Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 first upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
Izz

Default SCX10 first upgrades

Hi All,

So i am new here and I just purchased an SCX10 and have been having a load of fun with it. Right from the start I kinda didn't like the axle mounted servo setup, it looked like at it would/could hit the sides of the frame at full flex... so I ordered:

Axial SCX10 Heavy Duty Aluminum Steering Link Kit for Chassis Mounted Servo CMS | eBay

Which looks like the level 3 rc setup. Will the panhard rod limit articulation ? I am looking for mods that will help me get more articulation the particular SCX10 I have is the "2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited" .

I also have the Axial steering upgrade (which just replaced the two plastic tie rods). No idea what to use that for now (probably just keep it as as a spare).

I was also at looking at replacing the stock plastic 4link setup in the rear (and upgrading the 3link in the front) to a aluminum/metal 4link setup all around. Along with high travel shocks/coils. Anyone have any recommendations ? Trying to get the most articulation I can for the mods mentioned.

Here are some pics from today:

Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
waw
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 first upgrades

for starter, at least read the following thread >> about maximizing stock performance, without spending too much

at least you'll know where you're headed..

to a fellow enthusiast, welcome sir

Last edited by waw; 04-29-2015 at 07:47 PM.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

CMS, and especially CMS of that particular design, is not a step up in performance. Best articulation and performance will come from servo on axle, you can run a full four link and have zero bump steer. If you run a well designed CMS you won't be too far behind a servo on axle setup and can minimize bump steer quite a bit, but careful consideration has to be given to panhard and draglink relationship. Also, with CMS if you try to run four link the suspension and steering are going to be working against each other, you want a three link to run CMS.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So you'll see better results with the servo just on the axel
Mitchell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
Izz

Thanks for the advice guys ! I guess the STRC metal steering links won't get shelved afterall. What would you guys recommend in the realm of shocks/coils ?
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

The stock shocks leak live a sieve but i have been running them on my scx10 for 2 years now, i have never bothered to refill/fix/replace them because they work just fine (just slightly more bouncy )
but if you want to repalce the stockers alot of people swear by the proline power strokes

Pro-Line PowerStroke Shocks 6060 for Rock Crawler
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I am no expert RC crawler but what I did with mine, which most of it is free.

Metal 4 link. I used the Axial links and they work fine
Remove the rubber stopper on the shocks.. gives you a little more flex
Move the battery to the front.
Put your RX in a balloon to make it water proof. The stock servo may not be water proof but I have ran through puddles with no issues.
I move my body mounting post a hole to give a little more clearance to keep the tires from rubbing the body.

Hit the toy department and get yourself a driver.. a driverless Jeep looks odd

The other upgrades you see on here.. hold off until something breaks.. I have had mine for about a year and have had nothing break so stock is a pretty good setup.

Last edited by Sailingeric; 04-30-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingeric View Post
Hit the toy department and get yourself a driver.. a driverless Jeep looks odd
No more odd than grown men placing dolls in their toys.

Last edited by Eric0424; 06-13-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
No more odd than grown men placing dolls in their toys.

Hey leave my dolls out of this.
Reddog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Izz

I am looking for more travel and lift. These look like 90-95 mm shocks, wouldn't the 103mm shocks work better for what I am looking for ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' bear 4wd View Post
The stock shocks leak live a sieve but i have been running them on my scx10 for 2 years now, i have never bothered to refill/fix/replace them because they work just fine (just slightly more bouncy )
but if you want to repalce the stockers alot of people swear by the proline power strokes

Pro-Line PowerStroke Shocks 6060 for Rock Crawler
Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
I am looking for more travel and lift. These look like 90-95 mm shocks, wouldn't the 103mm shocks work better for what I am looking for ?
Only place more flex works is in pictures. I leave the limiters on the stock shocks and just run them. The Proline scalers really are very good especially as a 90-95 mm shock. Much taller than that and you start having issues caused by the high cg.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Your ebay link is for a "steering link kit" ONLY to suit the Level 3 CMS kit, you still have to buy the CMS kit separately.

90-95mm shocks are fine, get your self some HPI (or same size) bladders, Team Associated green slime & bleed them properly & even the stock Axial shocks work fine (100's of 2.2Pro & Sportsmans rigs can't all be wrong)
TowerHobbies.com | HPI Racing Bladder 9x3.5mm (4)

Don't get bluffed by looking for huge flex, that just leaves your rig laying on it's side all the time, concentrate on getting that battery down as low as you can & changing out the stock plastic links for something metal, the Axial kit is ok, some 8-32 all thread & traxxas revo rod ends & DIY are cheapest or there are a heap of different vendors doing them in Stainless or Titanium (the search box at the top right works wonders). Avoid like the plague any of the hyper bling machined alloy links that have a pressed in pivot ball (Integy/TopCad/HotRacing) they will give you greif sooner than later.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

just some advice I wish someone would have told me...when you start to upgrade axles (beeftubes, CVDs, aluminum hubs and knuckles, upgraded locker, OD/UD gears) do it all at once so you only have to take the damn things apart one time. I did most of these at separate times (after building the kit) and hated myself for it
three2won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

flex is one of those things where less is more, and any thing over a tire height is usually a waste!
Please dont get to wraped up in upgrading it right away run it have fun with it get to know how you use it and upgrade the peices that break or dont preform well, there are tons of aftermarket parts, some good some bad, and there are an endless amount of modiifactions you can do to, but the key is to get it setup for your driving style. Things like beef tubes, overdrive/underdrive gears, and various steering angle upgrades are good, but not always neccesary. Beef tubes strengthen you axles and are a great mod. Overdrive/Underdrive Gears and Steering angle mods are great and improve turning radius, BUT if you are not going to compete with this rig are not entirly neccicary. On my rig for instance the axles are all bone stock and i have been more than pleased with them the 2+ years i have been beating on them. I dont compete with mine and stick to trail running and some rock crawling, thus i have no need for lots of upgrades. the only upgrade i have on my rig is axials set of alum links and i moved the battery tray down low and as far foward as i could. thats it. nothing else. and it preforms well enough to please me, sure it doesnt turn on a dime, and the shocks have leaked out all the oil, and its rusty and dirty, but it works good enough for me. mine even got ran over by a toyota pickup (yes a real toyota not an rc) and all it suffered was a broken c hub and one bent outdrive. i replaced these parts with stock ones and havnt broken them since
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 first upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 upgrades ranover Axial SCX-10 2 10-09-2010 09:27 PM
First SCX10, what upgrades? Michael999 Axial SCX-10 7 05-12-2010 07:12 PM