Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: I have no idea what I'm doing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: I have no idea what I'm doing

Winch install.
The mounting holes in the winch were almost literally a hair off, but I had to use the mounting plate, as it has the fairlead. A nice touch is the rollers actually roll.
I first removed the winch from the plate and using two of the slightly off holes, temporarily mounted it to the bumper so I could drill new holes with a 1/16" bit. The winch came with 2x8ish machine screws and locknuts. I couldn't use the locknuts as the mounting holes go straight into the bumper mount.

After removing the plate, I notched the top of the stock bumper for clearance, remounted the plate, then mounted the winch.

The controller is taped to the top of the steering servo.

Rather than hack up the wiring to integrate the winch power, I simply made an adapter. Similar to what you'd get with a HeyOK, but with PowerPoles instead of Deans.

I had to use 3" extensions (HD, from Gear Head/RPP) for the ESC and winch. The steering servo is hooked up with a Holmes Hobbies RX bypass adapter and Castle BEC. I used safety clips on the extensions as well.

Finally, Hot Racing shackles, front and rear.

Last edited by Jeckler; 04-16-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I haven't seen a good dingo build in a while
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Let's see, what have I done lately...
I picked up another Castle BEC and redid the ESC connection to get rid of the piggy back I had made earlier. One to clean it up a bit and two, I don't think the winch likes 3S voltage. The connector you see in the foreground is going to the winch. I didn't want to just cut off the connector as I might use it somewhere else later or want to change the setting via Castle Link. So I found a heavy duty extension, chopped it up and soldered it to the winch power connections.
The harness on the left with the yellow and black wires is the Holmes Hobbies rx bypass adapter for my steering servo. So technically I'm running 3 BEC's in this thing, one from the ESC, powering the receiver, 1 CCBEC running the steering servo and the other CCBEC for the winch.

New wheels and tires. 1.9" Rock Beasts on Locked Up RC Adversary SLW's with scale hardware and front/rear scale hubs. I also added the 7mm spacer and I'm running .185 wheel hubs.
A tip... don't bother buying the 2.0mm tool that LURC sells for their hardware. It's absolute garbage. Pick up a decent hex driver. Wiha's are about $8 for 1, or $40 for a set of 7. The wheels themselves however, are gorgeous.

Just today I also installed Axial High Steer knuckles and BMRC Ti steering links.

I also did some battery/ESC testing. The ESC in this rig is a Traxxas ET-3S that came out of a Funny Car. There is a setting in the original firmware that puts the ESC in Staging Mode. A Traxxas radio is needed to verify this and also to turn it off. Mine's been flashed with genuine MMP firmware, but on 2S, it didn't seem to be very fast. I'm running stock gearing (87/20) with an Integy 27t lathe motor. Keep in mind that this is my first Axial rig, just look at the title of this thread.
I recently picked up a couple Turnigy 2200mah, 20c 3S packs and it didn't seem to be that much faster from the naked eye. So I did some testing with my daughter this evening. I marked off 50' in the street in front of the house and did 3 runs each with a few different combos, from a standing start. These are the averages:

2S Gens Ace 5000mah, 50c - 10.23 seconds
3S Turnigy 2200mah, 20c - 6.9 seconds
4S 2 Gens Ace in series - 5.13 seconds
5S 1 Turnigy, 1 Gens Ace, in series - 4.2 seconds

I run Anderson Power Pole connectors, so I'm able to separate + and - to create the series packs. I guess my eyes were deceiving me. 2S to 3S is definitely a noticeable increase. 5S is awesome, but I'm afraid something's going to blow up. The ESC wasn't too happy either, with its fan going full blast after the 3rd run, so I won't be doing that again. I was also afraid to try 6S.

Last edited by Jeckler; 05-16-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Grammar and stuff
Old 02-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

5.5 years later, I'm moving away from the 11.4" wheelbase. I bought some cheap links from Amazon to extend WB to 12.3 and just today ordered a CMS kit and a new body, plus a few small things. The OG SCX lives on.
OMG, I bought, not built!
EDIT: I still have those ugly diff covers somewhere around here.

Last edited by Jeckler; 02-14-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #25
Slow is the new Fast

Oh muh Gawd, that is a Dingo!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:58 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

What is the new body?
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I'll be putting a PL Gladiator body on it.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #28

Nice looking rig
jsix321@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote

I have no idea what I'm doing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Idea for anyone! RcLee Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 17 09-30-2013 08:01 AM
Just an Idea NEMYSIS Chit Chat 6 03-08-2006 03:22 PM
New idea? mikemaster General Crawlers 4 11-06-2005 12:57 PM