Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Shocks for SCX10-Dingo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #1

Location: cleveland (technically, but really in Mongolia-yes I'm serious)
Default New Shocks for SCX10-Dingo

Hey, I have a SCX10, pretty stock. I was at a competition today, first one ever, and realized, I need better shocks than the stock ones (after coming in second to last). I am on a budget, but I want to increase the eye to eye length to around 100-110mm. I have scoured the threads here and have found some helpful info. So, I wanted to get more specifics. Based on what I read and found, I think there are 3 solid options for me. 1. Traxxas Big Bore Shocks Slash front (here). My issue with these is that though they are a good price, I can't find out how long they are...AT ALL. I've looked everywhere, and it doesn't list their length...anyone know? 2. HPI Racing Shock set 77mm-117mm (here) They're cheap, but they are plastic. And is HPI a good brand? What are your thoughts? And 3. RC4WD King Off Road Shocks 110mm (here). Quality and I think I'd be happy with them...but pricey.
So, interweb crawler friends, which would you get? Or do you have any other suggestions? Again, I'm on a budget so the King's would have to wait a couple of months....Thanks!
jber19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Shocks for SCX10-Dingo

Look at www.asiatees.com they have some good stuff cheap

Plastic shocks are not necessarily bad. There are 3 criteria (that I look at) when looking for parts. 1. Price, 2. Quality, 3. Looks. If you are huge on scale looks then looks might be your number 1 or 2. If $ is a big factor the stock shocks can be fixed up so they don't leak. That should hold you over if the shocks you want are more pricy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by ruinx; 11-08-2015 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Add info
ruinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

What makes you think the stock shocks is the reason you didn't do well in the comp?

In my opinion (and what I've seen), longer shocks will make things worse.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you want longer shocks get a set of wraith shocks the lingth is very close to what your asking for. The price is usually 15. I have wraith ones on my scx10 I put nitro tubing inside to limit the travel there still to big because now I have very little travel (the shock body is to long) IMHO.

Last edited by snapon boy; 11-08-2015 at 10:31 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
"GOD SPEED"

The traxxas 2660 big bore with losi mini t springs and the shock cap mod are perfect for the scx10. I run them on almost all my trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post

I agree...my experience with longer shocks on my rigs has resulted in worse performance in regards to the stock length proline powerstrokes.

I think a setup using longer shocks requires a lot of tuning to get it right. If you're looking for better performance right out of the box, I think you're better off upgrading to a stock length shock (90-95mm). I've had good experience with the prolines.

What is the vehicle doing that leads you to believe longer shocks will fix?
BoilerUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
What makes you think the stock shocks is the reason you didn't do well in the comp?

I second that motion. Stock shocks can be rebuilt not to leak. Spings to tune. Drive time to get better with your rig. If I had to choose from what you want I would go with big bores. The fronts are 3.5 and rear are 4.0. Hope you enjoy your rig, placing in comps is only one aspect of a huge hobby
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I like the proline scalers on my scx. Comparatively, tires or servo upgrades net more noticeable performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #9

Wow, you guys responded fast!!
To answer why I don't think I did well question, it is because I just didn't have the articulation nor the height. So, I figured perhaps I need longer shocks. One guy at the comp suggested I need bigger (larger outer diameter) tires. I could, but then I'm looking at getting new rims (landies) that are 1.55 inside diameter (here) and either of these two tires (here and here)

Would that help?

Second, my shocks aren't leaking...I just think I need longer ones. Not too long, (I've seen some that look ridiculous). Just something to give me more height. Another guy at the comp suggested I get rid of the stock front bumper altogether. But, I definitely don't want to do that as it does help protect everything and it looks somewhat scale.

Looking scale isn't a main priority, but I also don't want some of the rigs that look like an RC car....Ultimately, I'd love a hard plastic Land Rover body on this thing

So based on that, what tips do you guys have? Wraith shocks good? Or should I try to figure something else out? Let me know and thanks!!

Oh, one more thing, I'm not terribly concerned about winning, I want to have fun...I just don't want to come in last!
Old 11-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jber19 View Post
Wow, you guys responded fast!!
To answer why I don't think I did well question, it is because I just didn't have the articulation nor the height. So, I figured perhaps I need longer shocks. One guy at the comp suggested I need bigger (larger outer diameter) tires. I could, but then I'm looking at getting new rims (landies) that are 1.55 inside diameter (here) and either of these two tires (here and here)

Would that help?

Second, my shocks aren't leaking...I just think I need longer ones. Not too long, (I've seen some that look ridiculous). Just something to give me more height. Another guy at the comp suggested I get rid of the stock front bumper altogether. But, I definitely don't want to do that as it does help protect everything and it looks somewhat scale.

Looking scale isn't a main priority, but I also don't want some of the rigs that look like an RC car....Ultimately, I'd love a hard plastic Land Rover body on this thing

So based on that, what tips do you guys have? Wraith shocks good? Or should I try to figure something else out? Let me know and thanks!!

Oh, one more thing, I'm not terribly concerned about winning, I want to have fun...I just don't want to come in last!
you might want to read THIS and THIS also (articulation)
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #11

Oh, one last thing, the steering servo is a Hitec HS-5646WP Digital Waterproof HV MG Dual BB Servo and does a great job!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
you might want to read THIS and THIS also (articulation)
OK, this was super super super helpful. My thinking was way off...I thought the softer the better, but this make so much more sense.
So based on this, what would you all recommend I do first? New tires (which for me means new rims)? And if so, which ones?
Also, am I looking at new shocks anyhow? Which springs would you recommend and what weight oil?
Lots of questions, I know, but you guys are really helping me out!

One last thing, I have all the electronics and battery in the front of the car, nothing in the back...thoughts?
Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The stock ones aren't bad. They also aren't the greatest. A nice alternative might be the Boomracing Type-1 shocks. I know some guys who have good experiences with them whilst they are still very affordable ( $20,- a pair). They come in various lenghts (and colors) and A'tees gives a warranty on 'm.

Boom Racing Boomerang Type I Aluminum Internal Shocks Set 90MM (2) Blue BRSI0090
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote

New Shocks for SCX10-Dingo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally put the Dingo together ? about shocks xxx123 Axial SCX-10 2 08-12-2013 08:16 PM
shocks for dingo Chodey24 Axial SCX-10 4 07-25-2012 07:36 AM
SCX10 Dingo Solitaire Axial SCX-10 5 12-06-2011 12:30 AM
hb 120mm shocks on a dingo dalton2224 Axial SCX-10 4 08-26-2010 04:55 PM