Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Noise Variations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Noise Variations

Seems like everyone here has at least one SCX10 to run. I've noticed that all of the sound different.
I'm running a sensored brushless motor and it's one of the louder rigs, but it was loud back when I was running a 27T stock motor too. One guy is running a 55T motor, and it's dead quiet. The other guy running a 55T isn't near as quiet.

I know a lot of the noise depends on the motor itself. I know that my axles are dead quiet, pop of the drive lines and it'll coast around for days without a sound.

I think the guy who has the quietest 55T has his gear mesh set too tight, the 55T has the torque to overcome the tight mesh without heating up too bad.

I just rebuilt the transmission looking for things out of place, but all the gears look good, plenty of grease. The quiet guy claims it's because he puts grease on his spur/pinion gear. I don't buy that, since I'm sure it all get flung off right away. I put a very small amount on mine to try it out, and there might have been a tiny improvement, but almost imperceptible.

I was just curious if anyone else has wondered about the transmission noise, and what steps can be taken to quiet things down.
Brainanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

My new g6 is very quiet drivetrain wise, however my truggy with scx drivetrain is rather noisy, so I'm not much help there but would like to hear some suggestions as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b00st3d-vr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainanator View Post
Seems like everyone here has at least one SCX10 to run. I've noticed that all of the sound different.
I'm running a sensored brushless motor and it's one of the louder rigs, but it was loud back when I was running a 27T stock motor too. One guy is running a 55T motor, and it's dead quiet. The other guy running a 55T isn't near as quiet.

I know a lot of the noise depends on the motor itself. I know that my axles are dead quiet, pop of the drive lines and it'll coast around for days without a sound.

I think the guy who has the quietest 55T has his gear mesh set too tight, the 55T has the torque to overcome the tight mesh without heating up too bad.

I just rebuilt the transmission looking for things out of place, but all the gears look good, plenty of grease. The quiet guy claims it's because he puts grease on his spur/pinion gear. I don't buy that, since I'm sure it all get flung off right away. I put a very small amount on mine to try it out, and there might have been a tiny improvement, but almost imperceptible.

I was just curious if anyone else has wondered about the transmission noise, and what steps can be taken to quiet things down.

If it's quiet it's not too tight, tight gear mesh makes it really loud. You can try a new spur and pinion, once they get grit in them they will get loud, and improper gear mesh will accelerate this.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noise Variations

Weird, my loud one is the G6 kit version. It's easy to narrow it down to the transmission. I've tried different varying the tightness of the transmission housing screws, but it didn't help. I though maybe I tightened them down too much pinching the plastic into the gears or something.

Edit: I'm VERY confident about my own gear mesh. I haven't stripped a plastic spur or a pinion in a long time. There was a guy who had just rebuilt his wraith and it obviously had way too tight of mesh, sound atrocious. We fixed that in short order.

Mine has also been loud since new, before any grit could have gotten in there.

Last edited by Brainanator; 07-20-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainanator View Post
Weird, my loud one is the G6 kit version. It's easy to narrow it down to the transmission. I've tried different varying the tightness of the transmission housing screws, but it didn't help. I though maybe I tightened them down too much pinching the plastic into the gears or something.

Adjust your pinion spur mesh
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Pinion/spur mesh is dead on.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I noticed my transmission get noisier when I switched to Robinson gear internals. All metal.
And then again, when I went from 48p to 32p.
Its noisier bit not bad noisy.. If that makes sense. Just metal on metal vs the plastic tranny internals and the small tooth spur pinion.
I even notice the sticky noise from the grease in the transmission.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

It could be one of the bearings messed up in the tranny, extra material on one of the tranny gears from manufacturing , one of the tranny gears warped, to much grease, not enough grease, spur could be warped and making noise on the pinion. There's all kinds of stuff it could be...I hope one of these helps.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I got a similar situation after I swap my stock gears to metal ones, even though without motor and drive shafts the gear box runs pretty smooth. . . .
ricksonchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Only the top gear in my trans is metal (came that way). So it's all metal to plastic or plastic to plastic (for now). All my bearing felt fine when I tore it apart. The noise doesn't bother me. I'm used to driving my Savage Flux, and that transmission sounds like a rock tumbler with cats in it. But, ALL the savage flux transmissions I've seen sound that way. I'm just really curious why that's not the case with the SCX10. As T I N Y, it could just be molding tolerances.

Noise Variations - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi MRC scale variations: Wrangler, Amigo, Pickup etc 4Runner house 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 04-12-2014 06:56 PM
Br-xl noise??? The Doc Electronics 4 12-04-2012 02:50 AM
What Is This Noise??? rockcrawler150 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 07-30-2011 05:36 PM
540 Noise huffman81 Redcat Crawlers 5 04-04-2011 05:55 PM
noise 93 FORD BRONCO Axial SCX-10 16 01-19-2010 01:57 PM