Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scratch build 73 bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Scratch build 73 bronco

This build is close to being done at this point but im gonna do a small build thread on it anyway. I started with a piece of 1/2x1/2 inch square tubing. Bent it to a cardboard template i made to fit the body.
Then i drilled the holes for the skid, cross members and other mounting holes. After all the holes i could think of were drilled i cut the tube in half on a band saw.

Next i made a skid plate. I went with standard scx width so if i want to use scx bumpers they will be easy to bolt right on.

I wanted to go with a cms setup. Its my first attempt at this and i havent ever seen one in person so it could be interesting.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scratch build 73 bronco

I love those chassis.I've built 5 or 6 of them over the years....Great start. Keep it coming.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

looks great man. cant wait to c the other goodies u have saved for this thing!
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Tranny all bolted up for now. Im not sure if it will stay here or not.

Im working on a micro scaler and i wanted to build a transfer case for it. I figured i would try to build a 1:10 scale one first as it should be a little easier then a 1:24 one. So here it is

I used 3 pinions and 3 titanium shafts all 3 pinions were 32p 13 tooth so the gear ratio will be 1:1. the shafts sit in some bearings that are pressed into the case.

I got the tranny bolted up front and the transfer case bolted on the skid. Seems like it will work just fine
Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very nice. Can't wait to see the finished product! !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well you wont have to wait long lol. I should have it mostly done by the end of the week. Its taken a few months to build but i never had time to do a build thread as it was being done. More updates and pics later today
Old 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I want make this rig to look as scale as i can so its getting leafs in the back. I had planned on doing the front radius arms as well. After i read up on that it seemed like it would really limit the flex more then i wanted. I went with something a little different.

The leafs may be a little stiff but im gonna try them with the extra weight of the battery and everything else that will be on the rig. I do have some delrin leafs to try if these are to stiff.

So theres my idea for the front links. I plan on having small brackets welded on to the lower links to hold the uppers to look more scale. But for now they are just threaded into them for testing. It seems pretty smooth with decent flex. I also made up and mounted the front shock mounts and put some stock scx shocks in there for mock up. Without the small spring in there the chassis sits nice and level.

Last edited by Jcplante; 03-02-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok here are a few pics of the upper link mount and pan hard mounts. I think the pan hard bar needs a bend to clear the center of the axle. It hits and limits flex a little. Not much as its at the end of the cycle but im trying to get all i can out of it while still looking like a street legal truck.

There are a lot of firsts for me on this rig. First time running leaf springs, first time trying a cms set up and the first time building or running a front motor and transfer case. Its going pretty well considering i think. Oh and the first time attempting to do a decent job painting a lexan body.

Its not perfect but i think it will look ok once i put some decals and do a little touch up work.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Did you build the cms and panhard setup?

BuIlT nOt BaUgHT!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I think im gonna go with some treps i got in a trade. I like the hight of them. I also have some rock crushers on axial 8 hole bead locks i could use but i think they look a little small.
Treps

Rock crushers

The body has no mounts yet so its just sitting there for the pic. I kinda like the way the rock crushers look, but the wheel base is kind of long for tires that small. I dont want to hang up on everything on the trail. The treps are 1/2 inch taller. Also i dont have a spare rock crusher or rim for the tire carrier.

I got a decased sidewinder from a member on here and figured i would use it in this rig. I put it inside a traxxas revo rx box and its good to go.
Electronics all put in for a test drive.

Everything fits up front besides the lipo.

It runs real smooth and quiet. No loud gears anywhere. Im happy with it. The cms seems to steer just as well as axle mounted servo as far as i can tell indoors. Over all it all seems to work pretty well. The leafs are a little stiff still but its gonna get heavier. I still have custom metal sliders and a front bumper that will add some weight and im planning on a full interior and a roof rack with a few scale things on it.
Flex shot

This is where its at to date. Up this week will be body mounts and some tweaks and adjustments. I have to start looking for an interior that will fit nice and look right
Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Very nice build. How do you plan on mounting the body? I also have a Bronco body and am trying to figure out what to do. Once you do get yours finished, please share pics of your mounts. Thanks in advance!

***** Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk *****
kuyawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Looking great. Love Broncos.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

first off this build is freaking awesome! broncos are badass, but how do u bend the tubing like that?
newbie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just put it in a vice and put a pipe on the end and put pressure till it was where i wanted it. If it kinked i just put the kink right in the vice and crushed it back flat
Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyawil View Post
Very nice build. How do you plan on mounting the body? I also have a Bronco body and am trying to figure out what to do. Once you do get yours finished, please share pics of your mounts. Thanks in advance!

Im making the body mounts tonight so i will have pics up soon. Im gonna use some all weather velcro type stuff for attaching the body. I dont want to have any holes in it.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

sweet build my brother of another mother keep it up,
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Ok heres some pics of the body mounts

The velcro i used was actually to strong. It doesnt release easily at all and it even pulled some paint off the hood :( . For a hard body i think it would be great but its to strong for lexan. I cut down the size piece im using and it helped out quite a bit. Here is the stuff i used

They are not kidding when they say it holds strong. Here it is all mounted

The rear mounts may not stay there because the interior might get in the way but i will figure something out
Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the photos, jcplante! This helps me tremendously.

kuyawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyawil View Post
Thanks for the photos, jcplante! This helps me tremendously.

Glad i can help
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I just got some pics of the sliders and front bumper i had Rockrigcustoms make for me. They should look great on here when they are finished

Last edited by Jcplante; 03-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Scratch build 73 bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone up for a unique scratch build? KJ10 Paint and Body 5 08-20-2013 11:22 PM
Scx10 scratch build noobiescaler35 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 05-22-2013 01:37 AM
Jeep XJ - Scratch Build ScalerLover Micro Scale Rigs 17 12-14-2011 09:09 AM
Scratch Built Tube Chassis Bronco tyerfryersc 2.2 Scale Rigs 25 07-26-2010 06:53 PM
starting a build from scratch fstrnu Newbie General 2 11-27-2009 10:28 AM