Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Ring and pinion gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ring and pinion gears

Hey everyone. I apologize if this has already been covered, but I searched this sub-forum and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm building a set of 10.2 axles for my C2 rig. Is there a major difference between the stock R&P, vanquish, or SSD units. I know others make them but I doubt the quality or hardness.

Did other companies start making these because Axial couldn't keep up with demand, or is there another reason? I vaguely remember reading about some soft aftermarket ones but can't seem to find that thread either.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ring and pinion gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Hey everyone. I apologize if this has already been covered, but I searched this sub-forum and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm building a set of 10.2 axles for my C2 rig. Is there a major difference between the stock R&P, vanquish, or SSD units. I know others make them but I doubt the quality or hardness.

Did other companies start making these because Axial couldn't keep up with demand, or is there another reason? I vaguely remember reading about some soft aftermarket ones but can't seem to find that thread either.
I have tried a few different brands and the only one that stands out is the Boom racing gears. I have been running the snot out of them and there are no issues with wear. The thing that makes these stand out is that the ring and locker are keyed, no worries of the three 2x8 bolts snapping. I know some people have not had the issue of snapped bolts, but I went through over 2 dozen in my three trucks before finding these. They also sell just the ring and pinion without the locker so when they do wear out, you don't have to purchase the spool again. Get these and it will be like the infomercial says, "Set it, and forget it!".
http://www.boomracingrc.com/axial/sc...44-axle-141127

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
I have tried a few different brands and the only one that stands out is the Boom racing gears. I have been running the snot out of them and there are no issues with wear. The thing that makes these stand out is that the ring and locker are keyed, no worries of the three 2x8 bolts snapping. I know some people have not had the issue of snapped bolts, but I went through over 2 dozen in my three trucks before finding these. They also sell just the ring and pinion without the locker so when they do wear out, you don't have to purchase the spool again. Get these and it will be like the infomercial says, "Set it, and forget it!".
Axial SCX10 II Heavy Duty Keyed Bevel Helical Gear 30/8T + Differential Locker Spool Set For AR44 Axle

I'm new to the AR44 axles but not new to crawling and building by a long shot. I also went with the BOOM Racing locker / R&P because of the keyed in locker and they're butter smooth in the Pro44 axles I just built to put under my Class 2 build. The design is superior to any other locker / R&P combo out there.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here is my original post.
Boom Racing bevel and spool

Shawns303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

in my opinion and obviously the opinion of some others too. boom racings design is by far superior.

that being said i am running vanquish gears in my 10.2 f9 housings
(because i got them for free during their promo they had going) and they are hands down the most ridiculously butter smooth gears ive ran in 8+ years of rc crawling.

- though durability wise i only have 3 packs through them. so hard to say
Shafty_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have a pair of Deadlocs that have 3 comps on them and they are clicking like crazy.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 12-14-2017 at 05:37 PM.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

resurrecting an old post but i didn't believe it was necessary to create a new topic on an old subject, yesterday i was in a trail with some friends and my rig under certain high load situations skips a tooth, later at home i disassembled and the ring and pinion has severe wear on them, i upgraded the 3 tiny screws with Protek ones some time ago but i think that they just quit under the abuse of a ROc412 HD and big 1.9 Proline boggers and a happy trigger driver, here's a video of the ring and pinion, those are Axial ring and pinion:

Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote

Ring and pinion gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helical ring and pinion gears sets with an offset pinion? Calderwood General Crawlers 6 09-14-2013 09:06 PM
TLT ring and pinion gears? trost Chit Chat 3 02-19-2007 12:32 PM