Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Not given myself any treats at all for quite a few months, so figured I deserved one.
I missed my SCX10 D90 that I built, so decided to go for another SCX10 but this time keep the lexan shell and keep the stock wheelbase, to hopefully help it crawl a bit better and just generally handle nicer.
Helps make up for my driving

First of the hop ups arrived :P

I don't usually take any pride in lexan shells, they usually go plain black or a plain single colour and that's it, basically bought to smash and protect the electrics... But this one I took a bit more time and care and really like how it came out.

After finishing the initial build, I set about adding some of my own touches.
Firstly, I made some scale bungee's.

Then I wanted some netting to the rear as it looked a bit plain in my opinion, I'm not a huge fan of panels, so some kind of net effect seemed the best way to go, but instead of mesh or tights or similar, I didn't want perfect square holes, so I hunted around and found some old non slip mat stuff and set about cutting and hot glue gunning

I liked the first bit, so I carried on

And that's were I'm up to now basically.
I have some bits on the way, so it's just the million year wait for the postie knocking!
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

We got a F1 thread here, if you care.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
We got a F1 thread here, if you care.
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

F1, Formula 1. Like the stack of games your flexing out on.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looking real good.The blue looks great!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
F1, Formula 1. Like the stack of games your flexing out on.
Ohhhhh, duh! Yeah sorry, I was tired when I replied to that, didn't have a clue what you meant
I'll take a look, I'm more into just the gaming side of it than actual F1 racing to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Looking real good.The blue looks great!
Thanks man, I like it too

Received my BEC today also, set at a steady 6v, servo works nicely, and no brown out now, so I'm very happy, it's all working.
Just need to work on the steering angle now, it's pretty bad otherwise the dog bones start binding.
Need to do some investigating on the best route to go.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm using Vanquish zero Ackerman knuckles and Axial CVDs with great results. I had to make a longer tie rod and drag link but its a small price to pay for more steering.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I've ordered the Axial CVD's and some Boom Racing knuckles, c hubs and lockouts, I'm not sure what they'rll be like, but it was a $35 gamble I'm willing to take lol.

Had her out for her first trail today, didn't last too long because of the big puddle in the last picture, it was a bit deep and got the BEC wet (only bit I forgot to Plastidip :( ) it didn't even occur to me it was the BEC as it was still lighting up, so assumed it was the ESC, and I came home.
Still happy though, truck ran awesome, absolutely loving it.
Felt like the kind of truck I'll keep in the boot of the car with the tx just in case we ever go anywere I can use it for a bit.
Now sadly, I dropped my tripod and trying to avoid a pile of dog mess I stood on it and snapped a leg off, so couldn't do any video, but I did get some pictures.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Please let us know how that Boom Racing stuff works out. Their tranny kit looks like a killer deal if it'll hold up.

May I suggest you lower the body down as far as possible. You'd be surprised how much better it works, just trim the body where it rubs.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Please let us know how that Boom Racing stuff works out. Their tranny kit looks like a killer deal if it'll hold up.

May I suggest you lower the body down as far as possible. You'd be surprised how much better it works, just trim the body where it rubs.
It seems to run fine so far with the body high, I do plan on moving it down, but want to scratch the body up a bit before I start rubbing the arches away lol.
I'll be sure to report on the Boom Racing stuff, I quite like being the first 'public' person to test certain products, I've not seen anyone else use these particular parts, although I'm sure theirs plenty that have, so it'll be interesting to put them through their paces
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well we did indeed get out... Almost 3 hours from each battery and that put them both to 3.8v per cell, so could easily have 3 1/2 hours from the packs, mine are 1,000mAh bigger but my motor is a bit faster, so they end up lasting the exact same time.

No breakages, apart from a LiPo buzzer, but I was hitting the puddles and mud hard, absolutely loving it!
No video as of yet I'm afraid, I did manage to snap a few pictures on the way round though, hope you like!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ohh no, a casualty... Lost bodyclip lol!
Made some nice chains to keep them together, also be quicker getting the rears off now as well.
And just to show it did actually get dirty today, can't really tell in the other pictures...

Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well I decided to go in a bit more of a different way with this... The initial plan was to make it look quite scale, but I realise it simply isn't ever going to be a scaler, I want it to be good off road, not necessarily look as good as possible off road, so... I've chopped the front arches and cut away a small portion of the rear to bring the body right down.

I also think this looks better and looks slightly more aggressive.

I also have another plan for the cage, but one thing at a time... :P

Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You should be able to lower the body morn than that. I've got mine to the point where the grill sits just below the top of the bumper. Body posts are slammed all the way down. I don't run the spur gear cover which helps. I also had to heat the body where the spur rubbed it to clear just by a millimeter or two.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
Some great shots of the rig. Really digging the wheel setup.
Thanks, I love the wheels too, surprised I didn't lose any of the little bolts lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
You should be able to lower the body morn than that. I've got mine to the point where the grill sits just below the top of the bumper. Body posts are slammed all the way down. I don't run the spur gear cover which helps. I also had to heat the body where the spur rubbed it to clear just by a millimeter or two.
Body isn't in it's final position, but I kind of like it were it is anyway to be honest.
The rear is already all the way round, I may take the front down one more, but need to wait for my bumper to arrive to hook up the winch and so on to see how I want it to sit
Thanks for the tip on heating it up a little, not a bad idea
Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Bit more progress after we got back from a little run this afternoon, got my bumpers from Gaz this morning, so set about fitting them this evening.
Absolutely EXACTLY what I wanted, both front and rear, got it spot on, I went with a very specific design and size, for many reasons.
Also got my land anchor attached to the winch 'rope' and bolted the winch onto the front bumper.
Overall, I'm happy, I also fit some +6mm offset hubs, which have really made a good difference, and I've put 20g in each rear wheels and 40g in each front, along with fitting a new set of Boom Racing shocks, which I'm very pleased with, currently on a droop set up and I like them a lot, more suits my driving style and 'needs' than sprung!
I just need to figure out a secure but easily removable place for the LiPo to go now.
Once that's figured out, she's basically done, other than tyres, which will come at a later date, plus maybe a few accessories on the back.

Comments/input very welcome
Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Small update, I made a little box for my small LiPo that powers the winch, up front, out of the way, also got it painted and mounted.
I also made some front inner fenders to help keep the water and dirt out, I also think it adds a small bit of scale, even though this will never be a 'scaler' it looks quite good I think

Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

So I haven't had this out for a proper run for a little while which is a shame, it's such a fun rig to drive and abuse, I was pretty wound up this morning in a dispute with Wheelspin Models, so anyway, I decided this would get a thrashing today
Glad I did, I had almost forgotten exactly how fun this is.
I simply love it, getting wet, muddy and generally hoonin'!
Towards the end when going through the deeper water, I lost steering one way, would go full lock left and nothing right.
Picked it up gave it a few drops from about 2ft, hit the throttle... Perfect lol, got to love it when it's just mud or a stone stuck and not an electrical gremlin.
Got some pictures along the way of course... So, enjoy

Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looking good.You appear to be having a blast.I didn't catch what ESC & motor your running.Im too chicken to run mine through the mud & muck.Even though I used the MG conformal coating on mr RX's & ESC's.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yeah your having way to much fun.. ;)
Looking good, keep it up.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote

OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM