Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #21

Default Re: new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon

I got the builders kit from tower I love it so far upgrades radio to a spectrum 3 channel but having problems
wit the Rx ekes seems like its losing signal I think I may have gotten a bad Rx
s.p.crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well i went with the 2.2 proline eight shooters cause i liked how they looked with the flat irons..i wont weight my wheels anymore cause its much more rotating mass to be turning and slowing down so i am going with weight on the axles themselves...chub weights or whatever i find that will work.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #23

I'm new to the RC scene and since I live in Arizona, personally rock crawl and off road a bit in my daily driver (Toyota FJ Cruiser), I decided to pick up the Axial AX90028 SCX10 '12 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD RTR. Picked up:

2 of the Venom 1555 LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 20C LIPO BATTERY TRX DEANS EC3 TAMIYA CONNECTER
1 Venom AC/DC Pro2 Charger LiIon/LiPo/LiFe/NiCd/NiMH 677 : E-REVO SAVAGE SLASH
and
Common Sense Paraboard - Parallel Charging Board for Lipos with EC3 Connectors

all of this totaling about $475 shipped. They tell me that should get me going and keep me going awhile. I hear a lot about waterproofing and stuff. What are the basics? What am I missing? Anyone know what kind of run time I should get out of these batteries under rock crawling conditions vs full out trail running conditions? My stuff got shipped out today so needless today I'm a panting dog at the end of a leash. Any opinions on the batteries and other stuff?

Thanks all
AZFJ/JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

my 5000 lipos i get about an hour to an hour and a half depending on conditions, I havent waterproofed anything so I cant give any advice on that lol
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well I did go ahead and install a 16t pinion on the 27T stock axial motor which brought the ratio from 4.35 to 5.4375. I will see how this does for trail running and moderate crawling..
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #26

I'm interested to hear how that 16t goes. I'm kind of dying right now because mine arrived today but I can't open it till tomorrow, my birthday. I already pulled out the invoice, no need to subject spouse to sticker shock. Bad for both our health.
adam watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

so far just around the room, its a bit better at crawling up my door edge, more torque and low end power, it has more grunt on low end(my hillbilly term)I also converted the ESC battery connector to a traxxas style and now am running a 2S 5000mAH Lipo onyx battery, noticable improvement over the stock 3000mAH NiMH Tamiya style connector onyx battery that came with it...
Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I have converted my rubicon to uses 2 batteries in a saddle configuration over the sliders, using 2 2s 5000mAH turnigy lipos.. weight distribution seems much better with this setup.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Looks awesome. If this weather ever quits here in indiana, id be interested to hear how it does.
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I live in valparaisio..nw indiana..i took all three of my rock/trail rigs out in the snow and they did awsome!

Couldnt beleive how well the flatirons and hammers did in the snow...climbing up all the snowpiles..the super swampers on my wraith did excellent as well....
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I plowed a lil with my jk here in lafayette with the rc4wd plow and rc4wd swampers. They pushed well and seemed to clean them selves out
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Well, I am not liking the 16t pinion with the 87t spur...I am not getting enough wheel speed for my liking. going to try out the stock setting of 20t Pinion and 87t spur. If I dont like that for wheel speed, I will try the 23t pinion which give a 3.87 ratio vs the stock 4.35 and the current 5.43 with the 16t.

while I could get more wheel speed by going to a 3s battery setup...I aint got tons a money to upgrade everything else at this time. My Holmes Hobby motor will be here within the week and I think it will handle the higher ratio with ease..
Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Well, I am not liking the 16t pinion with the 87t spur...I am not getting enough wheel speed for my liking. going to try out the stock setting of 20t Pinion and 87t spur. If I dont like that for wheel speed, I will try the 23t pinion which give a 3.87 ratio vs the stock 4.35 and the current 5.43 with the 16t.

while I could get more wheel speed by going to a 3s battery setup...I aint got tons a money to upgrade everything else at this time. My Holmes Hobby motor will be here within the week and I think it will handle the higher ratio with ease..
Don't give up on that 16T..you still have the stock motor in there..when you get the HH motor you will notice a lot more wheel speed despite the gear..I don't recommend a 23t at all as you may have serious heating issues with that...My custom 27T with a 16T on my honcho flat out leaves the rubicon with speed with the stock 27T stock motor and 20T pinion I had on my rubicon.. and has a lot more low speed control..don't write it off just yet..lol
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I like the 23t Pinion alot, nice wheel speed with the 3.87 ratio. does much better in the 3 inches of fresh snow we have right now.

The one thing I dont know is how much I will lose going from a 27t stock motor to the HH 30t TM Pro motor.

BUT I will try the 16t with the HH TM Pro when it gets here...
Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Don't give up on that 16T..you still have the stock motor in there..when you get the HH motor you will notice a lot more wheel speed despite the gear..I don't recommend a 23t at all as you may have serious heating issues with that...My custom 27T with a 16T on my honcho flat out leaves the rubicon with speed with the stock 27T stock motor and 20T pinion I had on my rubicon.. and has a lot more low speed control..don't write it off just yet..lol
lol well right now its 18 degrees out and its running very cool

but I understand what you are saying....I figured when summer is here it would get way too warm, but its Saturday night and I have the urge to tinker

I will let you know how it goes with the new HH motor when it gets here!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
lol well right now its 18 degrees out and its running very cool

but I understand what you are saying....I figured when summer is here it would get way too warm, but its Saturday night and I have the urge to tinker

I will let you know how it goes with the new HH motor when it gets here!
Youre really after a combination of enough wheel speed to help you up hills or over a tough obstacle and have good low speed control for slow movement...If youre just after speed you may not have chosen the right RC for what your after..lol

The 16T with the stock motor is a pretty good set up for the RTR in general..yes you lose speed but you still have the speed you need to climb to an extent and have much better low speed control...Maybe you need a 27T and a 3s to get what your after.

These trail trucks aren't supposed to be or designed to be speed demons..lol

Youll find what you want im sure.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

yup, I am trying to get wheel speed to the point where the tires will clean themselves out but not excessive wheel speed. I swapped out the 48p spur and pinion for 32p 56t spur and a 32p 14t pinion.

now its where I like it...4.00, just about in the middle of 3.85 and 4.35 stock.

Now the HH motor will be a nice fit in this setup. I really dont want to go 3s if I can get the geared how I like it on 2s.

my 1.9 wraith with the 3s brushless exo terra setup is perfect for quick bashing in the yard and woods. its geared at 3.17 with a 54t spur and a 17t pinion..it does really well in the snow lol
I will have to see how it does temp wise in the summer.

the wraith is currently running the 56t spur and 12t pinion for a 4.66 which seems good for it with the 27t HH TM sport.

I am undecided when it comes to the HH motors...I am debating whether or not to put the 30T HH TM Pro in the wraith and then put the HH TM sport in the scx10 or do I just put the 30T HH TM Pro in the scx10 and leave the wraith alone..
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
yup, I am trying to get wheel speed to the point where the tires will clean themselves out but not excessive wheel speed. I swapped out the 48p spur and pinion for 32p 56t spur and a 32p 14t pinion.

now its where I like it...4.00, just about in the middle of 3.85 and 4.35 stock.

Now the HH motor will be a nice fit in this setup. I really dont want to go 3s if I can get the geared how I like it on 2s.

my 1.9 wraith with the 3s brushless exo terra setup is perfect for quick bashing in the yard and woods. its geared at 3.17 with a 54t spur and a 17t pinion..it does really well in the snow lol
I will have to see how it does temp wise in the summer.

the wraith is currently running the 56t spur and 12t pinion for a 4.66 which seems good for it with the 27t HH TM sport.

I am undecided when it comes to the HH motors...I am debating whether or not to put the 30T HH TM Pro in the wraith and then put the HH TM sport in the scx10 or do I just put the 30T HH TM Pro in the scx10 and leave the wraith alone..
Id keep an eye on the temps anyways...just because its cold out don't mean they cant/wont get hot.

If I recall correctly most that use a 35T with a 3s to get close to 27T wheel speed end up with a 5 to 5.50 ratio for an all around performer.

I get enough speed with my set up to attempt some pretty difficult hills.
Don't always make it but who does..lol

keep us posted on how the 30T does with it...Not as much wheel speed as a 27T but should still be a great motor...can always put in a 27T armature for 20 bucks if its not enough for you in either rig.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFJ/JK View Post
2 of the Venom 1555 LiPo 2S 7.4V 5000mAh 20C LIPO BATTERY TRX DEANS EC3 TAMIYA CONNECTER
1 Venom AC/DC Pro2 Charger LiIon/LiPo/LiFe/NiCd/NiMH 677 : E-REVO SAVAGE SLASH
and
Common Sense Paraboard - Parallel Charging Board for Lipos with EC3 Connectors
Another EC3 user Those connectors hold tight!! Quick tip to unplug the connector without stressing the wires...use a pair of snap ring pliers to separate the male and female. However, that charger they sold you is waaay underpowered for one battery, let alone parallel charging a pair. Be ready for a long charge time wait.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I am noticing in some situations that the saddle placement of my batteries is not as beneficial as both of them in the stock location over the rear axle, trail running and moderate obstacles seem to benefit more from the stock battery location. Now larger obstacles and more rock crawling type of courses the saddle configuration seems to have a slight edge, but not enough for me to make a permanent saddle mount. The saddle mounts I made were temporary and used existing holes and hardware.

I will be testing this theory more in depth when the weather warms up, it could be due to other factors like the type and size of tire and such but it is an interesting developement.

I am seeing this in the snow we have here and the firewood stack with snow on it...the front seems to dig in early and bury itself with the batteies on the saddle mounts, whereas the stock location allows the front tires to "bob" up and down slightly and power right through. I am wondering if this would be the same reaction it would have in mud...

new to scx10-ordered a jeep rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ordered scx10 Rubicon kit, Questions travis4380 Axial SCX-10 0 02-22-2013 02:44 PM