Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ToyZuki's Fabrication low center of gravity motor mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default ToyZuki's Fabrication low center of gravity motor mount

This kit is designed to be used with a 3link/panhard set up and will not work with a 4 link or Y link in the front!
I got my hands on a box stock axial JK for the build!

First thing I did was get the battery tray and the electronics box out of the way!

Next I removed the transmission to be altered

Gear cover removed

Slipper nut removed and all hardware layed out so you remember where all the parts go!

Pulled the 3 bolts that hold the motor plate on and removed it, the back half of the gear cover, and that important little spacer that your going to reuse later.

Removing the last bolt opens the transmission to expose the gears

Next remove the input shaft and replace it. I used a stock axle pinion shaft and I've used stock transmission input shafts but I recommend a shaft from supershafty for those of you that don't have a usable shaft laying around
"Split-Skid" MINI Topshaft - Super Shafty

Here you can see how I modified the end of the shaft I am using as its not long enough unless you file off the little nub on the end

Now pop the little dust cap out of the front half and snap it into the rear half of the transmission. Your new shaft will be coming out of the front of the transmission to adapt onto the new set up. Then drop the new shaft in and put the case back together!

Install the original bolts with the supplied 3mm nuts on the back side

Reinstall the transmission on the truck and hook the drivelines back to the trans. Look at all the room under the trans to mount your battery or electronics at the lowest point on the chassis!
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: ToyZuki's Fabrication low center of gravity motor mount

Now reassemble your stock input shaft and slipper assembly as you will be installing this in the new motor mount. Don't loose that spacer!!!!

Now remove everything on the chassis in front of the skid plate. I removed the stock servo plate also because my 3link/panhard conversion is next on the list.

Here's what comes in the kit. 1 motor mount, 2 mounting screws, 3 screws to bolt the motor plate to the motor mount, and 2 Fasteddy 5x11x4mm bearings to support the slipper shaft (same size bearing used through out the truck)

First insert the 2 bearings supplied and then bolt the motor plate to the mount with the 3 bolts. Bolts holes are only countersunk on one side for a reason, and the stock plate only fits the bolt pattern in one direction. It should look like this!

Slide your stock slipper/input shaft through the mount

Put the assembly between the frame rails lining the mounting holes up with the rear bolt hole of the shock hoop. Its a very tight fit because we don't want the motor mount flopping around. It fits snug between the frame rails.

Install the shock hoops with the supplied mounting bolts. These also hold the mount in place.

The front of your shock hoops should already have mounting hardware from your cms 3link/panhard set up.

Next step is to install a driveline between the stock input shaft and the new input shaft like this. Here's where that important little spacer comes into effect. The driveline holds the shaft in place (from sliding front to back) so depending on what driveline you choose to use it may or may not slide deep enough to take the end play out of the slipper shaft. Use the space to take up the difference before installing the shaft. Then remove the drive shaft and file a flat spot for the set screw. Installing it should have left a mark on the shaft to use as a guide so you know where to make the flat spot.

I have this set up working with my own cms kit and a hand bros kit. It looks like it will work with rc4wd's kit and VP's kit as well but I don't have one on hand to test it with. It will not work with the blue monkey kit as they use the same mounting holes as I do. I'm planning on trying to mount it behind the blue monkey kit by drilling new holes in the chassis, but it won't be a bolt on option. It will not work with the level3 cms kit because they mount the servo in a funny location that is in the way of the slipper shaft!
I have used a stock splined driveshaft, a stock wild bore driveshaft, a JunFac shaft, an MIP dig length shaft, and an rc4wd punisher shaft. They all clear the motor but may require shortening!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Can be purchased in the vendor section!
ToyZuki's Fabrication Low Center of Gravity Motor Mount
Old 03-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Got my hands on an rc4wd cms kit last night (thanx Alpine4x4) and installed it on the g6. I had to use an extra rod end ball to space the upper link away from the spur gear but it works! One more cms kit tested

Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Can you get a couple of shots facing from the passenger side uncompressed and compressed?
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

uploading to photo bucket
Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

It's back to the JC Auto Designs 3 link kit. The Rc4wd kit was just a rental lol! Is this what your looking for?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Not too shabby for the scx chassis even..
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Anything to help bud. I'll probably end up with one of these on my chassis now that I have a 3link/panhard setup installed, really innovative piece here.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanx man! We'll get your rig hooked up after I get back from nats!

ToyZuki's Fabrication low center of gravity motor mount - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ToyZuki's Fabrication Low Center of Gravity Motor Mount ToyZuki Axles, Trannys, T-case 282 04-17-2021 08:10 AM
Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount" ToyZuki General Scale Talk 70 03-23-2020 10:14 PM
level3 low center of gravity motor mount drkuhar HPI Wheely King 17 02-22-2015 10:55 PM
Low Center Of Gravity weston6969 Redcat Crawlers 5 01-23-2010 04:27 PM
Better center of gravity? 66sprint6 Axial SCX-10 26 11-20-2009 02:28 PM