Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Has anyone tried any "Xtra Speed" beadlocks out?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Default Has anyone tried any "Xtra Speed" beadlocks out?

I have tried to find some info on this but to no avail. If anyone has gave them a try I would love to hear how they worked for you. I mostly trail / crawl in fairly dry creek beds in the State Forrest near my house with a few friends. Insane performance isn't a priority whatsoever, mainly I just want something durable and would like it to look good. I am leaning more and more towards a set of RC4WD white steelies though just for plain and simple (hopefully) never have any issues wheels. I have a set of Proline TSL Super Swamper XL 1.9s on their way to me now. I would like to keep the wheels under $60 for the set, but if I can't get something in that range that would be worthwhile I'll just wait and order them when my budget allows. Here are the Xtra Speed wheels I am referring to.

Xtra Speed Aluminum 1 9 inch 6 Spoke Heavy Duty Beadlock Wheel RC Car XS 59560 | eBay

They're about ~$50 shipped for the set.

I currently have a somewhat modded Deadbolt at stock width and wheelbase, so I don't think those tires will rub too much.

Also worth mentioning, if someone has any other suggestions on something that would actually be a better way to spend the last $60 feel free to suggest away (at MAX, it's actually $50 you know how it goes).

Current mods aside from marine grease and such :

Home made metal 4 link front and rear
Weighted front wheels 3 oz each
Cut off bump stops
Home made rear bumper
CMS
Home made diff guards
Lots of mostly home made scale accessory goodies

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by zanoob13; 06-09-2015 at 10:47 AM.
zanoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Has anyone tried any "Xtra Speed" beadlocks out?

In my experience the axial beadlocks aren't bad if your on a budget, a set will run $30. If you would have said $70ish I would recommend the SSD wheels, I really like those and so far are definitely worth the money.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The beads on the proline tires are notoriously difficult to seat on some wheels...i would get a set of the axial plastic 8 hole beadlocks as I know first hand they will seat on them...and they are inexpensive, durable and look good until you can budget for more expensive wheels
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Get some GearHead delrin rings for the Axial beadlocks.Lots of styles to choose from.Makes them look much better.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
In my experience the axial beadlocks aren't bad if your on a budget, a set will run $30. If you would have said $70ish I would recommend the SSD wheels, I really like those and so far are definitely worth the money.

Cheers,
Wade
Do you have a link to those?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
SeeGee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanoob13 View Post
I am leaning more and more towards a set of RC4WD white steelies though just for plain and simple (hopefully) never have any issues wheels. I have a set of Proline TSL Super Swamper XL 1.9s on their way to me now.
I will say that this combo will not work for everyone. I have the same set of tires and wheels and I could not get the wheels to hold a bead on the tires after several tries. You can buy new rings from RC4WD for around $12, or someone posted that the VP OMF rings will work too.

VP OMF rings inside RC4WD wheels

RC4WD rings

The tires hold great in my Axial beadlocks though.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGee911 View Post
Do you have a link to those?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
I've got a set of their 10-hole 2.2" on my Wraith. I like the wheels, but didn't care for the scale bolts. They got replaced with stainless socket screws.

SSD Wheels

Last edited by Eric0424; 06-09-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of ebay wheels similar to the ones in the OP. They are not bad for a cheap wheel but you can tell the poor machining and anodizing when you see them in real life. I couldn't get them to mount right on the Vaterra TSL tires which have a similar bead to the Proline tires. They mounted up to a set of Axial tires with no problem.

Another option is the Gmade steel beadlocks (the SR series of wheels, other models are plastic) which are very good for the price. The downside is they are heavy (don't think about adding wheel weights to these) but they are strong, mount easy, and hold a bead very well. Order the wheels from RPP and they will probably be at your house before those ebay wheels make it on a boat heading out of China.

Gmade 1.9 Wheels
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #9

I don't have the exact wheels you are talking in the original post but i have another set. they work well for the price they are but i haven't tried to mount proline tires to them.
carolina_customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

Wow thanks for all the excellent input everyone! I ended up ordering a set of the plastic Axial 8 hole beadlocks. For once the cheaper option sounds like the better option lol. This also leaves me now with about $20 left in my $100 spending spree (sold another RC for trail rig parts ) I'm now thinking of going ahead and ordering one of the widening kits on Ebay. So does anyone have any input on those as well? I know Wraith axles are wider and whatnot, but again, I try to keep things cheap as possible and am on a fairly tight budget.

Here's a link to a set on ebay

4x20mm Wheel Spacer Widener for Tamiya AX10 SCX10 Truck Ford 1 10 High Lift F350 | eBay

Thanks yet again for all the help!!!
zanoob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
The beads on the proline tires are notoriously difficult to seat on some wheels...i would get a set of the axial plastic 8 hole beadlocks as I know first hand they will seat on them...and they are inexpensive, durable and look good until you can budget for more expensive wheels
And I believe they're very difficult on those steelies if I'm not mistaken. Something about the center ring not being wide enough. Remember overhearing when I was at my LHS.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Cheers,
Wade
I just had to throw a set out because the hexes stripped out. They're not bad if you're going to run a slipper, but if you're fully locked I would look at aluminum.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
I just had to throw a set out because the hexes stripped out. They're not bad if you're going to run a slipper, but if you're fully locked I would look at aluminum.
I have been running them for a couple years now on brushed holmes hobbies motors with no stripped hexes, still running the slipper but its tightened down all the way....

are you running brushless power?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the excellent input everyone! I ended up ordering a set of the plastic Axial 8 hole beadlocks. For once the cheaper option sounds like the better option lol. This also leaves me now with about $20 left in my $100 spending spree (sold another RC for trail rig parts ) I'm now thinking of going ahead and ordering one of the widening kits on Ebay. So does anyone have any input on those as well? I know Wraith axles are wider and whatnot, but again, I try to keep things cheap as possible and am on a fairly tight budget.

Here's a link to a set on ebay

4x20mm Wheel Spacer Widener for Tamiya AX10 SCX10 Truck Ford 1 10 High Lift F350 | eBay

Thanks yet again for all the help!!!
I really don't recommend wheel wideners. They're just too wide. You'll get a lot of tire drag when turning and it throws the whole steering geometry off.

If you've just ordered some plastic beadlocks then look at ordering a set of 12mm hexes for a Traxxas Slash/Rustler 2WD Fronts. Just get the plastic replacement ones and make sure to get the Fronts. The fronts are 8mm thick (twice as wide as stock, rears are same as stock). You'll get a slightly wider stance without totally jacking your steering up. They're also quite a bit cheaper!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-3654...item51d13fc229

Proline makes some very nice aluminum ones that you can go to once you have aluminum rims.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have been running them for a couple years now on brushed holmes hobbies motors with no stripped hexes, still running the slipper but its tightened down all the way....

are you running brushless power?
No, I run a 35T Tekin. Slipper was tightened all the way. Now it has been eliminated.

Do you go to competitions?

What I've found is that when that wheel gets stuck in a rock and you're trying to F/R out of it you'll begin to get some wear to the point where it will ultimately just spin in there.

We need to get away from hex and go to star!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

So to answer your OP I don't think I've used that specific Chinese manufacturer, but I do have 2-sets of 6 spoke aluminum beadlocks from another Chinese manufacturer.

I like them a lot and they're very durable. The hole pattern on the bead ring is different than that of Axial though so you won't be able to run all the aftermarket bead rings that Gearhead and others make.

This is the wheel I have...

$35- a set plus $10- shipping! Can't beat it. They also sell singles if you want a matching spare.

NOTE: There were not any holes in the rims for venting, but that was an easy enough fix.

6 Spoke Alloy Beadlock 1 9 Wheel Rim Set 4pcs for 1 10 1 10 RC Crawlers Cars | eBay

Here they are on my truck (I flipped the front bead ring so that it was all black)...

Last edited by DowntownScience; 06-09-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

If you have $20 to spend, I would skip the wideners and get some all-thread and aluminum tubing, revo rod ends and make some links instead......unless you already have metal links. That would be a more beneficial upgrade then widening the stance.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you have $20 to spend, I would skip the wideners and get some all-thread and aluminum tubing, revo rod ends and make some links instead......unless you already have metal links. That would be a more beneficial upgrade then widening the stance.

Cheers,
Wade
+1 if you haven't already done so
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have tried to find some info on this but to no avail. If anyone has gave them a try I would love to hear how they worked for you. I mostly trail / crawl in fairly dry creek beds in the State Forrest near my house with a few friends. Insane performance isn't a priority whatsoever, mainly I just want something durable and would like it to look good. I am leaning more and more towards a set of RC4WD white steelies though just for plain and simple (hopefully) never have any issues wheels. I have a set of Proline TSL Super Swamper XL 1.9s on their way to me now. I would like to keep the wheels under $60 for the set, but if I can't get something in that range that would be worthwhile I'll just wait and order them when my budget allows. Here are the Xtra Speed wheels I am referring to.

Xtra Speed Aluminum 1 9 inch 6 Spoke Heavy Duty Beadlock Wheel RC Car XS 59560 | eBay

They're about ~$50 shipped for the set.

I currently have a somewhat modded Deadbolt at stock width and wheelbase, so I don't think those tires will rub too much.

Also worth mentioning, if someone has any other suggestions on something that would actually be a better way to spend the last $60 feel free to suggest away (at MAX, it's actually $50 you know how it goes).

Current mods aside from marine grease and such :

Home made metal 4 link front and rear
Weighted front wheels 3 oz each
Cut off bump stops
Home made rear bumper
CMS
Home made diff guards
Lots of mostly home made scale accessory goodies

Thanks in advance for any help!
Quote:

Cheers,
Wade
Quote:
All good suggestions!

Quote:
You could have done the VP hub mod and continued to use them.

Quote:
I really don't recommend wheel wideners. They're just too wide. You'll get a lot of tire drag when turning and it throws the whole steering geometry off.

If you've just ordered some plastic beadlocks then look at ordering a set of 12mm hexes for a Traxxas Slash/Rustler 2WD Fronts. Just get the plastic replacement ones and make sure to get the Fronts. The fronts are 8mm thick (twice as wide as stock, rears are same as stock). You'll get a slightly wider stance without totally jacking your steering up. They're also quite a bit cheaper!

Traxxas 3654 Front Wheel 12 mm Hex Hubs 2 Axle Pins 2 1 10 Slash 2WD | eBay

Proline makes some very nice aluminum ones that you can go to once you have aluminum rims.
On my SCX I run the Stampeded front wheel hexes, just the right width imo.

Here's a great set of steel beadlocks for about $40, I have a couple sets of them in the six lug version and they've been great wheels! I've painted some of these different colors and then baked in my toaster oven to harden the paint, which works great.

Hot Racing 5 Lug 8 hole 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White) (4)

Another good less expensive beadlock option:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pro274715.htm

Last edited by Natedog; 06-10-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What I've found is that when that wheel gets stuck in a rock and you're trying to F/R out of it you'll begin to get some wear to the point where it will ultimately just spin in there.

We need to get away from hex and go to star!
Yes, we need to go to star drive, hexes get loose and strip too easily.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Has anyone tried any "Xtra Speed" beadlocks out? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Xtra aluminum axles" review Gatorbait Axial Wraith 6 03-07-2014 08:37 AM
Blakeski's xtra cab 2nd gen "Ginger" blakeski 1.9 Scale Rigs 58 04-10-2013 01:18 AM