Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First time crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Default First time crawler

Hi everyone - I received my honcho and on Tuesday and took it for a good trail run and some climbing. This is my first RC since I was maybe 12 years old - I'm 32 now... Anyhow wanted to share my experience and thoughts on the honcho. I have read a lot on this site so far about mods I should be doing right away like the 4-link conversion in the rear, battery relocation, the giant list goes on and on

My first mistake was apparently when I ordered. I ordered 2 tenergy 7.2v 3800mah nimh batteries... But my first impressions - wow! I had both batteries charged up and ready to go. Put one in my pocket and hit the trails for almost 2 hours before that battery started to go. And surprisingly it had good power until the last 10 mins or so. So no lipo upgrade for me, not yet anyway lol

A couple problems I need to search and figure out are:

1st i noticed a high squeal pitch sound when the motor runs.
2nd I think I have a front suspension problem already - I'll have to take a video and post... It seems if I pull up on the front it kind of sticks there until u push down hard on it, then it kinda pops...
3rd it's really difficult to take video and run the controller lol I'll post a couple vids when I get home . I need to learn how to use the video software on the wife's Mac!
rage232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First time crawler

The sound is probably normal just ck your pinion gap make sure its not to tight.
The front problem maybe the cross brace hitting the servo-arm. You can grind it down for clearance. I just take them off tho.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Like you, I was 39 when I got my JK, I was tinkering with FPV rc quad copters but people are ruining the FPV flying so I got out while I could still get a good price for my quad. Mine was RTR and other than adding some detail parts all I have done is get some better tires, the metal link kit and a winch. I have not broken anything so fun for the $$ is a double
Sailingeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #4

As to my knowledge with having a lot of various trucks (manufacturers and models) in my running group they all have that high pitch "squeal". Mine does it mostly when I am babying it trying to creep along.
TURBOxN3RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies!! I finally got around to playing with this video edit stuff. Here's my first video of my first time crawling!! (technically 2nd time - a buddy let me crawl with his for about 20 mins or so lol). Again first time for the vid and crawl so be kind I took out the sound b/c my girls are kinda loud and the squeal drives me insane.. and I played twice with the slow motion option, pretty sweet!! I tried to embed a youtube video but not sure what's up with that... Here's the link...

https://youtu.be/kgo0nprRQYg

Last edited by rage232; 08-07-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Youtube won't embed?
rage232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Welcome, I'm pretty much a crawling newbie myself and will simply say I'm well past the half century mark in my life and my rc's make me feel like a twelve year old again.
Only difference is a twelve year with the ability to buy what I want.
Well let me reword that, what my wife allows me to buy.
Welcome once again, may you find as much enjoyment with your truck as I have mine.
billy bones is offline   Reply With Quote

First time crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler. Hinecken Newbie General 15 01-17-2015 05:19 AM
First Time Crawler J_Fitz Axial Wraith 12 03-11-2013 09:10 PM
time to show off your best crawler body/crawler ruda911 Paint and Body 0 01-21-2010 08:45 PM
Time crawler Robby Newbie General 50 04-21-2008 03:05 AM