Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt

That grille looks good and I like the windshield too.

Took it for a short romp. This thing is a hoot on 3s. Donuts are easy due to low cg.

Poser shot

Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Gotta get the kid to learn when/where the wheel speed is good but she’s a quick learner. These big tires are like crawler training wheels.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #23
Slow is the new Fast

Lookin good Phil. The grill you made looks pretty cool in your photo. I especially like the caged light covers, did you install the buckets as well?

I too, have always like the Deadbolt body. While I have never picked up the 1/10th scale version, I do have the same green Deadbolt in a 1/24th. It looks like it’s meant to be run hard. It’s mean and it’s green
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Thanks Smog. There aren’t any buckets, those are screw covers flipped over and painted silver with a clear lens in the center behind the mesh. I will put a light bar on the new bumper when it gets here so don’t really need functioning headlights.

She wanted it dirty so we airbrushed it with flat tan transparent. Harder to see on this body color but it took the super glossy edge off without going overboard.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I’ll get some photos tomorrow but I lowered the body quite a bit. Channeled the rear so it sits down into the bumper and the front rests right on the bumper. I trimmed a small corner off the back of the front fenders where it was making contact, hopefully that’s enough as I’m not wanting to hack this body up like the Enduro. Shouldn’t need to since it is pinched and the axles are now really wide.

Also took the wheels back off and put blue loctite on the studs, the fronts were already loose from one run. It actually backed out enough on one side to spit the pin out so we were 3 wheeling towards the end. The enduro does that a little but it must be exaggerated with the faster wheel speed on this rig. Going to loctite the other truck tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Took random indoor glam shots of this one too. Body is nice and low. Sits even lower with the battery in it. Pardon headless driver, painting helmet red per jr’s request.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #27
RCC Addict

As mentioned notched the rear a little. Note vanity tags. She wanted the Harley sticker and was bummed that it doesn’t reference the moto.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Flexy Friday swagger. It’s not as limber as the Enduro. Could be the poopy shocks. I want some desert lizards for it just because I think they are cool looking with the internal spring.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
RCC Addict

2.5 miles this morning. Mostly dirt trail, some rocks, some logs. My Enduro was gasping for air after 1.75 miles on a 2s 5200 pack, this rig was running strong the whole way on 3s. Enough difference that I may try to sell these 2s packs and buy 2 more of the 3s. Anyways, random shot, didn’t take a lot of pics, was too busy “driving”

Old 01-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Cool shot from the end of the trail. This is Guana/Talamato Preserve if you are familiar with Ponte Vedra Florida. Cool trail system, but mostly flat like the rest of Florida. This section of trail terminates at the Intracoastal Waterway and is very pretty. Mosquitoes are pretty bad in summer though.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #31
RCC Addict

The “beach”. There’s a sandy stretch around the bend from here but my girl was too cold to go down there. Around 45 degrees, that’s frozen to us thin blooded FL natives

Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Added that crappy approach angle mod. But looks cool. Removed the roof lights because they are too big/too tall/ just silly imo. Looks pretty mean from the side.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Another view. Just a Chinesium booger weld unit with equally cheap winch slapped on it. Didn’t run the lights because Axial was too cheap to accommodate for them on this particular model. Moving the CRC bumper it came with to the rear of the Enduro because it’s perfect width and length.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Looks a lot better without the roof lights, digging that front bumper too
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Thanks. I think I am going to focus on this rig for a minute instead of the Enduro since it is running on 3s in 12 year old hands. As in upgrade a few wear/tear items. I want to keep it light so not really interested in dumping a bazillion ounces of brass on it. But need to address the dog bones up front, not sure what all options I have so reading up. I have a servo but not replacing it until this one poops the bed.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Meh looks like the SSD universals are cheaper than the Axial version, will probably go that route. Can someone chime in if they know this: are the universals just better for steering, or are they more durable? If it's primarily a steering upgrade I may do C hubs first, just looking at the front end I feel either those or the panhard mount will break first.

EDIT: upon further inspection my SCX10 is a dogbone setup, I suspect the original 10 year old axles, and they are fine except some minimal 'wallowing' where the cross pin goes through. Which leads me to believe the greater impact will be on steering angle. Will prolly do the c hubs first. I should have talked Junior into the freaking Cherokee and got the universals/metal gears/better radio out of the box. Live and learn.

Last edited by Phildirt; 01-15-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I'm glad I can walk through this SCX10ii journey, talk to myself, and learn everything the rest of the forum learned 5 years ago. I figure at this rate I'll have useful advice by around 2035.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

One of the first upgrades I did on my OG Deadbolt was get rid of the dogbones. I remembered from my racing days years ago how bad they sucked! I ended up getting the SSD plastic axle housings and adding universals to them.

I think the SSD universals would be a great choice. They will add more steering and be more durable. The slop that the dogbones creates in the outdrives over time drives me crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Kind of fun to learn things in this hobby. Like 'dogbone' did not register before and now I'm looking at the design and while it is indeed caveman simple comparing it to the universals on the Enduro it is just silly looking as far as functional/scale. I suppose it was the next big thing at one point though.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

n00b question(s) alert. Sorry in advance for the thread hijack

why are dogbones so hated over universials? Any other reasons than what B-MOW said?
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phildirt’s Jeep Phildirt Axial SCX-10 68 05-10-2021 08:01 PM
Phildirt’s Element Enduro Trailwalker Phildirt Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 419 03-21-2021 10:00 PM
Axial scx24 deadbolt beefed up vs stock deadbolt Rcing4life Scale Videos! 0 08-13-2020 07:55 PM
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Deadbolt SCX10ii - Dazed and confused Flattie Axial SCX10 II 16 11-19-2018 08:47 PM