Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Power Wagon Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 Power Wagon Project

Looks good! Love the mirrors.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #42

Looks great! I think once my JK is done I'm gonna build a Ram! How is the level 3 CMS?
mottillod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

Mottillod, I like it a lot. Very small amount of bumpsteer because I don't have a panhard bar, but it tucks the servo up under the frame nicely and I think it was only like $20. I've tried their free floating between the framerail design on my last rig but I wasn't a big fan.
ranger4xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

It has been a while since I have done an update on this project. I was very busy with the holidays and haven'y gotten around to posting but here are some more progress pictures. Enjoy!

Cab lights thanks to Jfrisch01 for the idea they took the scale-ness to a whole new level! Even clear lenses like the real deal.

New version of shifting linkage works much better rather than straining the servo.

Made and hot glued inner fender wells and painted interior black.

100mm Superlift scale shocks but changed out the internal springs to the white ones because the truck was leaning slightly just sitting.

As she sits. Anyone have an extra set of Tamiya Tundra door handles laying around let me know hahaha

Soon to come LED lights.

Last edited by ranger4xlt; 01-13-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Looks good! Like seeing all these Ram builds. Have you field tested those shocks yet? I may look into a set of 100mm's for a bit more flex(running 90mm's currently). I just dont want the truck to sit too high and fall over.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Yes I have, no problems with them so far. I purchased the spring kit that comes with 4 different spring rate sets so I think I have it dialed in nice with the amount of weight the truck is and its ability to crawl. It doesn't sit at the full 100mm but it sure flexes it with no problems.The springs the shocks come with are very weak or "absorbing" which didn't make for good driving or stance for my application.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Awesome. A thread I've been hoping for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cornbreadfarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

what did you use for the roof markers?
godofcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Tamiya Tundra F and P parts trees I think.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Update:
I've been driving the truck and having a blast with it but I am starting to see the lack of steering capabilities in the stock dog bone shafts. The steering angles seems to be very limited and it doesn't take much before they start binding. While video surfing on You tube the other day I came across Harley's deadbolt build videos, and I must say Harley does nice work and look forward to his posts on thursday nights. I had never heard of burly tubes before but his video gave me great knowledge on what they do and how to install them. So I think that is the route I plan to go with this truck. I like the fact that they add low weight to the front end and you can clock the c-hubs to where you want them. Not to mention the gains from better steering angles and sturdier knuckles. Seems like a lot of improvemnets over any axle you can buy for the cost. I plan on doing the stock width burly tubes (The exact ones Harley installed in the deadbolt) which will require some modification but I am up for the challenge. While doing this I also plan on putting 36/14 O.D. HD bevel gears in the front axle which I heard also does wonders for climbing. The truck is 2wd/ 4wd selectable so I think it will be a nice upgrade, and I can switch out of it when I don't need it. Since I am re-doing most of the front axle I figured I might aswell get a Vanquish locker to seal up the deal and eliminate any front end play.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #51
RCC Addict

The truck is only 2wd/4wd selectable with an optional dig unit and 3+ch radio like the gt3c.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
The truck is only 2wd/4wd selectable with an optional dig unit and 3+ch radio like the gt3c.
Like this one? that's a few comments above haha?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:02 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Yup, sorry I missed that. :/
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Came home today to a mailbox stuffed with RC parts from a few different places! I am getting ready to set up my axle with some shiny new parts. Still waiting on the brass burly tubes but they should be here any day now.

All ready to go. Still need to trim the ax10 shafts.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

It's been too long since iv'e done an update on my rig so here it is! I finally gave the truck some much needed run time out on the rocks and have worked out a few kinks. The truck crawls/climbs excellent now that most of the weight is in the front and the axle mod has greatly improved the steering angles and strength of the front axle. I did manage to break the front rc4wd plastic universal quickly but I ordered up their beefy steel driveshaft and that solved the problem. I am amazed at the working angle capabilities and vast diameter of it, I don't think this one will break anytime soon. I also made my own battery tray out of thick aluminum sheet and secured the battery down with 10lb capacity vecro. I then upgraded the steering servo to a savox digital because the old one was having a hard time keeping up. I was having difficulties with the lvl 3 rc servo mount being that at full lock it would try to pull the axle up so I ditched it and went with an SSD RC CMS and panhard kit which works awesome. After buttoning up all the electrical and triming the body a bit to clear the tires I just recieved my wheel and tire combo from RPP hobby. I went with the new 1.9 Maverick wheels and 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beasts. I think shocks are going to be changed out next for some Proline Powerstrokes and I am going to order up a nice metal bumper from Scaler Fab. I took some great photos before rolling the truck down a 20ft hill and I broke/lost one of my custom mirrors.... oh well... enjoy!

Last edited by ranger4xlt; 06-08-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #56

Truck looks good man! how do you like the fuel mavericks? Ive been looking at them for a while. they look awesome, but Id hate to scratch them lol also how do you like that savox waterproof servo?
BRASSKNUCKLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #57
Rock Stacker

The quality of the mavericks are amazing! all the hardware on the rims are actually scale bolts. The bolts for the hub caps are tiny and I would hate to loose them but overall excellent rims so far. I haven't run the set up yet but I am hoping these meaty tires will protect the rims a bit. Also the Savox servo works great. It is a perfect upgrade for this truck for not so much money and you gain double the torque and waterproof capabilities.

SCX10 Power Wagon Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
Project 1.9 Power Wagon Desert Rc 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 07-09-2013 11:54 PM
Project: Power Wagon 2.2 build. justinart24 2.2 Scale Rigs 71 10-11-2009 02:12 AM
project power wagon mike267 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 05-16-2009 07:43 AM