Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: I just I noticed that when I steer my front tires push steer really bad. I just insta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Default I just I noticed that when I steer my front tires push steer really bad. I just insta

If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Slashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: I just I noticed that when I steer my front tires push steer really bad. I just i

normal for locked differentials...underdrive gears in the rear will help but not get rid of it, overdrive in the front and underdrive in the rear will help more but still not get rid of it and that setup on grippy surfaces will cause the crawler to squat down in front as it rolls forward and raise in the front as it backs up. this is not noticed on trails or rocks or loose dirt..

bottom line is it will never go away unless you go to an open diff in the front and that is not best for a crawler
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: I just I noticed that when I steer my front tires push steer really bad. I just i

Are you referring to the general poor steering radius of the truck or the way your front tires angle funny when turning? If it's the former, then the above post covers it. If it's the latter, then it's due to the links on either the top or the bottom being the wrong length. I'd suggest adjust that so your c hubs (this is most visible with the tires off the truck) are perpendicular to the ground.
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

That's why I went with underdrive gears in the rear.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

I have found that running a zero ackermann steering knuckle with just a couple degrees of toe out helps this issue since it will let the front tires track more in the direction they want to even on grippy surfaces. Upgrading your c-hubs to aluminum, along with these two items is about the cheapest and easiest way to do it. I have had no issues with these steering knuckles on my rig.

Axial SCX10 Front Hub Steering Conversion Kit

https://www.amainhobbies.com/vanquis...s06739/p248496

The steering link included with the knuckles is a soft aluminum and bends easy and isnt the correct length for an scx10. The vanquish one is titanium and contoured so it wont interfere with the front of the diff housing. One thing to be aware of is that you may need to also get some wheel hexes that will widen the track width or your front tire will rub on the link end and knuckles. Just the one downside to a zero ackermann setup with this truck.
TheD1ngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Y'all haven't even talked about caster! It's cause you probably have too much negative caster. Ie, steering knuckles arms are pointing down into the ground. Aftermarket C-Hubs or shortening the upper links will correct it.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Y'all haven't even talked about caster! It's cause you probably have too much negative caster. Ie, steering knuckles arms are pointing down into the ground. Aftermarket C-Hubs or shortening the upper links will correct it.
I did but I neglected to use the proper terminology, I'm usually pretty good about that, oops. From the pictures it does look like he has some fairly significant negative caster which definitely would NOT help his steering.
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

And if one took the axles apart to grease them and or instal HD gears, double check that you put the C hubs on the correct sides. Swapping them around will immediately ruin caster. I have done this many times when in a hurry or wrenching while tired.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote

I just I noticed that when I steer my front tires push steer really bad. I just insta - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 bad cms bump steer sanny632 Axial SCX-10 17 04-06-2014 05:02 PM
front and rear steer? dostacos Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 03-12-2013 12:43 AM
Axial XR10 aluminum high steer knuckles?good or bad HillbillyCrawler Axial Wraith 9 07-22-2011 12:01 PM
Will Vanquish Axial High Steer Steering Knuckles make my truck steer tighter? blue bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-09-2009 12:30 AM
rear steer OR front digs intheworks Newbie General 36 03-18-2008 10:30 AM