. It would have likely pulled through eventually. Especially with the upgrades that will be soon coming in the mail...

I was hesitant about the servo plate only having 2 screws with this setup instead of 3 , but after getting it mounted I'd say that the servo is still extremely rock solid and I'm not worried about it at all.

Last edited by cox308; 03-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ok I like all tge adjust mods for battery relocate electronucs on top our of harms way great pics can't wait to finish mine as well grsat job !!!
crawlingfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you went to Lanai Lookout. Great spot. You don't have to worry about the servo plate, that's how the wraith is.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I too, have just come from airsoft, so, I bought myself a dingo kit and waiting for it to come in. Overall looks like it is going to be an interesting build. I will have keep my eye on this one.
Pgambardella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingfolife View Post
Ok I like all tge adjust mods for battery relocate electronucs on top our of harms way great pics can't wait to finish mine as well grsat job !!!
^^^Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Looks like you went to Lanai Lookout. Great spot. You don't have to worry about the servo plate, that's how the wraith is.
Yes! That spot was just a bit to the right. I parked at the archery range and just crossed the street and hopped the guard rail. After crawling here I didn't think I could find a better place but I think I did today! See pics below!

This spot is right across the street from the Makapu'u point lookout. Really fun spot!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Rite on cox308!! Looks like a good start. There's actually a pretty big group of guys on oahu that crawl at these spots. Good fun!! Btw you a 2a member?
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #18

Your playground is epic
slitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Rite on cox308!! Looks like a good start. There's actually a pretty big group of guys on oahu that crawl at these spots. Good fun!! Btw you a 2a member?
Howzit! Yeah thats me. Same screen name. Hit me up some time. I like tag along and go crawl wit u guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitcher View Post
Your playground is epic
Yeah it is. I wish the pictures could do it justice! I'm going to get a go pro and try and make some vids in the future.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thought so!! Haha...shoots
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawaiian Honcho build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Nada Local boy. Hawaiian Hawaiian kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 12 12-17-2006 08:04 PM