Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Gave my G6 a make-over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gave my G6 a make-over

I bought the body in the classifieds, already painted yellow on the outside, and it was fine. I'd have probably left it, but it started flaking off and showing the green / blue underneath and was bugging me. I'm partial to white anyway, so dove in after it.

Had it apart anyway, putting Black Friday goodies in it. Installed Schedule 80 (.080" wall) 1/8" brass pipe nipple DIY tubes in the rear axle, already had them in the front, FI Heavy Spools and OT Rear Shafts from LockedUp RC, silver 8-hole Axial wheels and Gear Head #8 Beadlock Rings with the centers cut out. Those things are very brittle btw, so take care if you ever get any.

I tried to spray over the yellow paint but it just bubbled up, so I said screw it, and sprayed it with Rust-Oleum Aircraft Paint Stripper, let it sit about 5 min and wiped the old paint right off. It did make the lexan real hazy, bit I was painting the outside anyway so it didn't matter.

Sprayed the first coat silver, then topped with white. I want it to "wear & weather" like a 1:1 would. Sprayed the fender flares, front & rear, with Rust-Oleum Bedliner Spray so the texture would match. Used pinstripe from Advanced Auto for the stripes, kinda old school Renegade. Wanted Renegade hood decals, but just ordered Rubicon decal sheets from Proline to get it done so I can get it back out in the dirt. Really pleased with how it turned out, but not sure the stripes are going to stay on long, they seem to want to peel.

Last edited by number9; 12-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gave my G6 a make-over

Your G6 looks great. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So the proline sticker sheet did match the G6 dimensions? Or did you source a g6 sticker sheet for the lights and grill? I only ask because I too have a falken edition G6 and it needs a redo badly.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nope, just the Proline sheet. Proline has 3 Rubicon bodies and each one has its own sticker sheet. I ordered the sheet for Product ID : 3405-00. I don’t remember or didn’t measure the exact size of the factory stickers that I peeled off, but the Proline stickers worked fine, for me anyway.
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice looking rig, I have used the front currie flare on my g6 bodies. Follow the hood line for placement. I used a heat gun the straighten the flair. I might get a rear flair .... I like the look.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Gave my G6 a make-over - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave away my XR-10 hootie Colorado 4 09-04-2010 10:53 PM
Gave up on the Creeper :( warDialer Venom Creeper 11 07-30-2009 11:52 PM
Finally Gave in and Bought a Slash... and gave it some Monster Energy flair Lumpmister Non Crawler RC's 9 07-13-2008 01:10 PM
this gave me chills clodstall Chit Chat 36 12-21-2007 10:47 AM
gave them one last try GeoffSFAs10 General Crawlers 14 06-14-2006 08:11 PM