Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: F*@k'd ... Help me find the problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #1

Default F*@k'd ... Help me find the problem

So I got everything together and was pretty excited. Got the wiring laid out with everyones help and buttoned up. Thought it was weird that it doesn't roll if I push it. Ok so let me ask.. Do your 10 3's roll of you push them? My wheels have maybe a 1/2 inch play but don't roll. If I give any throttle it sounds like a dead cat don't want to make things worse. I thought it might have been the rear axle because when I unhook it the front wheels will roll. When I turn the rear axles unhooked... They roll so it's it tranny?

Thoughts
TheDirtywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: F*@k'd ... Help me find the problem

When you say you unhook the front wheels what are you doing? removing the driveshaft, or the wheels?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
When you say you unhook the front wheels what are you doing? removing the driveshaft, or the wheels?
When I removed the rear axle and disconnected the driveshaft the front wheels roll.. Yet the rear axles also moved freely

Last edited by TheDirtywheel; 06-08-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Check to see if the dig is in the locked position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

On mine, with everything fully installed, it will roll 1/2" front to back. I narrowed it down to the tranny. I think the gear mesh is a little loose through the whole thing and it equates to rotational slop at the forward and rear outputs of the T case. My guess is this wont be fixed until someone offers a machined gear set... or a way to mount a VFD in there... hmm...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
Check to see if the dig is in the locked position

I have a feeling it maybe DIG but with everything installed it doesn't seem to matter if it is in the lock vs. unlock position. When using DIG on a build that is working properly, does it make a lot of noise?
Old 06-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

No dig will not make any noise. why do you mention noise?

If it were my truck I would have torn it down by now. Check and figure out what will spin and what wont, whatever isnt spinning gets taken apart and inspected, the problem should be there.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-09-2020 at 03:44 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
No dig will not make any noise. why do you mention noise?

If it were my truck I would have torn it down by now. Check and figure out what will spin and what wont, whatever isnt spinning gets taken apart and inspected, the problem should be there.
Fair enough. I just haven't had allot of time between work, coupled with not knowing if I should start with the axles or the tranny based on what I have posted above. I'm guessing that since the rear axle spins freely when disconnected, that the issue lies in the transmission...
Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Check the motor bolt Pattern position is matched to the pinion size. I did it wrong, not sure How but i had the same problem.
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtywheel View Post
I have a feeling it maybe DIG but with everything installed it doesn't seem to matter if it is in the lock vs. unlock position. When using DIG on a build that is working properly, does it make a lot of noise?

It’s a little noisy

ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABeast View Post
Check the motor bolt Pattern position is matched to the pinion size. I did it wrong, not sure How but i had the same problem.
Update!

This was closest... But I'm still working out the kinks and now have more, different issues. So first off I went to look at the motor bolt pattern even though I was pretty sure it was good. Bolt pattern was good but I had the pinion a little deep so I adjusted it. The wheel issue that was confusing me was dumb.... Somehow with my son coming in and looking at everything while I was building...I didn't fully tighten the beadlock down.

I disconnected the dig and the 2 speed just to check things one at a time and it works. Everything was cool.. Nice and controlled although my DX5c beeps allot. In trying to fix it I hot calibrate and somehow after that.. The Jeep is sooo fast it's uncontrollable.

Trial by fire, on to the next problem

Thanks everyone
Old 06-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Update!

This was closest... But I'm still working out the kinks and now have more, different issues. So first off I went to look at the motor bolt pattern even though I was pretty sure it was good. Bolt pattern was good but I had the pinion a little deep so I adjusted it. The wheel issue that was confusing me was dumb.... Somehow with my son coming in and looking at everything while I was building...I didn't fully tighten the beadlock down.

I disconnected the dig and the 2 speed just to check things one at a time and it works. Everything was cool.. Nice and controlled although my DX5c beeps allot. In trying to fix it I hot calibrate and somehow after that.. The Jeep is sooo fast it's uncontrollable.

Thanks everyone

"Sooo fast," is not optimal for a crawler. What motor, esc, pinion are you running?
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Update!

Thanks everyone
Good to hear you got it sorted for now. I think I’m going to try to fix the clicking this weekend, tear down the tranny and try the foil mod to tighten the input gears on the shafts.
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr8 View Post
"Sooo fast," is not optimal for a crawler. What motor, esc, pinion are you running?
Yes, it's odd. Everything was very controlled and the throttle was progressive and now it's very on/off.

It's a 35turn Trailmaster with the HW 1080 and stock gearing. I think I'm just going to delete the profile and rebind.

F*@k'd ... Help me find the problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me find the problem? ProfitOfDoom Axial SCX-10 19 04-20-2013 12:02 AM
Problem with Tekin RS system in my LCC, will a BEC fix my problem? rcboy514 Electronics 3 01-12-2012 05:55 PM
Tekin Problem or Radio Problem? Harvo Electronics 8 07-30-2010 06:02 AM
Little bit of a problem, Possibly big problem... C_Money Electronics 11 03-08-2010 05:49 PM
* Problem * Clicking Problem on my 1/18th clodman General Crawlers 6 04-08-2006 08:40 AM