Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drive shaft issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Drive shaft issues

OK so I'm running a mildly modded scx10 with various alloy bits an bobs and a brushless 9t on 2s. I've got the power turned down so I don't get fast speeds just enough to get me out of trouble. My problem is I've got alloy CVDS and the front one at the gearbox comes off with alarming regularity ! Any thoughts ? Anyone else had this problem? I've filed the shaft from the gearbox so it's properly flat where the grubs crew meets the shaft and threadlocked everything but it still comes undone . Only happens to the front, never the rear ? I'm quite perplexed......
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Drive shaft issues

Pics would help. But, it seems that one of your mistakes was mismatching several off brand parts. What I gathered is that you have many mismatched off brand parts. Post some pics and I'll try to help:-)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
K.C.'s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Are we talking the drive shaft or the cvd in the axle??? have you tried blue loctite on the grub screw close to the tranny?
RustedRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedRC View Post
Are we talking the drive shaft or the cvd in the axle??? have you tried blue loctite on the grub screw close to the tranny?
I think the whole drive shaft.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
K.C.'s RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

switch your trans outputs to the thru hole design instead of the grub screw design, little dab of blue loctite and no more coming apart...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

none of my tranny outputs have a hole. all i use is blue loctite and make sure there tight. wait overnight for the loctite to dry before you run your truck and see if that helps.
also make sure the cross pins are aligned (meaning if the one close to the axle is pointing up then the one by the tranny must be up) helps stop drive shaft wobble if you shafts are in phase.
if that don't help out then i second what allanon1965 said.

Last edited by RustedRC; 08-13-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: because i can
RustedRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Using an trans output machined from a sufficiently hardened steel will help.
The stock axial outputs are so soft a tight grub screw will actually wear the clamping spot slightly and then get loose allowing the screw to work loose again. (Even with loctite I've found.)

That said, the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster tranny output shaft is amazing, has through holes, and I've never had a through pin come loose with that setup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Using an trans output machined from a sufficiently hardened steel will help.
The stock axial outputs are so soft a tight grub screw will actually wear the clamping spot slightly and then get loose allowing the screw to work loose again. (Even with loctite I've found.)

That said, the Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster tranny output shaft is amazing, has through holes, and I've never had a through pin come loose with that setup.

The stock non pin outputs are junk. Robinson non pin lower gears aren't much better as they mushroom under the grub screw too. I used to have grub screws coming out constantly on my non pin in/outputs even with loctite. I started cleaning the threads with acetone and a thread tap prior to being reinstalled.

I have an older non pin HR one piece lower gear that is much harder than robinson and it hasn't come loose once. I had a set of holmes outputs but once I realized the HR gear wasn't going to fail I sold them to a friend. It looked like a good piece.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Grinding the opposing side flat with another set screw as well does wonders. The only ones that truly sucked were the hollow stockers.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:34 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've ground the side flat, and am using blue loctite which has dried over night, it's a stock axial gear shaft thing but the cvds are boom racing. Never had any problems with them in my over powered wraith mudder. Hmmmm
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
OK so I'm running a mildly modded scx10 with various alloy bits an bobs and a brushless 9t on 2s. I've got the power turned down so I don't get fast speeds just enough to get me out of trouble. My problem is I've got alloy CVDS and the front one at the gearbox comes off with alarming regularity ! Any thoughts ? Anyone else had this problem? I've filed the shaft from the gearbox so it's properly flat where the grubs crew meets the shaft and threadlocked everything but it still comes undone . Only happens to the front, never the rear ? I'm quite perplexed......

Here is the fix TorqueMaster Outdrive for Axial Transmission - 2 piece - Drivetrain or you could use this one TorqueMaster Outdrive for Axial Transmission - Drivetrain good luck!!!
myjrbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive shaft issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best way to join a rwvo drive shaft to the output shaft on the axle TRAV Kyosho Crawlers 12 01-29-2012 07:37 PM
lnc drive shaft issues thundaar Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 04-03-2011 12:36 AM
Honcho drive shaft issues yodacralwer89 Axial SCX-10 9 01-05-2011 06:51 PM
Stock Ax10: having front drive shaft issues...do they make xxx TOYOTAS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 11-28-2008 09:44 AM