Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New SSD D60 CMS Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
SSD
RCC Addict

Default New SSD D60 CMS Kit

This kit is for our D60 axle. However, it is also compatible with our older CMS kit for the stock Axial axle panhard mount. So you can mix the old and new kits if you already have it.

D60 Chassis Mounted Servo kit for SCX10
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New SSD D60 CMS Kit

Looks great
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I love that this was designed with high steer knuckles in mind! I was just asking about that.

I'm not an expert in CMS geometry, so this may be a dumb question. Forgive me. Does the angle of the steering link in this picture cause any potential issues? I think I understand that the steering and panhard links should be the same length and at the same angle to minimize bump steer, but I'm not sure if they need to stay parallel (or as close to it as the servo sweeps) in that orientation (versus the head on view, where they do appear to be parallel).

JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I love that this was designed with high steer knuckles in mind! I was just asking about that.

I'm not an expert in CMS geometry, so this may be a dumb question. Forgive me. Does the angle of the steering link in this picture cause any potential issues? I think I understand that the steering and panhard links should be the same length and at the same angle to minimize bump steer, but I'm not sure if they need to stay parallel (or as close to it as the servo sweeps) in that orientation (versus the head on view, where they do appear to be parallel).
X2, love that it was designed with high steer in mind.

Should be ok, but the big thing I see is that the pitman arm (in this case the servo horn) should pivot at the rear and the drag-link should be forward of the servo output shaft. This makes it so that the knuckles and pitman arm (servo horn) both have their pivot points behind their linkage mounts if that makes sense. The axle housing, tie-rod, and knuckles steering arms all form a parallelogram.

As pictured, this kit does not do this and ime provides less than optimal steering especially at or near full steering lock. Any kit that sets up steering this way is far from optimal, so I'm really puzzled why they did it this way?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
SSD
RCC Addict

The reason why it's like this is because of the need to put the servo at the front (for the new front motor scale trans). The servo horn is positioned to clear the axle, the frame, tie rod and be in the correct place to give the correct angle (from the front). It's not perfectly parallel from above but there is no noticable bump steer.

The servo can't be further forward otherwise bumper mounts won't fit.

In reality ALL CMS kits have a tiny bit of bump steer. As soon as you steer a bit the angles are not optimal, different servo brands have different dimensions that raise or lower the servo horn etc... There are many variables, the panhard and drag link are usually only optimal in one spot.

Last edited by SSD; 08-04-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I figured this was to make room for that awesome looking new transmission.

It seems like the ideal solution for my rig would be the older servo mount with the new links. That gets pricey though. Hmmm.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
SSD
RCC Addict

We are going to make the bent links available soon. It turns out they also fit the SCX10 II when used with one of our long rod ends.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
The reason why it's like this is because of the need to put the servo at the front (for the new front motor scale trans). The servo horn is positioned to clear the axle, the frame, tie rod and be in the correct place to give the correct angle (from the front). It's not perfectly parallel from above but there is no noticable bump steer.

The servo can't be further forward otherwise bumper mounts won't fit.

In reality ALL CMS kits have a tiny bit of bump steer. As soon as you steer a bit the angles are not optimal, different servo brands have different dimensions that raise or lower the servo horn etc... There are many variables, the panhard and drag link are usually only optimal in one spot.
Thanks, there's not a lot of room under there to work with. I messed with this on my SCX and my Ascender, changing panhard length, location etc. and one small change leads to at least one or two other changes and can soon run out of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I figured this was to make room for that awesome looking new transmission.

It seems like the ideal solution for my rig would be the older servo mount with the new links. That gets pricey though. Hmmm.
Makes sense.

Yes, saw that hot looking new tranny SSD offers.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

New SSD D60 CMS Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD D60 axle question Truckmechanic304 Axial SCX-10 6 05-28-2016 02:13 PM
Ssd d60 housing Bmxreeves General Crawlers 11 05-17-2016 01:18 PM