Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Power Wagon Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 Power Wagon Project

Just recieved my new Axial SCX10 Ram Power Wagon today and I am very excited to start building this one up. I plan on taking this truck to more of a scale 1.9 build than a mud basher. I've seen Spidernad's video online and he has inspired me to do the R2 DIG transmission reversed to allow the truck to be either 2wd or 4wd. I will also be looking into purchasing some scale axles and a CMS kit soon. I am interested to hear everyones thoughts on brands and ideas. Does anyone know of a CMS kit that I can do without relocating the battery? or should the battery be moved anyway for weight distribution?
ranger4xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10 Power Wagon Project

Here are some pictures of what I've been doing to it this past week. I recieved my order from RC4WD with the DIG unit and mounting plate for SCX10 and I also made my own links and polished them up on the buffing wheel. Not sure what I am doing for axles yet so I havent made the front links yet. I think I am going to switch over to a 4-link set up in the front. I also primed up my level 3 RC Chassis mounted servo plate and spacers which will recieve a coat of black paint this week.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion I wouldn't have bothered with the level 3 rc cms and pan hard. Iv read and seen there junk. The rc4wd one which is a hand brother remake is the way to go. I use it on my jk/built honcho and works amazing and high quality. Def worth the 50 it cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The plate sits on the right side as the pic looks but it's not on this pic I have. very awesome quality

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think the one you're talking about is their "floating" one which sits between the frame rails and is clamped by the frame rails. They also sell this on which is a solid mount without a panhard bar. Only reason I went with this style and not the style that sits upright is because I wanted to utilize the stock battery tray in its stock position so this kit should fit just under it horizontally.

More progress:
Had to pull everything off because trans wouldn't fit with speed control in stock location (thinking about making a plate between the frame and the rock sliders for it) and planning on upgrading to a 4-channel reciever so that had to go.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thinking about the RC4WD T-REX 60 front and rear plastic axles. Is anyone fimiliar with these axles or have any suggestions on other axles?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I run them on my 1.9 Wraith. T-Rex 60s are great if your looking for scale and plan on using stock to mild power. If you go 3s and up, you may need to look into hopping them up. Also, steering can be an issue with a servo over 250oz, stock housings wont hold up with heavy abuse. I was gonna run them with my scx as I planned on using a cms some day, until I figured out I had to fab all my upper link mounts to do that. If you have any questions about their guts and stuff, PM me, ill send you pictures and what experience I have had with them.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

@Dad,Canyoufix?, I am not planning on going hardcore crawling so I think they might hold up just fine. Thank you, I will PM you if I decide that is the route I want to go. I have a few things to do still before the axles but I am trying to come up with an order on how to put this thing together the way I want it which is tougher than anticipated haha.

I was mounting my CMS kit and was possibly playing around with the idea of mounting the trans off to the side to center the driveshafts in the frame. Would there be any benefits to this besides the fact it would look more realistic? Would it allow for more articulation?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The only time I personally( someone else may know of another issue) have seen any trouble caused by the driveshaft placement is more related to the angle(gets hung up on stuff). I have read with wraith axles you sometimes get a link to driveshaft rub, but usually nothing severe.

Speaking of wraith axles. Have you though about narrowing a set instead of rc4wd trexs? I am
Building a power wagon as well and plan on getting a set when funds allow. I personally love the look and there are a few threads around that are great resources of how to info.

Scale DANA 60's for your SCX10
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I guess I was more looking for a reason for someone to say not to do it haha. It wouldn't have to move far to be centered and I have the stuff to do it so I think it might be just worth it if I can mount it securely. I have not seen that mod before but I will certainly look into it now that you mention it!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

RC4WD scale shocks , superlift shocks, or KING off road shocks? Thinking in 100mm.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I just put 90mm gmade ts-02 shocks on mine. I love em.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Decided to go through with relocating the transmission to allow the drive shafts to be centered in the frame and this is how it is coming along:

Had to drill and tap more holes in the R2 to hold it secure.

Not entirely sure how bad this effect weight distribution but I might have to find something to add a little weight on the other side. Also possibly make a shield of some sort maybe for the motor since it sticks out. I haven't done anything that can't be undone.

Last edited by ranger4xlt; 10-26-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #15

subscribed, great build so far! i plan to build a ram along the lines of yours but using ascender axles and a wraith dig transmission. anyways keep up the good work, eager to see the finished product.
808 tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

More progress on the power wagon today! Was very excited to see my package from RC4WD in the mail today with some goodies. The hardware I need was on back order though so hopefully they should be here soon and I can put this all together and in the truck. The kit for the servo on the dig transmission leaves an odd gap for dirt to get in so I cut out a piece to sandwhich in between the bracket and the transmission that covers the hole.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

More Progress:
Just ordered up some sliders with the cover plates from Scaler Fab for this truck which should be here sometime next week. Also, decided I was better off not relocating the transmission due to a drastic imbalance in the truck. Just too much weight to hang over the frame, and I wanted to keep the battery in its stock location.
All the plates painted up and installed.

My try at a scale exhaust tip: (Can't claim credit for this idea, I saw it online)

Failed attempt to secure it:

Made a plate to stick my ESC to: (to be painted and finished off)
Old 11-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #18

Nice build man I see why you left the battery where itb is stock. I went jevene racing plate that relocates the batter aswell as give cms placement. Which im gonne use for servo winch. The bumper im getting made from scalerfab is gonna have the fairlead in it already so it will be like the 1:1 winch! Nice work man
oliver67969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

@oliver67969 Thanks! I would have gone with a jevene racing plate but I just don't have the room with the transmission where it is. I am also wanting to do a servo winch but I am running out of room fast haha. I am also going to have a hard time getting myself to cut off this lexan bumper on the ram body but Scaler Fab makes some pretty good looking bumpers and I might do the same thing you are if I can find a place to mount another servo.

More progress:
Finished up my custom exhaust finally! Also waiting for parts for the suspension so I can start putting that back together. Haven't made the front links yet because I am tempted to purchase the k44 scale front axle and I am not sure if the links will be the same length or not. Still undecided. ( I need to work on the lighting in my room haha, sorry for the bad pictures )

Last edited by ranger4xlt; 11-04-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Anyone have any input on a good 4 channel radio? I've been debating going with a Spektrum or a Traxxas radio and modding the top toggle switch to a 3 position on 1 channel winch switch.

SCX10 Power Wagon Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project B.A. Power Wagon (Bad A** Power Wagon) freetimecrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 12-30-2018 07:19 AM
Project 1.9 Power Wagon Desert Rc 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 07-09-2013 11:54 PM
Project: Power Wagon 2.2 build. justinart24 2.2 Scale Rigs 71 10-11-2009 02:12 AM
project power wagon mike267 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 05-16-2009 07:43 AM