Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: slow build of a honcho china jk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default slow build of a honcho china jk

so i started out with a honcho that a friend bought that was very neglected, had all the makings for a great long slow build. i wanted to build the ultimate scale truck, and mcrawlinslow added to that with his build (my 2dr china jk with little VP treatment!)

so heres what I'm starting with[IMG][/IMG]

now i ordered the body from asiatees, and while it was a bit pricey due to them being over seas, i am amazed it got here in literally 3days!!! quality is amazing...

i ordered a dual servo mount and front motor/trans mount from gcm, that should hopefully get here in a couple days as well.

so wheelbase for the honcho is around 12 1/4" and I'm going to make my own rear links for now to see if i can get it down to around 11 1/4"

guess thats all for now. will update when i can!

thanks for looking
ny98banshee482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: slow build of a honcho china jk

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my honcho but seems like a lot of work to modify the chassis enough to make this body fit. Will be watching this closely. Keep the updates coming.
jeff22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my honcho but seems like a lot of work to modify the chassis enough to make this body fit. Will be watching this closely. Keep the updates coming.
yea its going to be a slow build due to extreme amounts of overtime at work
and the wife yells when i spend 2much time and money on things other then her lol it dont seem like alot of work, i will be working on links once my GCM parts gets here. might have to cut like a 1/2" off the back of the frame but it again once i get all the links done thatll get done!

wish i could bring my tools and all this stuff to work, but apparently babysitting drug dealers and murders is more important then getting my things done lol
Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

some goodies are starting to come in

got the dual servo mount all bolted up

got my motor and trans bolted up to the plate

looks like i gotta take the dremel to a couple spots where it hits

gotta get a new dremel, apparently mine burnt up when i lent it to a friend, so that will be fridays purchase

and here is the 4 link mount for the rear,

all products are from GCM racing, shipping was fast and quality seems great so far!! more progress when parts start rolling in!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

so got a lil bit more work done on it yesterday and 2day.
got myself another dremel so got this trimmed

so the motor/trans can sit down where it needs to

also got some more things in

got the hardened gears and holmes hobbie crawlmaster locker in

front 3 link and panhard bar getting installed

just gotta finish the rear upper links for the 4 link and button up a couple things and then it should be time to start getting the body mounted and running the electronics etc... also still waiting for the gcm transfer case that should be here this week,
might also order front and rear vanquish axles cus im pretty sure the stock ones have a bit of a bend in them... we shall see how the ot is for the next couple days.

Last edited by ny98banshee482; 11-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

finished up the mock up of the rear links

got the transfer case mocked up as well, idk how i feel about it, i will clean that plate up if i plan on keeping it

need to get the RC4WD punisher shafts for the rear and the shaft that goes from the transfer case to the tranns, since the mips are to long

got the bumpers mounted, need to start trimming the body soon

im pretty sure i figured out where im going to run all the electronics, but i have to find some nice rock sliders for that, still lots to do, but i will be holding off till after the holidays, damn ot and xmas spending puts a hold on my hobby $,

still havent figured out how im going to mount the body to the chassis, ive seen a couple different ideas that i will try, this is my first ever hard body and im soooo afraid to start hacking it up haa but on 1 of my days off that will be the next thing...

still to come,
wheels and tires and lots of scale goodies, winch and paint!
id also like to add a cowl hood with some styrene so ill be trying my hand at that eventually
something like this hopefully
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ok so its been awhile since i posted, not really a whole lot done, between the holidays, working 3rd shift with massive amounts of ot every day, and waiting for parts to come in, but heres what i did, so i got 90mm shocks for the front but with all the weight of the gcm they were very unresponsive and would pretty much not rebound back so i ordered a spring kit and put much heavier duty springs up front, and then in the rear, i put softer 90mm springs in the 80mm shock and that gave it a nice feel. finally got in my custom made scalerfab rock sliders, they are beautiful! also got my wheels and tires all mounted up. and i did alot of body trimming and such
in some of the pics you will see what i did to mount the body, up front i glued stock axial body post that i cut down. they will mount straight to the stock hoops like normal except i will body clip them in from the bottom
and the rear is kinda tough to explain but i think ull get it when u see the pic

ok enough talk on to the pics

rear body pins sit inbetween the frame rails and will get bolted through

here is the front, dont mind the mess of jb weld, that will be sanded and cleaned up b4 paint

got the correct drive shafts lengths in there and it looks pretty good

theres the body on it, i like the way it sits, well thats all for now, next is to figure out how to mount all the electronics where i think i want them lol, should be fun!

slow build of a honcho china jk - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My China made JK Build TriggerMan 1.9 Scale Rigs 52 12-08-2016 07:25 AM
A'nudder China JK build tokdl Axial SCX-10 49 04-28-2016 12:16 PM
The Blacksheep's Honcho build (slow and steady) The-Blacksheep Axial SCX-10 9 01-18-2012 04:53 PM
671 slow honcho build 671_oners Axial SCX-10 2 01-11-2012 03:27 PM