Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Did the price of the Builder Kit go up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

Default Did the price of the Builder Kit go up?

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research lately to decide my first step into RC.

I've looked for an unassembled kit to start with as I have virtually no knowledge about RC (I'm OK at following instructions though). So, I think I would learn a lot by putting everything together. I've settled on the SCX10II Raw Builder Kit when suddenly today when I check back the price has gone up from $199 to $240!

Is there any upgrade that could justify for the rise in price? If not, it really sucks! I have not checked all but I think none of the other brands has increased their price.

I know you guys know better than me. So please help me find a good reason to stick with the kit. Otherwise, though I can afford even more than such amount, I don't like any brands that raise price without good reason while others keep pushing the price lower for the benefit of us customers.

Cheers.
Cheapskate Modeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Did the price of the Builder Kit go up?

https://nitrohobbies.com/axi90104/

Get it while they have it

I could be wrong but I think 239.99 was the normal msrp but most shops were selling it at 199.99. Also the demand for these things is crazy too and the supply is not all that great at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by SCX10 JK; 08-05-2021 at 08:14 AM.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I just ordered mine from Summit Racing $199
1FSTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The price on every axial kit and rtr went up $30-40. It’s happening across all brands. So yea hurry and find one for the lower price before everyone catches on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

Horizon had an across the board price hike. Raw Builder's kit is now $239.
Kemora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemora View Post

^^This. Big price hikes yet again from HH not just kits but parts, electronics pretty much everything. Traxxas also not too long ago. Apparently overseas shipping costs have gone way up and material, electronics and parts shortages worldwide are driving up the cost of everything. Getting to be a VERY expensive hobby.

Last edited by NickelPlate; 08-05-2021 at 12:55 PM.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #7

Yes, it did go up $40, with no upgrades. The price doesn't really make it worth it to get anymore IMHO. I just got my 10ii a few months ago, and the quality of it could definitely be better. All four shocks have leaked at least a quarter of the oil it holds (performs decently though), the plastics used are very brittle and soft (especially the rod ends of the links and pivot balls; screws are very hard to screw in on the transmission casing), and the helical gears (in the axles) bind pretty bad to the point the motor pulses under quarter throttle. I will say, that Axial did do a good job of designing its layout, as it crawls very well, has a very low CG, the droop in the shock setting is pretty good, and the kit didn't have any serious issues being put together, but seriously, it's a fairly old platform, so making some adjustments to refine it would definitely help (especially with the helical gears).

Element's new Enduro Builder's Kit 2 is just $10 more (original kit same price) and has much better shocks, higher quality suspension links (with metal instead of plastic pivot balls on the 10ii; bent for higher clearance compared to the straight ones on the 10ii), tuneable overdrive (10ii only has 3 gear fixed), stronger and stiffer plastics, and overall a smoother drivetrain. Of course, the 10ii has more aftermarket parts, but the Element also has decent aftermarket support and requires way fewer upgrades.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/element...qctqkqycqrqctz

Just my opinion, though.

Last edited by RCWilly; 08-05-2021 at 03:32 PM.
RCWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks to Creepy joe and all who voted for him. BIDENFLATION��
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
Thanks to Creepy joe and all who voted for him. BIDENFLATION��
☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻☝🏻

Gotta love these gas prices too.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
Thanks to Creepy joe and all who voted for him. BIDENFLATIONí*½í¸

As much as Joe sucks, please tell me how he’s responsible for international containers cost skyrocket from 2k to 20 k ?

Now back to RC?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemora View Post
20% price increase is pretty extreme. I’d like to get a builders kit to scavenge for a lcg build with a G3 chassis, but the new Enduro builders kit V2 is now much more appealing than the Axial, especially given that there’s no need to replace the shocks on the Element kit. Same cannot be said for the Axial. Very disappointed nonetheless. And yeah, not that long ago when I noticed the increases on Holmes Hobbies site I almost crapped myself, and I’m a huge fan of Holmes stuff. Of my dozen rigs there’s something “Holmes” in every one of them. I get that certain circumstances are out of the retailers control, but still a swift kick in the danglies!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah with prices on the rise the expansion of my fleet will suffer. I wondered if this would happen. Been trying to get computer parts for over a year now............least the prices aren't as bad as the Rtx 30 series graphics cards..............

I guess everyone has an opinion on the axial stuff. For me the stuff has been great still running original scx10 plastic shocks for 5 years no leaks at all. Guess it all depends on the end use as to what's best. No experience with any of the element products I only have way to many axials.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
Yeah with prices on the rise the expansion of my fleet will suffer. I wondered if this would happen. Been trying to get computer parts for over a year now............least the prices aren't as bad as the Rtx 30 series graphics cards..............

I guess everyone has an opinion on the axial stuff. For me the stuff has been great still running original scx10 plastic shocks for 5 years no leaks at all. Guess it all depends on the end use as to what's best. No experience with any of the element products I only have way to many axials.

Yeah, I think everyone has a different experience with each brand, with some better than others, but at the end of the day, it's still great to have options!
RCWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
https://nitrohobbies.com/axi90104/

Get it while they have it

I could be wrong but I think 239.99 was the normal msrp but most shops were selling it at 199.99. Also the demand for these things is crazy too and the supply is not all that great at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions. From yours I have also found out Dollar Hobbyz and Absolute Hobby, all of which I think we can categorize them as being the smaller stores which allow them to have better price and not have to oblige with the MSRP all the time.

Do you guys have anymore stores that fall into that same category? Thanks in advance!
Cheapskate Modeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Modeller View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. From yours I have also found out Dollar Hobbyz and Absolute Hobby, all of which I think we can categorize them as being the smaller stores which allow them to have better price and not have to oblige with the MSRP all the time.

Do you guys have anymore stores that fall into that same category? Thanks in advance!

It’s not a matter of msrp in this case, horizon in general raised their prices so therefore you’ll eventually see all the shops carrying axial and other manufacturers reflect that. The price is going up on their end too not just ours. So if you planned on getting one, Jump on one for the old price before they catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
As much as Joe sucks, please tell me how he’s responsible for international containers cost skyrocket from 2k to 20 k ?

Now back to RC?

Hang up and Drive
Economics 102. 2nd class.

HOW GOVERNMENT POLICY DRIVE COSTS UP.

It not hard. But being able to add 1+1 and getting 2 for an answer is a key factor in comprehending how Government Policy effect the price of EVERYTHING YOU BUY. Inlcuding Luxery Items like RCs.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
RCC Addict

How much do you think things will go up when CON-gress and Good Old Joe and Kamalatoe Harrass pass a VAT on our toys, which are nearly ALL Imported from China...?
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Buy them now before that happens problem solved.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Default Did the price of the Builder Kit go up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Economics 102. 2nd class.

HOW GOVERNMENT POLICY DRIVE COSTS UP.

It not hard. But being able to add 1+1 and getting 2 for an answer is a key factor in comprehending how Government Policy effect the price of EVERYTHING YOU BUY. Inlcuding Luxery Items like RCs.

Nice dodge, now answer.
You could have at least said” the Golden Rule of business”

And slow down my dog types better!
Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I wasn't even intending on building an SCX10ii, but I don't care for the SCX10iii so I snagged a kit off of eBay at the old price.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Did the price of the Builder Kit go up? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Went with a 10.2 builder KIT for my first 1/10. Help with plans? 93civEJ1 General Crawlers 18 03-26-2021 09:16 AM
Wraith Spawn Builder Kit? UTVUGRUSTY Newbie General 10 05-31-2016 06:53 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM