Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Motor for my scx-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Default Motor for my scx-10

Alright so I bought the dingo kit, I ended up pulling all the electronics from my 2x4 pede as I wont be driving it anymore, at least for the time being now that I have the scaler. The pede is not much fun just driving by yourself. Anyways the motor I put in was a castle creations 3800kv paired with the sidewinder sv2. I've tried tuning everything however it's not too my liking. I find it cogs at low speed, it makes it really difficult to actually crawl over rocks or anything that you need to finesse. The esc has a fan and is not waterproof, so I guess mudding is out.

So my choices are that I currently own are: (please comment if the below choices will work better than the castle creations). Im running a 12T pinion and 87 Spur. The truck currently moves about jogging speed.

Firebolt 15T W. 15wp HPI ESC. Waterproof however Im worried it wont have enough torque, and even less than the castle motor?

Velineon 3500 paired with the sidewinder.

Like I said though I would love to use the HPI 15WP because than perhaps I can actually get it wet?

One more question, how can I clean the truck after I go mudding? Can I just rinse it off with water and try not to get the electronics wet. Than spray with wd40 on the axles and bearings without taking the wheels off each time?
trivium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Motor for my scx-10

I don't think you will ever be happy with the options you have listed, At least not for a trail truck. As far as cleaning, I hose mine off (it's waterproof) then I oil/grease everything that may rust. My axles have been torn down and greased multiple times and still I see signs of water, it's unavoidable if you plan to play in the mud and water. Be prepared to replace parts.
Silversamps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you're using the WD-40 as a rust preventive great, if you're using it as a bearing lubricator, stop. WD-40 is mostly solvent and not oil. I learned this the hard way.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

AXials website said wd-40 is fine to use though...what would you use?, white lithium grease it too thick no? I figure it would attract more grime in the bearings and axle.

On the motor the 15T firebolt would'nt work with the 12t pinion? theoretically it would have similiar torque and speed to a 35T with the stock 20t pinion (stock setup) wouldn't it?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

your having cogging issues because your using a sensor-less motor and esc there ok for fast stuff but like you`ve found out in slow stuff its not good and if you want brushless get a sensored esc and motor and you would be ok as theres basicly no cogging at any speed.

i would stay away from the hpi esc there not that good and it wouldnt take a 15t motor i have the etronix version of that esc and if you get the switch wet it just dies on you until you switch it off and back on again then it will work again and motor wise if you go brushed a 20t or 27t would be good for you i run a 27t in my scx10 with a 18t pinion and if its fast enough for when iam not crawling and slow enough for when iam

Last edited by boohoo; 06-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

None of the stuff you listed is suitable except for the sidewinder if you go brushed. Use too fast of a brushed motor (the 15t) and you will burn it up when in a bind. You could use the sidewinder with a ~35t motor. If you want brushless make sure it sensored. I run a dust/splash proof motor and esc in the snow without issue but if you want a submarine make sure you get a waterproof system.

Edit: and you will want to make sure you have a drag brake or it won't be nearly as enjoyable.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

i learned if u want power and speed get a 45-55t motor and overdrive the front and rear and play with spur and pinion thats what i did and its great
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskills View Post
i learned if u want power and speed get a 45-55t motor and overdrive the front and rear and play with spur and pinion thats what i did and its great
I wouldn't choose either of those winds if I was searching for speed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

a good 35t gives you good speed and torque, ditch the 15t useless in a scaler
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Try a 35t, its good mix for speed and crawling, great for trail trucks. I just put a 35t Tekin handwound brushed motor in my SCX10 and with a 2S it goes a bit faster than I can walk, great for trail rides. Still slow enough to crawl too.
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I ran a 35t motor with a sidewinder on my first scx10 and I loved it! Perfect mix of speed and torque!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #12

Alright so I ended up buying the Axial 55T motor, they didn't have anything else in stock. Great hobbies is terrible for stock but their people are very helpful. They also had the 35T tekin but it was $50. Ay any rate, I got a 22T pinion with the motor, which seems to be the biggest I can fit on the stock mount. However, it slowed down a lot...probably to a fast walk...which is probably fine as its not meant to go fast. Its fast enough for trails, good for crawling. Really though why do you need it faster than walking speed?? unless you want to jog next to it on a trail.

Is this motor any good though?, can I replace the brushes or is it all sealed? Also for break in, I ran it in water for 10 min (water turned grey). Ran in clean water for a few minutes, sprayed with WD40 inside a bit and ran for another 10 min. Is this fine for the break in?

One more note, im running it with the HPI 15WP ECS from my sprint 2 sport, which seems to be fine so far. Why do I need the sidewinder if the 15WP is water proof and works fine? Apparently it has a drag brake aswell. Plus it will get me chance to try the castle 3800 in the HPI sprint 2 Sport ;).

Last edited by trivium; 06-18-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Motor for my scx-10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New ESC + motor for my SCX Tuono_dk Electronics 5 01-21-2013 11:48 AM
scx 10 motor snohiker Electronics 4 01-07-2012 06:38 PM
SCX 10 with Tamiya motor ironman Axial SCX-10 17 07-21-2009 08:28 PM