Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help with decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Help with decision

I've been getting more and more interested in the SCX10 based trucks lately, I have been looking at the Axial site and understand the differences between all the different trucks, I am leaning towards the Ram I like to build but I also like to tinker and repair as things reveal their weaknesses. I don't have a motor Esc or TX/RX I want to put in that's why I am leaning towards the RTR Ram my question is are the RTR TX/RX and motor ESC combos just average RTR equipment or are the worth keeping and using?
Thanks for any and all comments/opinions.
sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help with decision

First off welcome,

The ESC that is included isn't the best, but its not the worst either. The motor is eventually going to crap out, same as the servo. Some people have had luck with the servo. The tx isn't too bad either, I was lucky enough to get the new tactic radio included in the deadbolt I picked up.......it got decent reviews and its a 3 channel which is a plus. I say go for it, and just upgrade when things break. You could also look into a Holmes hobbies crawl master 13t motor and just use the ESC that is included, make your own metal links on the cheap and you will be golden.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I just got the scx10 deadbolt and the rx/tx esc and motor are pretty good I know a lot of guys that run the stock esc and motor until they die and then replace them with the same. The esc is now waterproof and is easy to change the drag brake and lipo cutoff. The motor gives a great balance of torque and wheel speed. I'd keep them until one or both die and just replace. The only problem on rx/rx side is the rx box is not waterproof. But it's easy enough r waterproof the box with some liquid electrical tape or water resistant rtv. I'm sticking with the stock stuff until I get my new tx with a model memory since I have 3 cars I run.

Trane
Newcrawler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
First off welcome,
He joined 10 years ago.

They're average at best, but work fine until you try nicer stuff. Like anything else in the world.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

EeePee your right I did join 10 years ago and obviously wasn't a big poster back then but did hang around and tried crawling what I could with a Revo and slightly modded Emaxx. I guess the newbie title still applies since I've just re found my enjoyment in the hobby and recently converted the Nitro Revo to Brushless and like I said the SCX10 Ram has caught my eye as has the lower speed more technical driving of the crawler/trail trucks. I am still running my AM Traxxas radio but plan on upgrading once I have my 3yr old daughters Emaxx built and hand down that radio to her. It's more the motor/ESC that concerns me but if they are average compared to other companies RTR's then it should be ok for a starter crawler truck.

Wade, Newcrawler24 and EeePee thanks for the responses, that the kinda info/opinions I am looking for!

Last edited by sled; 04-26-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
He joined 10 years ago.

They're average at best, but work fine until you try nicer stuff. Like anything else in the world.

my bad
Old 04-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #7

No worries Wade!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I always get the kit version when ever i buy there fun to build and most of the time they have upgraded part rather then RTR versions and you get to know how things work.You can decide what esc, motor you want for a good price...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

The ae5 is the worst esc axial has ever included in a rig. The Servo seems better than the old. The ram is ugly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited by z50king; 04-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #10

Rustneversleeps I agree building a lot is always a good time! Just coming back to the hobby, I am learning about all the new tech out there lots has changed since I put my nitro on the shelf however many years ago!

Z50king why do you say it's the worst ESC Axial has ever supplied in a truck? Thanks for your opinion on the aesthetics of the kit I prefer even if it wasn't a topic I was looking for opinions on, it appears all of the SCX10 are basically the same underneath with minor differences across the lineup (body style being one of them).
Old 04-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

My 4yr old beats the snot out of his deadbolt and the ae-5 is still going strong. Eventually it will burn up, but if and when it does oh well then I will either go with the Hobbywing or the Sidewinder ESC. Some of us I guess are really lucky with the RTR electronics......others not so much.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

My ae5 is still working in my deadbolt but I just put a brushless setup in my wraith so I put my Holmes Br-xl in my deadbolt to see the difference and it is night and day difference. I never realized how smooth low end is possible. The ae5 is now sitting on the shelf and will stay there.

I vote kit version with a Holmes Br-xl esc and a decent motor and servo
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

Not sure if you made your purchase yet But what I have found and this is only from reading and you tube but what turned me off from the ram is there is a ton of wheel rub when flexing so I just wanted to throw that out there. For some it doesn't matter but for me was enough to look into a different model. Especially considering the amount of rub with the smallest tires axial offers. I'm not new to rc but new to the crawling world. I personally have narrowed my choice down to either the scx10 deadbolt or G6.
Spazzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzx View Post
Not sure if you made your purchase yet But what I have found and this is only from reading and you tube but what turned me off from the ram is there is a ton of wheel rub when flexing so I just wanted to throw that out there. For some it doesn't matter but for me was enough to look into a different model. Especially considering the amount of rub with the smallest tires axial offers. I'm not new to rc but new to the crawling world. I personally have narrowed my choice down to either the scx10 deadbolt or G6.
Man you gotta stop triple posting the exact same thing. Get the deadbolt. Saved money can be put towards any body you choose.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Well i just was on the axial web site they just release the new Wraith Spawn kit version kool......i have the first version Wraith kit version with the real seats and it's done me well...
The kit i would get if i were to buy and would be my next purchase would be the the wrangler G6 kit...The CRC RTR this one here has lots of extra parts..
Goog luck on your purchase...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with decision - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Split Decision 123nanez Axial SCX-10 13 04-11-2014 03:55 PM
Final decision demonoid369 Electronics 9 05-08-2011 11:14 AM
new motor decision racerfred Electronics 1 05-07-2011 01:15 PM
Need help with a decision. fasttimes!! General Scale Talk 1 07-28-2007 12:40 AM
Help with a decision. payableondeath6 Newbie General 9 01-12-2007 11:52 AM