Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Can't decide between Rubicon RTR or Kit...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Can't decide between Rubicon RTR or Kit...

I have a Futaba 4PL on the way, and I'm looking to pick up an SCX10. I had a RTR Dingo a few years ago... I can get the Rubicon kit, FXR/35T combo, for about $450 out-the-door, or get the Rubicon RTR for $100 less...

Are the Icon shocks, FXR/35T combo, and metal suspension links worth the $100 difference? Will my wife see it that way? Or, should I spend the $100 on a winch, beadlocks, other upgrades, etc?

Also, what pinion comes with the kit and RTR versions? I wouldn't mind having a 12t, 16t, and 20t on hand...

Thanks in advance,
ScalerFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Can't decide between Rubicon RTR or Kit...

i recommend you get the kit instead of the rtr..u can find some on here used with hop ups already..just try not to let them rip u off to bad lol....i like the kit better then the rtr..rtr is good dont get me wrong but i rather put the extra money towards aftermarket upgrades...i recommend wp brxl with hh35t sport or expert motor.first upgrades i would do is chub and knuckles along with a good servo...recommend a cc bec as well...tekin is a good esc as well..cant go wrong with which ever direction u choose...i run a brxl with a custom hh 35t...hitec 7950 with bec...all on 3s...best setup possible to me...highly suggest kit over rtr..dont quote me on this but i believe the kit comes with aluminum upper and lower links...i think not sure lol...any questions just let me know...

Last edited by bustamantealdo; 05-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.
bustamantealdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Can't decide between Rubicon RTR or Kit...

kit! there's nothing else to say.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

I just went with the rtr for my Father's Day gift. Mostly due to the kit not having the full aluminum link set. I bought those separately, plus I get the immediate satisfaction of playing with my new toy. I also prefer to reverse engineer RC's to learn the ins & outs of the vehicle.

B
Be.jammmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.jammmin View Post
I just went with the rtr for my Father's Day gift. Mostly due to the kit not having the full aluminum link set. I bought those separately, plus I get the immediate satisfaction of playing with my new toy. I also prefer to reverse engineer RC's to learn the ins & outs of the vehicle.

B
tighten all your screws. Axial is notorious for rtr screws backing out... it's best to replace them with M3 machine screws.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It is relatively easy to decide.

1. Calculate $$ you are going to spend for what you want to do (electronics, body, suspension, wheels etc).
2. Compare your calculations based on RTR or kit you start with.
3. Profit)
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I plumped for two rtr's just before xmas as they where my sons xmas pressies, but would have got the kits then if they where out.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

I didn't read your full post. The stock esc and motor aren't to bad based on what I have read but plan on replacing soon with a waterproof Holmes Esc, but at least I get immediate gratification with the rtr. Also the Icon shocks are the same as stock except the pretty bodies and coated shafts. You also need to buy a servo with the kit. I am sure either decision will be a good one you just need to evaluate what you consider "value"

B
Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
tighten all your screws. Axial is notorious for rtr screws backing out... it's best to replace them with M3 machine screws.
Thanks Johnny. I also ordered an RC Srewz kit so I will make sure to tweak where necessary

B
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
replacing a self tap screw with a machine screw is a terrible idea, then you have 2 different types of threads in a piece of plastic,

the best way is to get the kit and build from start with m3 machine screws,,
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
replacing a self tap screw with a machine screw is a terrible idea, then you have 2 different types of threads in a piece of plastic,
Nonsense, it's a brilliant idea!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Nonsense, it's a brilliant idea!
I agree with Johnny. I have had RC's back to the original Emaxx in 99. Replacing self tap with machine screws is always a fantastic idea. Especially when moving to hex head screws.

B
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I've replaced the self tapping screws on a couple of rtrs and they will stay put for a while unlike the factory screws that want to fall out. On my silver rtr honcho I bought when they first came out it was even missing a ball joint /king pin screw. Didn't find it in the box? It didn't matter I had screws any ways. I always swap out self tapper screws for machine screws on my trucks!
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

Kit version forsure!
AvriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I've purchased both rtr and kits. For the $50.00 +or- in price I go with the rtr now and here's why. You get radio gear, esc, lights, and a motor. Try to buy that for $50.00. You can upgrade over time and in doing that, learn the ins and outs of the truck. Enjoy it for a while and then decide on the upgrades you want to make. I must admit however that I've become a little lazy in my 66 years. I've been running rc since 1970.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have been looking at the difference between the rtr and kits from axial. The rtr is a better deal because the kits are not cheap enough and do not have enough upgraded parts

Sent from my PG86100 with Tapatalk 2
I <3 Tekin
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

the kits used to come with upgrades...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Odd reading this because back and forth on RTR has upgrades and Kit doesnt?

I bought the kit for two reasons. Kit had Upgrades alum shocks and links and steering RTR did not. The kit was only 50$ cheaper, but again it contained all the upgraded parts + the orginal RTR parts.

Unless they have changed the RTR in the last month or so I have never seen a RTR have the aluminum upgrades. I have 2 friends that bought RTR's about a month before I bought the kit and they did not have any of the upgrades in the RTR. All links where plastic along with shocks etc.

They may have changed, I know my EXO buggy when I carnaged it, it was cheaper to by a kit than parts to fix it. My first EXO was a kit, had a few very few hop ups, but my second kit was loaded with option parts.

I think Axial works a down the line process with thier Vehicles, Basic RTR, then when the Kit comes out they usually add upgrades in the kit. Then the RTR's start coming out with the same upgrades holdng thier selling price while the kits really do'nt drop that much in price.

But it's really a mute point. What it comes down too is what are you going to do with your Truck? IF you want to pull it out of the box and just run around for play, nothing wrong with the RTR stuff, if you want to build a real machine for serious play kits the only way to go. Building it, gives you a better understanding of what you might want or need to do to make it run better IMPO.

I have bought 1 RTR in my life and it was when I was just getting into RC's after that 1 RTR withing a month was halk in the parts bin and everything changed I made my decision no more RTR's, well most likely no more RTR's im eyeing the Twin Hammers and so far I have only seen it in RTR format. But I really hoping the Poison Spider Wraith Kit comes out soon. I want it, but not in a RTR format.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Scale Detail Engineering

yeah, I thought the kits came with aluminum shocks and links... at least they used to.

The problem with the rtr's is by the time your really done (days, months, years!) there won't be hardly anything left of the rtr.

You already have a 4PL so you do not need the radio or rx.
The servo and motor are very low end.
The esc is ok for what it is.
The trans gears are junk.
The drive shafts won't last.
The links are weak.
Even the damn dog bone axles, chubs and knuckles will give you problems.

Personally, I have never bought a kit or rtr.
All my trucks started as used upgraded axles, upgraded trans and a chassis from the Classifieds section.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Good info...

I already have a metal gear, 200oz servo in my box, and the 4pl Tx/Rx will be here any day... I'll probably go with the kit...
ScalerFab is offline   Reply With Quote

Can't decide between Rubicon RTR or Kit... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubicon kit VS RTR - input appreciated fl0w3n Axial SCX-10 25 04-29-2013 02:16 PM
cant decide, kit or rtr, help make my desicion Cody318 Axial SCX-10 11 12-03-2012 01:19 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
1/6th NB Rubicon -- Lots of PICS -> help me decide what tires WRXronald Large Scale Rigs 14 04-05-2009 05:00 PM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM