Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10ii Shock woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10ii Shock woes

Hi all, wondering if someone can educate me on how to build the shocks so they cycle properly.

I purchased the kit against my better judgement but I've wanted to build a kit since my last couple Tamiya's many years ago.

I built them per the instructions, got all the air out, filled them up and put the caps on. However when I try to get them to cycle, it's like they are just hydro locked. I can get about 1/2" out of them and then no matter how hard I try to push on them they will NOT cycle.

It seems like the valving is way too small for the weight of oil but I am by no means a pro. I had issues with traxxas big bores years ago too so i'm not ruling out user error.

I'm just finally making good progress on it so I really want these things to work so I can move on with the build!

Thanks in advance, I know you guys will steer me in the right direction.

I much prefer the look of these over the blue Kings at my LHS but i'm tempted to buy those instead since at least they are assembled and should work.

Last edited by Tuna; 02-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10ii Shock woes

Ok your best bet is to watch a YouTube vid if you learn well like that. But I'll make it simple First fill the shock up with oil and make shure no bubbles, then put the bottom spring retainer on without a spring (I'll explain why later) but with the spring retainer on the shock shaft put it all the way up and wipe off all of the poured out oil, next put on cap. Done. The reason it hydrolocks is because the shock shaft takes up volume when it enters the body, thus making there less room for oil so it stops. Pretty simple hope this helps.
Evan Harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Harich View Post
Ok your best bet is to watch a YouTube vid if you learn well like that. But I'll make it simple First fill the shock up with oil and make shure no bubbles, then put the bottom spring retainer on without a spring (I'll explain why later) but with the spring retainer on the shock shaft put it all the way up and wipe off all of the poured out oil, next put on cap. Done. The reason it hydrolocks is because the shock shaft takes up volume when it enters the body, thus making there less room for oil so it stops. Pretty simple hope this helps.
You're right! that is simple thanks. need to account for the volume needed for the shock shaft. Thanks will try that tomorrow and hopefully that's all it is.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

fill them up about 3/4 of the way, push the shock shaft up slowly allowing any air bubbles to escape...when the shock shaft is fully compressed, fill the shock to about an 1/8 inch from the top and screw the cap on...you should be able to then cycle the shock. if you can, the install the spring and bottom cup.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #5

You will probably be refilling them after every session so you will soon get the hang of it. I built one for my son and they had almost emptied out before we got it out of the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Also take a look at Post #36 on this page:

bilinvic's SCX10.2 Build Ver. 2

And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppf-...VTHH0&index=11

~D

Last edited by Say what?; 02-07-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Say what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks all, took Evans advice and worked like a charm. will leave them on the bench overnight. hopefully no leaking.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

When I setup my crawler shocks what I do is fill them get the air out then top them off and place the cap on loosely. Then I push the shock together and let all the extra fluid come out. Them tighten the cap. Sometimes I have to do this twice but this has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10ii Shock woes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TR Dingo woes meanbgreen Electronics 16 09-18-2011 09:32 PM
CC Sidewinder woes neiloid1 Electronics 6 01-26-2011 04:23 AM
Driveshaft woes... scaryfast12 General Crawlers 23 11-16-2008 12:49 AM