Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: New SSD Pro44 Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New SSD Pro44 Axles

I guess xr width would be fine but I personally think narrowed axles would sell better. Either way I think they will be a niche product for custom builds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #202
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Yes the portal units were ready along time ago actually. A few months delay due to late tube design change by me. But a necessary change.

This is exciting.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #203
Quarry Creeper

Wait.........What??? SSD Portals???? For the AR44??? What did i miss???
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #204
Quarry Creeper

SSD : I was looking for XR width for C3. You're diamonds/AR44 gear is just so good and sized well that I think it would be great.

Initially I came about this issue as I was building a C2 rig with your axles then mid way decided to change it to C3 but obviously have a lot of gear. I need the extra width to allow the full steering with large tyre combo I want to run - rather than adding extenders that mess the arc up. I guess it could always be used on another project but seemed a shame. That said, if the portals are imminent and reasonably priced I could possibly work that on a Unimog project.

As to hubs etc, I initially assumed it would be XR/wraith type stuff with XR shafts. With that said, your weighted hubs etc are rather good and would possibly help in your line up... Then its working shafts out.

Last edited by stimpy; 08-19-2018 at 05:07 PM.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #205

I have bought the SSD portal knuckles and rear portal axle for my SCX10 II. I have taken it out for trailing 3 times, the 1st time, everything was fine, the second time, one plastic axle tube was broken and it caused the shock shaft and lower link to break too. The 3rd time, both two plastic axle tubes were broken and I was exhausted in this problem.

I am strongly request SSD to provide metal axle tube for the rear portal axle. I really don’t want to break the plastic axle per each run. I took my truck for hiking, and the axle was broken in the mid way, I needed to take the truck walking for more than one hour to the destination, it is not fun .....

PHP Code:
[CODE][/CODE
Quote:
Ok I did do some work on different width tubes but came to a halt for a few reasons:

AR60 Width tubes
As the upper link mounts are integrated into the center sections, for AR60 use they would be in the wrong place and also clashed a little with where it should be.
So would need to cut them off the housing and also make a new upper link mount. Unfortunately removing the current upper mounts meant there isn't much left to attach a new upper link mount to.
I decided it was too messy and probably unreliable. So AR60 tubes aborted.

XR Width tubes
There are a few questions that need answering before starting these really:
What front axle shafts/CVDs will you want to use? XR/AR60 size CVDs or AR44 size?
This will determine what knuckle and C hub the XR width tubes should fit.

If using AR60 C hubs then a new AR60 C hub with panhard mount is needed to work on the SCX10 II chassis.

If using AR44 C hubs then new XR width front axle shafts/CVDs are needed.

Is XR width even that popular anymore?

So now you can see why different width tubes is not as simple as it sounds.

Last edited by rchyam; 01-20-2019 at 09:34 AM.
rchyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #206

Quote:
Yes the portal units were ready along time ago actually. A few months delay due to late tube design change by me. But a necessary change.

I have bought the SSD portal knuckles and rear portal axle for my SCX10 II. I have taken it out for trailing 3 times, the 1st time, everything was fine, the second time, one plastic axle tube was broken and it caused the shock shaft and lower link to break too. The 3rd time, both two plastic axle tubes were broken and I was exhausted in this problem.

I am strongly request SSD to provide metal axle tube for the rear portal axle. I really don’t want to break the plastic axle per each run. I took my truck for hiking, and the axle was broken in the mid way, I needed to take the truck walking for more than one hour to the destination, it is not fun .....
rchyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #207
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchyam View Post

SSD mentioned NOT using the portals with plastic axle housings. Theres to much torque in the portal for the plastic. Ive upgraded to metal axles n really looking to add portals myself

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #208
Quarry Creeper

So far so good. I am most definitely putting the axles to the test. One suggestion is to include the hardware for the link mounts. Especially now that the one piece axles are more prevalent and dont come with that off-size hardware. Lucky I had some that worked. Great quality and nice low weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
So far so good. I am most definitely putting the axles to the test. One suggestion is to include the hardware for the link mounts. Especially now that the one piece axles are more prevalent and dont come with that off-size hardware.

If you buy the complete axle kits the link mounts and screws come with it.
If you buy the center section and tubes, link mounts and Chubs are not part of it. The first gen axles came with red plastic link mounts.
Thats too many variations to plan for. What link mounts dont come with screws? My VP ones did.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #210
Quarry Creeper

I bought the RBK. So I didnt have link mounts. Got some stock ones from a buddy. Not complaining. Like the axle a lot

wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

Would love to see a scale option for these awesome pro44 axles. Like offset pumpkin. Just change the lengths of the axle tubes. Sell the tubes with a pair of modified axle shafts also. And maybe just a solid tube without provision for the link mounts, so you could use leaf springs... PLEASE!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote

New SSD Pro44 Axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ssd pro44 axle redemon Chit Chat 36 10-07-2017 06:15 AM
SSD Pro44? 4RunnerKid Axial SCX10 II 5 10-06-2017 03:28 AM
SSD Axles GravelDuster Axial SCX-10 2 12-19-2015 10:10 AM